FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: AD's pics (few more trout.....)  (Read 63879 times)

AD

• Born to fish
AD's pics (few more trout.....)
« on: Sep 07, 2004, 10:40 PM »
I worked up in alaska this summer outside of Homer Alaska in the Tutka bay fish hatchery, a hatchery run by Cook Inlet Aquaculture association (CIAA).   I had plenty of time to do some fishing and thought I would share the pictures.  

Here is a bunch (15) nice pink salmon that have not gotten their spawning colors yet

4 nice silver salmon

10 Red salmon

1 halibut 3 cod and 2 sole, an average days catch.  

A sunflower starfish that I caught

A sole

A nice Dolly Varden

top is a male pink salmon colored up in his spawning colors and bottom is a female pink not colored up yet

Here is the catch of the summer and my lifetime, my 78 pound 57 inch halibut

A smaller 33 pound halibut but still a real nice fish

A nice grayling (this one is going on the wall, ill get it back in about a year)

Here is a picture of small bottom dwellign fish called a Searcher

A picture of one of the many Irish lords we caught

I had a good summer working in the hatchery.  Fidhing was amazing.   We caught tons of halibut (well technically they are called chickens under 100 pounds) ranging from 1 to 78 pounds, cod from 1 to about 20 pounds and lots of sole, Irish lords and many other bottom dwelling species.   I caught King, Red, silver, and pink salmon and dolly Varden too.    
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Alaskan Summer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2004, 11:37 PM »
Man,  :o that looks like you had one h#ll of a summer, great pictures, thanks so much for sharing, all those cool fish from Alaska.  :D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2004, 02:32 AM »
thanks it deffinatly was a great summer, I have a bunch more pictures too of the fish adn some of the scenery, if anyone wants to see them feel free to just ask

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2004, 04:44 AM »
Post them up bud...we're all drooling with envy ;D

Sounds like a great experience for sure.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2004, 05:09 AM »
yeah lets see them that first batch was great!!!
Scotty 

Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2004, 05:37 AM »
Alaska, you a lucky dog ;D Great pics, let's see more!

Chucker

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2004, 05:45 AM »
The halibut didn't taste too bad, either.  We had some for dinner Saturday night.  That, and I've got a piece of one of his reds in the fridge - his dad (Bensmen) smoked it.

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2004, 09:20 AM »
Sure, AD, post some more fishing pictures!  Since I only get out to the west coast about every 5 years or so, I'm drooling over the great fishing you had.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2004, 11:45 AM »
Bald Eagle, they were all over up there

Another bottom dwelling fish

A nce tail-shot of a humpback whale

A kelp Greenling (the meat is a blue color before you cook it)

A nice picture of a 25 pound halibut with the fishing pole I caught it on

Female King salmon and a male adn female chum salmon

A picture of me (needing a shave) holding up a nice male silver salmon

I managed to bring back about 160 pounds of fish, Pink, and red salmon, Dolly Varden, and Halibut.   
Enjoy.   ;D   

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2004, 04:26 PM »
Great times you had for sure man, thanks for sharing.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Jigwiggler

