FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Quick Trip to Central NY  (Read 2077 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
A Quick Trip to Central NY
« on: Jun 12, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I had a number of things going on in Central NY this past weekend, but my fly rod was never too far away for my spare time.

This is cow country, along with a few canola fields popping up.  My photo doesn't do justice to the huge expanse of yellow flowers.

I fished one stream that drains high ground and was still stuck in early spring at 49*.  The action was slow, but I came up with 1 wild rainbow.

There were a couple items of interest at this spot.  First, as I was making my way down to favorable water, a bus pulled up and this coed group scampered down the bank and aced me out.  I was more amused than angered ;D

Then I came upon this.....littering at best, but probably worse on several levels.

Things looked up as I fished lower elevations over the next few days.  I've come to believe that when the smell of cow manure is in the air, browns won't be far behind.   This trip did nothing to change that belief.  I stuck with my 3-weight and mainly elk hair or parachute caddis patterns.  At times, an emerger as a trailer produced best.  Earlier in the day, the streams would start out cool, hatches hadn't kicked in, and beadheads did well.  But this is small water and water temps jumped in the sun, with hatches and surface action solid.

This wasn't a big fish trip, although I had 2 follows and missed 1 take in a tough spot by a bridge abutment from sizable trout.....meaning 15" plus or minus in this small water.  It was, however, a big numbers trip.  The action would ebb and flow with the strength of the hatches, but I brought over 50 browns in the 6"-11" range to hand in a little over 10 hours of fishing over the weekend.  NY achieves high stocking densities, plus quite a few wild browns have taken hold in spots.

I fished easily accessible public water and still saw few other anglers. 

One spot that was tricky, but hot was the downstream side of a large culvert.  I love skating caddis patterns downstream from me and this spot was perfect.  Just had to mindful of where I was, because the step down wasn't an option.

But if I have to make rooster tails to catch fish, I'm in. :laugh:

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: A Quick Trip to Central NY
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Very nice Jim. Looks like a fun trip.

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Cool, wonderful pics as always. It’s a shame what people throw out, or treat like garbage  though it clearly isn’t >:(   I know what you mean about skating a Caddis, I’ve seen some awesome takes while doing so. I’ve found I need to keep telling myself to strip set when I’m doing that. I think I’ve missed more fish by doing the traditional hookset, and if they miss, a strip set leaves the fly in the water for a possible follow up or another fish that was competing.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Nice report, pretty parr marks on the browns.

Those "coeds" have quite the attire on  ;D

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I also seem to miss a lot of strikes when I skate flies. Part of the game.  A strip set can help if my rod tip is down for the strike. 

Cool, wonderful pics as always. It’s a shame what people throw out, or treat like garbage  though it clearly isn’t >:(   I know what you mean about skating a Caddis, I’ve seen some awesome takes while doing so. I’ve found I need to keep telling myself to strip set when I’m doing that. I think I’ve missed more fish by doing the traditional hookset, and if they miss, a strip set leaves the fly in the water for a possible follow up or another fish that was competing.

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Jim, You find the fish no matter what state your in.Nice markings on those Browns.

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Nice photographs.

I feel stupid but what is the "garbage" in the photo?  Just not seeing it. 
# SAND

deerhunter

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2018, 07:35 AM »
great report and pics, jim. love fishing ny. will be hittin the big lake in aug

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Thanks, Jay.

The pile is what's left of a plastic bag with animal bones/remains.

Nice photographs.

I feel stupid but what is the "garbage" in the photo?  Just not seeing it.

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Thanks Jim.  I see it now.

# SAND

Swampking89

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Thanks for visiting my neck of woods!!we have tons of great fishing here in CNY!walleyes inOnieda,trout and LL salmon in the finger lakes,the St. Lawerance river for smallies,pike,and monster muskies in the fall.and don't forget lake Ontario for salmon and trout!!oh yeah,the Adirondacks for more bass,pike,lakers(touge)and in remote lakes,big brookies and rainbows!!tell your friends!!the welcome mat is always out!!

Jim C.

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Thanks.  Definitely a great variety of quality fishing in your area 8)  I have little ace up my sleeve by having lived before and spent a lot of time in the Albany to Buffalo corridor.

Thanks for visiting my neck of woods!!we have tons of great fishing here in CNY!walleyes inOnieda,trout and LL salmon in the finger lakes,the St. Lawerance river for smallies,pike,and monster muskies in the fall.and don't forget lake Ontario for salmon and trout!!oh yeah,the Adirondacks for more bass,pike,lakers(touge)and in remote lakes,big brookies and rainbows!!tell your friends!!the welcome mat is always out!!

franklin fisher

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2018, 07:07 PM »
  Nice post Jim.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Something to be said about being on foot and having solitude like that.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.