FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Invasive species  (Read 4014 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Invasive species
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:40 AM »
ain't good
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

gotagetm

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2021, 09:49 AM »
Think not good

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2021, 11:45 AM »
maybe if we lower the panfish limit  everything will be ok
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2021, 03:24 PM »

They said it is strong enough to tow a boat , if it’s in skinny it’s in the rest I’m sure

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:33 PM »
maybe if we lower the panfish limit  everything will be ok

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Another one that hitch hiked in ballast water. When will it end?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Can’t stop Mother Nature. She’ll have what she wants.

And who are we to complain.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:39 PM »
Can’t stop Mother Nature. She’ll have what she wants.

And who are we to complain.

Rg

I would say Mother Nature is getting a big hand in this case.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Ya know.....back when there was all the hoopla about zebra mussels, everyone was all up in arms. There’s no stopping them and they haven’t done any permanent damage that I’ve seen. They’re here and everything in nature has adapted. It’ll be the same with this is my guess.

Humans always think they can control and alter the world around them. In fact, we are just a part of it. We don’t own it. We can’t control it, we can only adapt to the natural changes that have occurred for millions of years before us and continue.

Fact is we just don’t like change.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Ya know.....back when there was all the hoopla about zebra mussels, everyone was all up in arms. There’s no stopping them and they haven’t done any permanent damage that I’ve seen. They’re here and everything in nature has adapted. It’ll be the same with this is my guess.

Humans always think they can control and alter the world around them. In fact, we are just a part of it. We don’t own it. We can’t control it, we can only adapt to the natural changes that have occurred for millions of years before us and continue.

Fact is we just don’t like change.

Rg

Somewhat true but a lot of the invasive species we are dealing with are anything but natural. Some of them do need to be controlled and are costing a lot of money to do so. We have lakes out my way that are getting absolutely choked with Eurasion water millfoil and 35 other species of aquatic plants. It costs thousands of dollars annually just keep ahead of milfoil in just an average size lake. One of the reasons some lake associations are blocking access to outside boats. Zebras do cause serious issues with water intakes, and smother and out compete native species of mussels too extinction. They can pile up on the bottom, decompose and cause botulism. Spiny Water fleas are worthless as fish forage vs. native species, and believe it or we now have Asian tape worms in our Great Lakes now. I could go on and on. I believe we are over 180 species of exotic invasive now in the Great Lakes.

VHS came in from ballast water and is costing fish farms millions of dollars in fish health testing. My bill if I choose to sell fish across state lines is several thousand dollars. Some of us have gone out of business because we can't afford it.

I guess will just have to agree to disagree.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:28 AM »
zebras around here have cleared up the waters big time!  that has led to massive weed growth.  massive weed growth leads to complaints by non fisher types.  that leads to weed control with chemicals that poison the fisher types and their families. 

one pay lake by me(run by moron left wing city types) makes you spray off your boat before launch.  what a joke that is.  that dont get them off at all.  whats more ignorant is the lake is already infested with zebras so it does nothing but cause hassles for the boat owners.  its too late for that water already.  like a lot of laws passed on feelings and not facts its useless.

the algae in that article sounds pretty devastating! 

There are still invasives that have not reached some bodies of water. Nothing wrong with being careful. Not all invasives spread by fragmentation so spraying the boats off would work.

Clearer water increases light penetration allowing macrophytes to grow into deeper water. With some of the invasives they will proliferate regardless, as it's what they do. The non anglers were over spraying macrophytes long before the invasives showed up.

What's amazing how little nutrients it takes to fuel algae and macrophytes. I found that out fertilizing ponds for fingerling production. Get just a little carried away and you've got a mess.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:45 AM »
The thing about some of the invasives is they don't know when to quit. And if you think that only happens on shallow lakes think again. I know a glacial kettle lake I fish out east that averages 40 feet deep, but recently curly leaf pondweed got in there. Now it's growing down to 20 feet in the ultra clear water (water clarity is 25 feet) and comes up all the way to the surface in large masses.

Over time excessively weed infested lakes fill in faster than normal, and are prone to winterkill if heavy snow builds up on the ice, blocks out sunlight, photosynthesis stops, and the weeds decompose using up oxygen.

The excessive weeds also take up nutrients that could be part of the phytoplankton zooplankton part of the food chain that is essential for fish fry and even larger fish.

Another disavantage is in excessively weedy lakes it's tougher for predator fish to crop down the forage fish such as bluegills. Usually, but not always, ponds and lakes with excessive weed grow have stunted bluegills due to that. 

Pequod1

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2021, 04:48 AM »
Thank you. Excellent explanation Taxid.

FrankM

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:47 AM »
It is becoming increasingly obvious that merchant ship captains must be the most careless, ignorant creatures in the world.  Exxon Valdez, all the foreign crap introduced into US waters by not following regulations on how to handle ballast water. Sailing one of the largest ships in the world into the Suez Canal during a sandstorm. It will never end. The government can make all the rules they want.  It will make them and their naive supporters feel good but if the rules aren't followed they are useless.
Also the people that thought it was a good idea to import cheap Chinese crap on untreated pallets can be added to the list of vermin.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.