FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: salmon?  (Read 4641 times)

Scotty D

salmon?
« on: Sep 11, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Hey guys,  I know the salmon at wachusett and quabbin  run up the rivers in the fall. does anybody know when they start going up?
fishing soothes the soul

taxid

Re: salmon?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Hey guys,  I know the salmon at wachusett and quabbin  run up the rivers in the fall. does anybody know when they start going up?

When the season closes?  ;D

Sorry as a former Mass resident I couldn't resist.  :-[

I wonder if a call to one of your district biologists could give you the info you need?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

RippinLips

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Hey guys,  I know the salmon at wachusett and quabbin  run up the rivers in the fall. does anybody know when they start going up?

I fish the Wachusett Rez and its tributaries a lot in the fall. They start running up the stream in late September through October but the most important factor is rain. The best time is after the first good rainfall at least a couple of inches where the river should rise and draw them in. Good luck!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:57 PM »
No worries about me fishing there as I live 900 miles away but what's the biggest you've caught running up the tiribs rippinlips? Do they get lockjack like king salmon?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

deerhunter

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:14 AM »
they shouln't alow the salmon to be caught when they are spawing but. at least catch and release. late sept and into oct is good. the low water level may keep alot of fish from going into the rivers.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:00 PM »
they shouln't alow the salmon to be caught when they are spawing but. at least catch and release. late sept and into oct is good. the low water level may keep alot of fish from going into the rivers.

So there is significant reproduction to sustain a fishery?

Scotty D

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2010, 09:43 AM »
thanks for the info guys. i have only caught salmon from a boat, and a couple off the shore. So this year i would love to try and get one in the rivers. Thanks again!
fishing soothes the soul

djb

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2010, 07:23 AM »
So there is significant reproduction to sustain a fishery?
Yes, there is enough reproduction to sustain the population. In fact, the population in Wachusett Res. was started by salmon that made it through the Quabbin Aquaduct, like the lakers in there. My experience with the timing of the runs has been later October-early November for the Quabbin runs. I don't have any first-hand experience with the Wachusett run timing. One thing that's for certain is it takes a decent rain and stream flow to bring them out. I don't think that fishing hurts the population, my experience with the Quabbin runs goes back to 1980. The fish are still there and there is supplemental stocking of landlocks in both reservoirs. Good fishing.

lavaman

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2010, 04:31 AM »
next question is what to u use to catch them? we were just at the quabbin and the water levels have to come up quite a bit for the salmon to reach the streams this year. i hope the levels can come back up for u.

Scotty D

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:45 AM »
im planning on useing small spinners, and maybe drifting worms????? im not much of a flyfisherman..
fishing soothes the soul

Scotty D

« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2010, 12:38 PM »
do you guys think this rain storm will help them move in?
fishing soothes the soul

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I was thinkin the same thing, might get out that way on sat. morning.

RippinLips

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Looks like enough rain that will draw them in. Depends on water temp also with the tropical weather we've been experiencing. There's only one way to find out and that is to fish it.

Shimpdogg

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Is it the quinipoxet river that they run from Wachusett? Where is there available acess points?

lavaman

« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I was thinkin the same thing, might get out that way on sat. morning.

hey bud. i think the stocking trucks are out. they just stocked the pond by me. might be time for another try at the Q or Quinsig. i figured out how to work the gps maps. very cool. wait til we get out there again those fish do not have a chance. i also got some more info from a very generous mff member about some hot spots out on the Q.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.