FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: cormorants  (Read 3672 times)

oatkasut

Re: cormorants
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Sounds like a great idea; get a few mergansers while your at it!At least until the population is in check.

hinkydo

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:42 AM »
I say that is a great proposal, hope the same happens here in the states. Feds have to get in on this.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 06:00 AM »
I would keep a shotgun in the boat at all times....  8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I say that is a great proposal, hope the same happens here in the states. Feds have to get in on this.
Feds are "in" on it.  They are the ones that protect them.
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:19 AM »
I would keep a shotgun in the boat at all times....  8)

same here!!!

And a couple cases of shells.

Pauldudley

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Shooting practice... 8)..Nice idea to curb their population and spread

tomturkey

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:03 AM »
I was in a new sport shop in the UP. There was a commercial fisherman in their buying a box of 10 ga. shells. After he left I asked the owner why he was buying the shells. He said it was to shoot cormorant's with. The guy said that the cormorants were putting holes in the fish in the nets with their beaks making them unsalable. This was happening in over 100 feet of water. I told the owner that had I known I would have bought the guy another box of shells.

That trip I was standing in front of the motel I stayed at watching a huge steady stream of the nasty things fly across the end of the bay for about 5 minutes. One of the guys at the restaurant near by said one of the lake front houses on the bay could not figure out what all of the sea gulls were doing in front of his house. He took is boat out and scooped up almost 2 5 gallon buckets of perch that the cormorants had killed and left.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Was told by a biologist in Alpena Michigan several years ago the the brown trout planted had a survival rate of only 1/10th of 1 percent in Thunder Bay thanks to the cormorants and walleye. He said the cormorants actually could be seen chasing down the brown trout right after they were planted. They used to have a brown trout festival in Alpena as the brown trout fishing in the bay was phenomenal. Not sure if they do anymore.

I deal with another species of predatory bird on my fish farm: Great Blue Herons. I pay a hundred dollars a year for a federal permit to take the ones out that don't respond to nonlethal measures.

Here's a brook trout that was too big to swallow so the bird just kept pecking at it. This was a week ago. The light areas are due to leaves that the fish rolled in as the bird impaled it. Needless to say the bird is no longer with us as he made the mistake of coming back for another try. I was ready with a goose load to reach out and touch someone.  >:(

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2019, 11:01 AM »
That would be great here in upstate ny....but between the "do gooders." In Albany and washington they'll never go for it.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

woodsman

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2019, 07:33 PM »
At this point it's only a proposal.
Things will change or even completely disappear.
Sort of like Trumps promise to have the Mexicans pay for the wall.
We also have "do gooders." here.
Far from a done deal.
Living proof \"that beer builds better bellies\".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.