FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Monitoring water levels at Grayrocks?  (Read 12559 times)

fish4lunch

Monitoring water levels at Grayrocks?
« on: Jul 05, 2010, 04:43 PM »
I want to watch the water levels at Grayrocks. Particularly, I need to know when they start draining it for irregation and such. Which Gov't agency/website would provide that kind of information?

Keith Walters

Re: Monitoring water levels at Grayrocks?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Grayrocks is not an irrigation reservoir.  The power plant gets the water in excess of normal stream flow.  I have yet to find a site that shows Grayrocks water level.  I would like to find a site like that, too.  You might search Basin Electric.

Keith

fish4lunch

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2010, 10:47 PM »
i GOT A SITE FROM bASIN eLEC, BUT NOT THAT HELPFUL. dOES PROVIDE CONTACT INFO BUT NOT SURE IF THEY COULD BE ALL THAT HELPFUL.
(dam cap lock!)
My problem is, I put a couple game cameras in the upper end back during turkey season, and now they're under 8 - 10 feet of water!!!
Would like to know when . . . or if they will drain it down.

Keith Walters

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Do you think you could find them by boat?  The water should be clearing up.  You could get a swim mask and retrieve them.  It would be kind of a challenge - I would be willing to bring my boat and take you on a search and retrieve mission.  Things look a lot different with 10 feet of additional water.  Let me know.

Keith

fish4lunch

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2010, 12:42 PM »
I've already tried that, thanks. I am very familiar with the terrain in that area. I've walked it during spring turkey, and fall deer for several years. I felt I could recognize tree lines or at least the river channel to get my bearings to pinpoint their location. Not going to work. I couldn't even get in what I felt was the general vacinity (50 foot diameter).
First of all, I have no idea the exact locations because of water depth. I also know how difficult it can be to get back in a boat on open water. You'd neeed scuba gear with lights to find them.
I will exhaust my search for level info before trying to dunk again. I'd have a much better chance even if it goes down 5 - 6 feet.
Thanks again . . .

Trogdor

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Hate to pile on, but grayrocks must have gone up another 8 inches since last week. At least the fishery will come around with all this water.

Keith Walters

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2010, 10:12 PM »
I just had a thought.  If Grayrocks is in the "flood pool", the Army Corp of Engineers will be controlling releases and might have elevation info.

Keith

fish4lunch

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2010, 08:20 AM »
I called the A.C.E.'s yesterday and they have no jurisdiction over Grayrocks. In fact, he referred to it as a "private lake" controlled by the Basin Elec people.
Still looking.
I'm amazed at those pic's of the Laramie below the dam on another post! 
Will try and fish it again middle of next week.

fish4lunch

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I finally heard from Scott Woolsey, Civil Engineer at Basin Electric power plant and basically said that the water level is "not information we release to the general public. If you have a business-related purpose for this type of information, please respond with your official credentials."

Kind of weird if you ask me.  So it looks like Grayrocks is a "private" impound and though they let us use it for all kinds of recreation, they keep all info close to their vest for some reason.

augergas

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2010, 01:24 PM »
I drove by the lake earlier today. I'd put the official water level at exactly 99.8372%. Or something close to that...

It is very  full, no high water mark visible and the draws south of the road near the dam have quite a bit of water standing in them.

jopes

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2010, 06:19 PM »
What is ice fishing on gray rocks like?

Trogdor

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2010, 10:32 PM »
The ice was really good at the end of december. it was a good 16 inches of clear ice. The only place where the ice was bad was near a big heave and where geese kept it open. We fished the dam and the cliffs to the north but couldn't find em. We scratched up a few crappies, a small walleye and a catfish. We switched over to glendo after that.

I think grayrocks would be a blast to figure out through the ice. It has a lot of potential.

mulebarnmax

• I'd rather be fishing!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2010, 06:28 AM »
The ice last winter was good. I have seen in the past several winters very questionable ice. One winter I ventured out and found several underwater springs where the ice was only an inch thick while the rest of the ice was 6-8" :-\. Just one of those lakes where you need to be extra cautious.
Honestly honey, I'll be home as soon as I get my limit ;-)

jopes

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Only reason I asked was when I was there I had seen a lot of gas bubbles coming up from the bottom,  I had fished a few lakes that had them in new york and they had open water around those areas or the ice would be scarry thin.

Trogdor

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2010, 02:50 PM »
I think the ice was good due to a nice and cold winter. That December cold snap really did a wonderful job at building a good layer of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.