FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: AD's pics (few more trout.....)  (Read 63996 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: AD's open water fishing pics. (channel cat, goldeye????, 7/24/05)
« Reply #105 on: Jul 28, 2005, 10:50 AM »
AD, if there are numbers of cats present in the hole, they should let you know pretty quickly.  I would not sit on a hole for more than an hour unless you are catching multilple cats...usually i only give a hole 20 minutes.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #106 on: Jul 29, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Yeah guys its a tiny whole but the only one I can reach from shore in the stretch of river I have permission to fish.   The whole is real tiny Ill post a pic from the next time I go down.     If I had a boat things would be different but I can only fish this short section for now (getting permission for a section that looks a lot better hopefully)
    I suppose it would not be technically considered a whole, its a deeper section but its just behind a current break.   It is a spot that anybody in a boat would just pass up and so would I if I could but I cant.     
     Here in Montana I am allowed 6 setlines out at once, each setline can have 6 hooks off of them.    I bait them up toss them out and check them twice a day.     It isn't really fishing and I know that, but it has given us a little bit of fresh fish so that is nice.     I also cannot by rules and probably wouldn't anyways enter any fish I catch off of them into the tourney (I have a walleye that I caught off the lines that would be leading).     
     Dint think I have caught anything off of them since the 20th or so though.      :-\
      I did get out fishing for a bit today at some pond that was formed from a dammed coolly, it has pike panfish and evidently carp in it.    Didn't get any pike or panfish or carp.   If I was given time I would have put out a carp pole for sure and had some fun (this pond is infested with carp, and some big ones too)   But we were wanting to get back to the ranch where I am staying cause there is a lot of work that needs doing.     
       But for the cats right now I have what we believe is some cow and mule deer liver, and some goldeye, and maybe a few leftover rocky mountain oysters  :sick:      I am having some problem with bait steelers, not sure on the size of them but I am going to figure that out soon, I have been using both circle and regular hooks to see if there is a difference and no difference has shown.     
     I think the real reason why I'm not getting more fish is just its a bad spot to fish.
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #107 on: Jul 29, 2005, 10:47 PM »
  I am having some problem with bait steelers, not sure on the size of them but I am going to figure that out soon, I have been using both circle and regular hooks to see if there is a difference and no difference has shown.     

Probably a turtle.  I am constantly getting hits and small runs, but  miss a lot of hook sets.  Then it never fails a minute or so later you see a big tutle head pop up.  I have managed to hook into two snapping turtles, that is fight. 

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #108 on: Jul 29, 2005, 10:56 PM »
  I am having some problem with bait steelers, not sure on the size of them but I am going to figure that out soon, I have been using both circle and regular hooks to see if there is a difference and no difference has shown.     

Probably a turtle.  I am constantly getting hits and small runs, but  miss a lot of hook sets.  Then it never fails a minute or so later you see a big tutle head pop up.  I have managed to hook into two snapping turtles, that is fight. 

That very well could be I hadn't thought about turtles, the current seems a bit strong, but then again they are strong swimmers.     
    My other thoughts were maybe a mudpuppies?     Sometimes they like to eat bait.     And the other possibility is other people, but I'm 90% certain nobody has bothered my lines, but it is still hard to believe that I have had no fish in this long.       Oh well gives me something to ponder over and fiddle around with on the slow days.

Chucker

« Reply #109 on: Jul 30, 2005, 05:18 AM »
Time to dump a few cans of corn, cuz.  Pull those carp in.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #110 on: Jul 30, 2005, 08:47 AM »
Time to dump a few cans of corn, cuz.  Pull those carp in.

If I go back to that pond I sure as heck will.     I was just hoping to get one of those toothy critters that I remember so well from my past.      But we might be heading out to FT. Peck later this week so maybe Ill find one there.   

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #111 on: Jul 31, 2005, 07:47 PM »
AD, if there are numbers of cats present in the hole, they should let you know pretty quickly.  I would not sit on a hole for more than an hour unless you are catching multilple cats...usually i only give a hole 20 minutes.

AD BigRed's right on the money.That is crazy that you got the goldeye on a crank :o I target them with a tiny hook a split shot anywhere from 18-24" under a small float tipped with a small piece of crawler then steak them up and use an inline or three way rig for big cats check out the my tourney entry cat It was  caught it on fresh cut goldeye. :)

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #112 on: Jul 31, 2005, 08:10 PM »

AD BigRed's right on the money.That is crazy that you got the goldeye on a crank :o I target them with a tiny hook a split shot anywhere from 18-24" under a small float tipped with a small piece of crawler then steak them up and use an inline or three way rig for big cats check out the my tourney entry cat It was  caught it on fresh cut goldeye. :)
    I cant seem to catch them on a little bober hook slpilshot and worm,    They will be surfacing all around my bobber but wont touch the nite crawler.   I have tried dpths of 6 inches to two feet deep set for depth off of the bobber and still nothing.     Wishin I had my fly rod here in MT I bet I could catch a lot that way.    But I am not sure how to catch the goldeye effectivly enough to keep the lines baoted up.     
     If I had my way I wouldnt be fishing this section but its the only spot Ive got permission to fish off of from shore, and with no boat my options are severly limited.    If per chance I do get out in a boat on the river going is still tough without a depthfinder to find the holes.    I have been reading up on your posts and bigred's and feel I could find some cats, maybe not monsters but a few more at leaste, if I could find the holes.   
     Plus I have found out that somebody is infact tampering with my set lines, or at leaste has once or twice.     