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Great pics!!  I have definately got to get up there some day! 
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2004, 03:37 PM »
Some would say that it is light too long up in Alaska way too long durign the summer, I say hey, its fine with me that way I could work a 10 hour day and still have plenty of sunlight to go fishing  ;D     I think I went fishing for the first full month I was there after work before I missed a day of fishing, didnt miss a whoel lot of days of fishing this summer.    Worked hard, bu had a lot of fun after work with fishing.    A summer well spent full of great memories.  Couldnt rightfully even say how many fish I caught, all I know is that there were so many that my arm was often sore from a good night of fishing.   
    Didnt get too many pictures, or any for that matter, of the black bears that were around up there, the tiems I saw them up close I was either running in the opposite dircetion, keeping an eye on them, holding the .338 or .280, or had forgotten my camera.   
    Met soem really amazing people up there that run some lodges for guests, a nd cheap for up there too, at $250 a night per person.    It is really a place that everyone should get to once in their life.   
     Out of Homer their are so many different fishing charters to go out on it would eb hard to choose, they range from 1-7 days out on the boat, the 7 day charters are amazing, I met a guy who had jsut gotten off of one adn had brought back off of it 700, yes seven hundred pounds of fish.    Those of coarse cost a bit more but would be well worth it.    The halibut charters you could usually expect to at leaste catch a 50 pounder with chances of bigger ones that that being pretty good, I saw them this summer come back with some pretty huge fish.   
     When we fished for halibut we could not go out nearly as far as the charters did.   But we could manage to catch a bunch of little ones (chickens) anyways.    A good night (3 hours) of fishing could produce lots of halibut and a few (1-3) in the 20 to 40 pound range.    We fished anywhere from 50-150 feet deep but found the best luck around 100 feet deep.   We also caught soem hefty cod while fishing for the halibut, a couple in the 20 pound range, and if you got into a school of them, two cod on your line at once was not unusual.   
     Dolly Varden in the stream near us ranged from 6 inches to a nice 21 incher that I landed, with a few more even bigger than that.    They were the main target earlier on as they were up in the stream feeding on the natural pink salmon hatch, the fry adn dead eggs.   They are a blast on light tackle.   
    Pinks were everywhere later on, we could have caught hundreds a night if we had stayed out fishign that late.    They were nailing pixie spoons one after the next, the spoon would barely hit the water if we casted into a school of them.    They fight really well, especially if they were not colored up adn ready for spawning yet.   Lots of fun on light and even medium tackle, a big one (8-10 pounds) took quite a while to land on a medium weight ugly stick lined with 8 pound test.   
     Reds and silver, we had to breeak out the heavey gear for.    The silvers are by far the best fighting salmon I have ever had the pleasure of hooking into.    They will make your drag scream and your pole bend to the limits, absolutly a blast to catch.    Reds wernt bad to catch either, although we had to snag them, that was legal, because they are filter feeders and would not bite.     We had to go to different areas to catch these (both the reds and silvers) because they did not run up the stream next to the hatchery.   We wanted to catch more Reds but near the end one of our fellow co-workers decided to run over a rock with our boat going full tilt, so that put an end to out lower unit on that boat adn an end to our longer trips away fishing.   
     Although I found a few reds in the stream next to the hatchery adn found that after about 30 casts in front of their noses you could get them angry enough to grab hold of your lure.   I landed a nice one on my medium ugly stick with the 8 pound test and that took next to forever.   
     If anyone is looking for a few good books to read I could really suggest a few.   here are three that come off the top of my head,   Alaskan Viking, The Alaskan Wolfman, adn North of the Sun, all three are real great books about alaska and peoples experience up there, with thte later two being stories of the earlier pioneer/trappers in alaska.   Well worth the reading.   
   Im working on trying to upload a bunch more pictured, but photobucket is not cooperating with my slow internet right now, but hopefully Ill get some more posted soon.   

Hookset

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Hey, that photo where you need the shave looks familiar to me.  Is that the pool in Homer down toward the end of the peninsula(or is it a spit) ????  Was just there a two years ago, can't wait to get back!!!!  Am I right???
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Hookset, yup that would be the spit pool,  ;D, those silvers in their were raised as fry by us, felt like harvesting cattle to me for some funny reason.   Yep you were right, they have it stocked for different runs, kind, silver, red, and pink runs.    But those would be my organizations silver's that we hatched out and raised till they were big enough to release.   

Yay, got a few more photo's up to share. 

This one is of the float system of 12 40 foot by 40 foot pends and 2 sheds that I worked on most of the time

We got a real kick out of this one, nobody bothered to tell the captain of the fish tender that you can only get into adn out of the lagoon over a 14 foot tide, well here is the result.  (good thing it was a flat bottomed tender).....    I think he is a little bit stuck    :laugh: :P

Pink salmon fry anyone?   

And here is a pic walking back to the hatchery and home from the floats, taken out accros the salt marsh 

fozsey

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Very nice....I would love to come visit... 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.