FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat deck (floor) replacement  (Read 21445 times)

jo-jos_jigs

Boat deck (floor) replacement
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:53 PM »
I have a few soft spots in my boat floor and was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom on replacing the floor. Is this a job I could accomplish or should I just let it slide. I would like to get a couple more seasons out of it if possible. It is a 19 1/2 fiberglass bowrider. I got it for a good price and have made alot of mods to it to make it a lil more fisherman friendly. Like I said I just would like to get more out of it, without it being a hazard. Thanks in advance.

Dave
To err is human, to forgive is divine......... Neither of which is my policy

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Boat deck (floor) replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:22 AM »
I would have to say Dave, there is no EASY way to go about this. This no different than a tooth with a cavity. You can ignore it and put up with the pain, you can yank it and deal with the hole, you can patch it knowing you will have to go back and fix it later, or you can gut it out and cover it properly.

Mike

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:33 AM »
well said mike...let me add doing it right the first time will be great for your boat, they dont like band aids. it will also be good for you to familiarize yourself with your boat...my starcraft bowrider is really pretty easy to remove  everything and get down to the bare bones floor and this will help you find out where wires and hoses, fuel lines etc. as mac mentioned. most times you can remove the old pieces of plywood floor from your boat and use them as templates for your new pieces. good luck and let us know how you make out!
Scotty 

RECORDBREAKER

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Like Mac stated, it is a big job to replace the whole floor if needed as you do have to remove everything. I replaced mine on a 19-1/2 ft. sea nymph 4 years ago. Thought i could take it out in pieces and use as a template but no such luck. Replaced it with pressure treated plywood and put a rug on it. If i had to do it again, i wouldn't use the plywood with rug on top as beds budding, etc on rug necessitates a vacuum every now and then. I would use that new decking material they have at home depot or lowes and forget about the rug. Washdown system is alot easier than vacuuming the rug.
 It is alot easier to fit pieces of this decking material ( don't know what they call it) in boat  one at a time instead of trying to form fit large pieces of plywood in boat. Just my opinion. Price wise and labor time involved it might be to your advantage.

Slimechaser

• A sconni lawn ornament.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:12 AM »
JO JO,
All good advice above. I did a floor in my 18' starcraft, and it wasn't too bad. All gas and such was in the back and all electrical was run high (under the gunwales). I went with something like carpet (ordered from cabella's) and 3/4" treated plywood. Original floor was 1/2", created a small problem when some holes didn't line back up in the dash boards. When talking to the guy at cabella's he mentioned that he had recently done his floor. My boat is Aluminum and his was glass, my boat has styrofoam and his had that blown in foam (expanding type stuff you'd use to insulate the home). My foam doesn't retain water but his did, he said it lightened his boat by nearly 1,000lbs!
If you have a garage and can suspend some things from the ceiling, it makes the job much easier as you don't have to disconnect everything. Chances are (as in my case) your "soft spots" are allready completely rotted and your actually walking on the foam underneath. If you plan to keep the boat, I reccomend you do the whole floor, plus seats (in the bow area). Don't let anybody try to sell you marine grade plywood, it is the best but the price will knock you out! My original floor wasn't treated at all and still lasted over twenty years!
Good luck, let us know how it turns out. - Slime
Rockbass - not just another pretty fish!
Got nymph?         I do!

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:44 PM »
one word of advise to go along with the words of wisdom in previous posts...."Do it Right the first time....or Don't do it at all.....I would suggest its time to move the ole girl along for something else...or commit to a longer relationship....Grump  8)

jo-jos_jigs

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Thanks guys for all of the good advice. Like a few of you said "do it right the first time". Thats exactly what I wanted to do, I was just wondering whether or not it would be feasible to do. Now all I gotta do is find some time! Again, thanks to everyone!!!

Dave
To err is human, to forgive is divine......... Neither of which is my policy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.