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #113 on: Aug 01, 2005, 12:45 PM »
 Plus I have found out that somebody is infact tampering with my set lines, or at leaste has once or twice.     

I would buy a couple of those big bear traps, once they walk around your area and try to mess with your lines, or steal your fish, they will have a big steel jaw around their ankles, they will probably think twice next time.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #114 on: Aug 01, 2005, 10:39 PM »

I would buy a couple of those big bear traps, once they walk around your area and try to mess with your lines, or steal your fish, they will have a big steel jaw around their ankles, they will probably think twice next time.

I thought about it, considered it.   I was thinking more of a spare, jsut to let them know.  But then I got to thinking if it is the Fish and Wildlife service and I catch one in a trap somehow I do not think it would make them very happy, unhappy law officers make very unhappy people.       
      The lines are prety much devoid of bait so Im thinking I may just pull them, still havnt gotten hold of the families cousin to see if I can set lines off of their property.     
     I did catch a really nice rug today  :P     It was a keeper, brought it in and parked it up on shore sure wish people would not dump their trash in the water.     >:(

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #115 on: Aug 02, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I once fished a lake and on 5 consecutive casts I landed a bread bag. 

OTIS

« Reply #116 on: Aug 02, 2005, 12:11 PM »
I fished a lake once and all I caught were cat food cans!  ;D
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #117 on: Aug 02, 2005, 04:49 PM »
Heh a bread bag and cat food, odd things to catch.   
    Well I got to town for a bit today and as a side thought I stopped and bought a few bait, asked for a dozen and what I got was about 4 mixed bag of blacknose and redside dace, white sucker, fathead and some sorts of shiners.    Looks like this bait store did a little of their own bait collecting.       
   Went to put some on the setlines and not 5 minutes after I tossed one back in I got a 18-20 inch walleye, gonna be tasty for sure   :thumbup_smilie:    Kinda odd getting one at 2 PM, I was just baiting them up and looked at that one line and it was jerking all over so I got a walleye.     
      Tossed a pole out with some bait and a bobber, and the goldeye were marauding it like a school of piranha's.   If I had had a better size bobber I could have caught a bunch more of them but I landed 5 kept 3.    Gonna eat 2 of them just to try them and gonna use one for bait if needed.     
       But one of my setlines, another one is shot so Ill have to fix that one, that leaves me with 4 in the water and the two out need repairing and one thats in the water does too.      But thats okay I have the 4 baited up with live bait and am hoping for a cat or walleye in the AM.   
   Ill see if I can upload the pictures later when I have more time

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
« Reply #118 on: Aug 02, 2005, 05:14 PM »
There isn't a pile of meat on those goldeye and they are a fairly bony fish.  They are a bit of a local delicacy smoked, so if you have the opportunity, try that.

Derek

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #119 on: Aug 02, 2005, 05:18 PM »
Heh a bread bag and cat food, odd things to catch.   
    Well I got to town for a bit today and as a side thought I stopped and bought a few bait, asked for a dozen and what I got was about 4 mixed bag of blacknose and redside dace, white sucker, fathead and some sorts of shiners.    Looks like this bait store did a little of their own bait collecting.       
   Went to put some on the setlines and not 5 minutes after I tossed one back in I got a 18-20 inch walleye, gonna be tasty for sure   :thumbup_smilie:    Kinda odd getting one at 2 PM, I was just baiting them up and looked at that one line and it was jerking all over so I got a walleye.     
      Tossed a pole out with some bait and a bobber, and the goldeye were marauding it like a school of piranha's.   If I had had a better size bobber I could have caught a bunch more of them but I landed 5 kept 3.    Gonna eat 2 of them just to try them and gonna use one for bait if needed.     
       But one of my setlines, another one is shot so Ill have to fix that one, that leaves me with 4 in the water and the two out need repairing and one thats in the water does too.      But thats okay I have the 4 baited up with live bait and am hoping for a cat or walleye in the AM.   
   Ill see if I can upload the pictures later when I have more time

Pictures:

There isn't a pile of meat on those goldeye and they are a fairly bony fish.  They are a bit of a local delicacy smoked, so if you have the opportunity, try that.

Dont have a smoker, I fillet them and seemed to have gotten as much meat as I have off of perch in the past, they taste bad Ill just toss them, saved the guts and head for bait still.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.