FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Really KRUNCHY fish batter recipe!  (Read 1185 times)

fishryc

Really KRUNCHY fish batter recipe!
« on: May 16, 2005, 04:40 PM »

Het moderators!  Please let this recipe post ride a day or two before you remove it to the "Clean 'em and Eat ' em " board A (It's allready there, BTW) in order that our local friends that don't go there can see it... Thank you

I do a lot of the cooking at my home (wouldn’t think of letting my wife near the stove!) and despite countless ingredient combinations / variations and attempts, I’ve always been unable to make a really crunchy batter like you get at the local fish fry place; UNTIL NOW!!! This is the ticket- I use it on all boneless / skinless panfish fillets, especially perch. I make it without any seasonings because I like my fried fish battered , fried plain, and salted down, then served with a splash of malt vinegar; but you can add whatever you like to the batter; a friend adds Old Bay brand seafood seasoning and it’s pretty tasty too.
Anyway- here goes the work of much trial and error:
Heat deep frying oil to 375.  Use an egg wisk or electric beater to blend together the following: 1/3 cup corn starch, 2/3 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, two teaspoons salt. Add milk (quickly, to avoid lumps) and beat until a relatively thin batter is formed. Add two tablespoons of the heated oil and quickly beat into the batter. Roll fillets in flour and set aside for two minutes before dipping in batter. Dip, drain off excess batter, then deep fry until golden brown.
Enjoy!
fishryc

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Really KRUNCHY fish batter recipe!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 05:20 PM »
the whole key is the rolling the fillets in the flour before battering them...makes a big difference.

IceBalls

• I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43 PM »
BigRed:   are you sure you mean 2 TABLESPOONS of Salt?????   Or did you mean two TEASPOONS????   It seems to me that two Tablespoons of Salt in that little amount of batter would make the thing awfully salty???

Just want to be sure before I try it!!!!   Thanks

IceBalls

fishryc

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 06:01 AM »
BigRed:   are you sure you mean 2 TABLESPOONS of Salt?????   Or did you mean two TEASPOONS????   It seems to me that two Tablespoons of Salt in that little amount of batter would make the thing awfully salty???

Just want to be sure before I try it!!!!   Thanks

IceBalls

Sorry 'bout that IceBalls-  Teaspoons
fishryc
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.