FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 99764 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #360 on: Aug 23, 2020, 01:36 PM »
The two pics from this morning were from the stretch of the housy that I had intended to show you.

bogtrotter

« Reply #361 on: Aug 23, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Looks like a beautiful run!

Fortunately, there's always next year for you to show it to me.

lowaccord66

« Reply #362 on: Aug 23, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Looks like a beautiful run!

Fortunately, there's always next year for you to show it to me.

I'm learning it more and more each day. Loaded with smallies right now.  The trout are all in thermal refuges that are off limits to fishing until end of September I believe. 

Kristin and I went back this evening and caught over a dozen to about 2lbs.  They fought hard! 

caught_the_fever

« Reply #363 on: Aug 24, 2020, 07:07 AM »
Rainbows have been decent lately.  Catching a noticeable amount of small wild browns.

Chased some smallies this morning.  Nothing huge but caught a half dozen.  Have to love river smallies.  They put quite the bend in my 5w.

Beautiful rainbows and I particularly like that action shot of the tight line/bend - gives viewers that feeling.

lowaccord66

« Reply #364 on: Aug 24, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Beautiful rainbows and I particularly like that action shot of the tight line/bend - gives viewers that feeling.

I'm glad you like it.  One of my friends breaks my stones and says "ya ya you hooked a giant rock"...which in fairness I guess would look the same.  There's a few shots like it in the thread.  For me it's an open log of my river exploits.

lowaccord66

« Reply #365 on: Sep 03, 2020, 08:49 AM »
So some updates....fished the Ditch Pickle Classic with Westernmass over the weekend, er Saturday.  We were scoring nicely and doing pretty well despite off and on driving rain...then I hit a rock pile at 35mph....tournament over. 

We limped back the the launch and saw how bad the prop was....

We instantly decided to bail from VT to save Sunday.  (Avoid the air bnb in Sheldon VT that has an indoor basketball court) and drove 5 hours back...frustrated at my bad luck I took to the housatonic for more bass and was rewarded...

Flows suck right now.  I fished the night before last on the housy....300 cfs...better than the 100 cfs at the farmington.  Last night I searched there for trout and only found 2.  A small brown and a healthy rainbow.  New prop arrives today...will find out if the lower unit is toast or not...

bogtrotter

« Reply #366 on: Sep 03, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Sorry to hear about the damage to your prop.  Hopefully the price tag is not too steep.

I'm curious when you say the "flows suck" - - Do you mean they're too high or too low? 

I would assume you mean too high (given all the rain lately), but your Housatonic to Farmington comparison would suggest just the opposite.

lowaccord66

« Reply #367 on: Sep 03, 2020, 11:31 AM »
Too low.  I'm a bit odd in that I like a ton of water for trout fishing.  It keeps the dry fly crew at bay and allows me to do my thing.  Yesterday was 100 cfs...I'm really comfortable between 1000-1500 on most of the farmington...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #368 on: Sep 04, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Sorry to hear about the prop, Jon. Looks like you guys were on your way to victory but it still looks like you slayed it.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #369 on: Sep 04, 2020, 08:49 AM »
As of Saturday evening we were in 1st place for Bass....next year Pat and I will return and maybe we can win.  Tell you what, 8w and 10w warm water flyfishing is addictive.

I replaced the prop last night and confirmed no lower unit damage.  Jim the damage amount ended up being 600.  Plus another 90 or so for a skeg guard....

westernmas

« Reply #370 on: Sep 04, 2020, 09:32 AM »
As of Saturday evening we were in 1st place for Bass....next year Pat and I will return and maybe we can win.  Tell you what, 8w and 10w warm water flyfishing is addictive.

I replaced the prop last night and confirmed no lower unit damage.  Jim the damage amount ended up being 600.  Plus another 90 or so for a skeg guard....

Jon, glad to hear that it was the cheaper of the two scenarios.  They posted the results yesterday and we were positioned nicely going into Sunday.  We had 7 points while the winner of the individual award had 15 and the team best had 21.  Regardless, I learned a lot about fly fishing for warm water species and had a great time doing so, albeit the weather didn't want to cooperate.  I think if we go back next year, after this years shake down run, we will fair much better.  Also still kicking myself for losing those two bass, as we might have placed in the top 3 if I got those to the boat.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #371 on: Sep 05, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Pat we need to go back up in October.  Pick a weekend and let me know.  My best pike days were around the 4th.  We were getting tons of top water smashes on spinning gear that time of year. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #372 on: Sep 19, 2020, 03:31 PM »
This morning was good.

The other evening was good for bass.

bogtrotter

« Reply #373 on: Sep 19, 2020, 06:38 PM »
Congrats, Jon!

Looks like a couple great days/nights on the water.

lowaccord66

« Reply #374 on: Sep 19, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Congrats, Jon!

Looks like a couple great days/nights on the water.

Lots of browns this morning.  Was a good time despite the dismal flow...average would be about 380 cfs....we have 79...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.