FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 99817 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Thursday may work and yes you are a cave man.  I will show you what I'm working with...Ill have a entire rig setup for you as well.  Use it as desired. 

As a side note the guy I picked up this rig from successfully fishes dry dropper rigs on it all the time.  I haven't gotten their yet.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 12:16 PM »
I'm so new and oblivious to fly fishing I put a 4x tippett on a 4wt and a pheasant tail and slowly strip it in. Or I will toss a dry and let it drift. I need to learn the art of it more.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 12:25 PM »
I'm so new and oblivious to fly fishing I put a 4x tippett on a 4wt and a pheasant tail and slowly strip it in. Or I will toss a dry and let it drift. I need to learn the art of it more.

You just need to tag along with someone that knows what they are doing. I am not even close to a pro but I was self taught years ago. I then tagged along with a new buddy and learned even more. Sometimes you have to keep at it to figure things out on your own but sometimes you just need to stand back, watch and learn. feels good when it all comes together. Catching fish is a whole other thing. Great way to start is panfish to get your casts, and hook set timing down. I will be targeting some smallies in a few weeks with my 4wt, that will be fun!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 12:51 PM »
You just need to tag along with someone that knows what they are doing. I am not even close to a pro but I was self taught years ago. I then tagged along with a new buddy and learned even more. Sometimes you have to keep at it to figure things out on your own but sometimes you just need to stand back, watch and learn. feels good when it all comes together. Catching fish is a whole other thing. Great way to start is panfish to get your casts, and hook set timing down. I will be targeting some smallies in a few weeks with my 4wt, that will be fun!

Yup, I've pretty much taught myself through forums like this and reading online.  By going on trips with friends to various place I've met plenty of people who have taught me a lot but never really had a "mentor" and my father isn't one for fishing.  I've been lucky enough to be able to use a friends hunting camp up near the Salmon River and two other gentlemen were there when we arrive.  Come to find out they are quite possibly two of the best fisherman I've met.  The senior (both named john) was a guide for many many year so he's taught me a lot but those two consistently out fish the rest of us, doesn't matter if we are striper fishing or trout fishing, they can straight up catch fish.  Now that I think about it I've met some great people because of this sports.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I learned fly fishing at 7 and was very much into it.  Read and studied it all.  Tied thousands of patterns.  Got out of it and back into it.  Bit of a learning curve for sure. 

Any of you want to meet up on the farmington by all means come learn along with me.  Just have an open mind and willingness to catch. 

Read Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniels!

westernmas

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I learned fly fishing at 7 and was very much into it.  Read and studied it all.  Tied thousands of patterns.  Got out of it and back into it.  Bit of a learning curve for sure. 

Any of you want to meet up on the farmington by all means come learn along with me.  Just have an open mind and willingness to catch. 

Read Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniels!

Someone's been in UpCountry lately.... ;D
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Someone's been in UpCountry lately.... ;D

I mean there really is no other spot.  Granted I didn't learn about that book from them...but they have thousands of my dollars...

Only one brown last night....16-17" fought hard. 

westernmas

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Sadly it is probably the closest fly shop to me as well.  BG has some decent flies but they jacked up the prices on them so I don't really go there much anymore.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Upcountry isnt cheap either and while I use to enjoy tying...id rather spend the money and fish more.  The tungsten perdigons are costing me.  Let me know about Thursday.  If you are not available I'm sticking to taking my sales team to happy hour.  If we fish...that can wait!

westernmas

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Upcountry isnt cheap either and while I use to enjoy tying...id rather spend the money and fish more.  The tungsten perdigons are costing me.  Let me know about Thursday.  If you are not available I'm sticking to taking my sales team to happy hour.  If we fish...that can wait!

I enjoy tying but I'm just not efficient enough to keep up with the amount of flies that I lose and unless I'm following a video I can only tie a handful of patterns.  It is a winter thing for me.  Helps keep me sane when it gets dark at 4-5.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Yes.  Losing flies.  I do that a LOT.  First move that allowed me to catch more.  Risk the nymphs to rocks all day. 

Soon though...June.  Sulphur soft hackles.  I won't be fishing a mono rig for those.  Nice long casts and swings!

lowaccord66

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Another doz or so last night.  Nothing crazy big.  Just lots of fun.  Same fly combo that ive been using.  The frenchy is killing it.

westernmas

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Nice work Jon. I finally had a few hours to fish after work so headed up to the west branch.  Got my first dry fly trout of the year. It was a chunky rainbow. Tons of caddis coming off the water n she crushed my hornberg. Moved downstream and got a nice brookie on a ausable ugly.

Forgot my net so the pics aren’t great.

Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Likewise Pat.  See you tonight!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2019, 11:28 AM »