FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fixing a boat  (Read 5403 times)

sell

Re: fixing a boat
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2004, 05:02 AM »
You didn't say what you were trying to fix, crack or hole or what.  If it is a crack be sure to drill into each end of the crack to stop it from going any further.  Go to Walmart and get a quart of Bondo sand the area  and make sure it is clean and bondo away. I work in an RV factory and fix dozens of cracks and holes eveyday with bondo and have had  no returns yet.

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2004, 07:07 AM »
I'm not sure about Bondo,  might not be compatible with the material the boat is made out of and pop out when wet.  I had my fiberglass canoe fixed with resin and fiberglass sheets. My friend who fixed it,  used the grinder to expand the crack at the bow and even added some yellow pigment to color the resin.  I had that canoe for last 10 years so i think that fix is permanent. It worked real well.        J.
GONE FISH'G.......

peple of the perch

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2004, 07:44 AM »
it fell off the trailer on the freeway. so their is a couple of small holes and a big crack

wyogator

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2004, 08:56 AM »
If you use too much catalyst, the resin sets up and hardens too quickly, and starts to smoke. Roger is right about the crack. You need to drill a hole in each end to keep the crack from spreading. Do not use Bondo. It is designed for auto body repair and will not work on fiberglass boats. Boaters World has polyurethane fiberglass resin and cloth, which is E-glass. Just don't use K glass.

peple of the perch

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2004, 03:38 PM »
i got somthing call ed marien txe is that good thanks for the help

wyogator

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2004, 04:45 PM »
If it is polyurethane fiberglass, then it is good. If you are not sure, call and ask the people at Boaters World.

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2004, 07:16 AM »
Bondo is a brand name. They do make products that will work. I used some about 8 years ago but did not keep the boat so I can not say how well there products hold up. Good luck.

daffydone

« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2004, 07:33 AM »
P O T P, when you mix the resin and the catalyst, it makes a chemical reaction, depending on your mix, the more catalyst you use, the faster it will react. I would dip the f-glass in the mix and then apply it, you need to make sure it is good and saturated. make sure to wear rubber gloves and work fast, it gets very hot, hot enough to catch fire. dispose of the excess mix in water!  read the directions and follw them to the T. you can clean up any mess using thinner. if mixed properly, it should take 15 to thirty min. to harden. P.S. this can be messy. good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.