FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jigging for lakers  (Read 8398 times)

dickbaker

Re: jigging for lakers
« Reply #30 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11:10 AM »
 ???  Always concerned about the mortality rate of late summer lakers released after being dragged from 100 feet of cold water into 70 degree surface water.  Anyone have any biological information??   Lake Superior studies indicate 15% mortality but it might be different for Winni?
Dick

stripernut

« Reply #31 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11:15 AM »
I don't have anything "official" but judging by the number of times I have had Lakers follow a lure all the way back to the boat, even with warm water, I don't think it is a big concern.

zwiggles

« Reply #32 on: Aug 25, 2017, 01:15 PM »
I think jigging for them gives them a much better chance then if they were caught trolling. I usually see them head back down on the finder when I'm jigging for them. Doesn't matter when you catch a fish if you poke a hole in it, and stress it out, it may die.

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Aug 25, 2017, 02:26 PM »
I think jigging for them gives them a much better chance then if they were caught trolling. I usually see them head back down on the finder when I'm jigging for them. Doesn't matter when you catch a fish if you poke a hole in it, and stress it out, it may die.

X2.  Pulling one going 2mph in warm water most always kills them and sends them directly to my smoker. 

dickbaker

« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2017, 04:14 PM »
 ??? 
Always thought of lakers as super boney fish?  Anyone good at removing bones before I fry them in my Butter Flavored Crisco??
Dick

fishsluggos

« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:22 PM »
??? 
Always thought of lakers as super boney fish?  Anyone good at removing bones before I fry them in my Butter Flavored Crisco??
Dick

Personally never been a fan of lakers on my plate. Maybe I didn't bleed then quick enough and toss them on ice quick enough or prepare them properly.

But then maybe they're called mudhens for a reason.  ;D

stripernut

« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09:43 PM »
In my experience, eating Lakers is very hit or miss, one is great, the next, not so much. Now, if I keep one, it is given away...

dickbaker

« Reply #37 on: Aug 26, 2017, 07:31 AM »
 ::)  Still haven't gotten myself to eat a Lake Champlain Lake Trout.   The flesh is a bright yellow color.     Found a you tube video showing how to fillet them and it looks as complicated as doing pike?
Dick

MGK

« Reply #38 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08:44 AM »
::)  Still haven't gotten myself to eat a Lake Champlain Lake Trout.   The flesh is a bright yellow color.     Found a you tube video showing how to fillet them and it looks as complicated as doing pike?
Dick

They are the same as filleting a trout or salmon. No need to look for a Y bone.

In my experience lakers that that been caught in a mainly smelt fed lake are okay. Lakers from an alewife fed lake are not very good.
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Hottuna5150

« Reply #39 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08:57 AM »
They are the same as filleting a trout or salmon. No need to look for a Y bone.

In my experience lakers that that been caught in a mainly smelt fed lake are okay. Lakers from an alewife fed lake are not very good.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I've also found that fish closer to the legal length limit (smaller lakers) tend to taste much better than their larger counterparts imho.

Hottuna5150

« Reply #40 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08:59 AM »
That said, if a larger laker bellies up on me I'm not afraid to make poor mans lobster out of em, but I prefer to let the bigger guys go if I can.

dickbaker

« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Going back to lake trout filleting video?   They show "pin bones"  just above the lateral line and , on a big trout or salmon, they look pretty big?
Seems that that you have to pull them out with needle nose pliers or special bone removing too that chefs use.
I don't like picking bones while I eat fish!!
Dick

Hottuna5150

« Reply #42 on: Aug 26, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Dick,
If you're not too concerned about having a single piece you can usually follow "pin bones" with your filet knife on either side and either end up with a v shaped single filet or two smaller pieces from each side of the fish. To hell with pickin each one of em out individually.
Cheers,
Keith

dickbaker

« Reply #43 on: Aug 26, 2017, 05:02 PM »
 ;D Keith,  I've decided to return to my favorite coastal fish?   Swordfish fillets?
Dick

Hottuna5150

« Reply #44 on: Aug 26, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.