FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Governor Sununu Defeats any hope of Lake Sunapee access!!  (Read 2925 times)

dickbaker

??   At the last Governor's council meeting, Sununu told them not to hear the final approval discussion related to the final approval of the wonderful Wild Goose Access area at Lake Sunapee!  This has created a giant public outcry.  But his Ben Vihstadt, his head chopper at Concord , maintains that his Boss is determined to come forward with a feasible location and access proposal?   I don't think this will ever happen and I'm amazed that our Governor didn't simply offer it as a Tweet?
Anyone keeping up to date on this terrible confrontation between lake recreation users and those with big money and political power?   I had hoped that this sort of thing could only take place in Washington??
Dick

zwiggles

Re: Governor Sununu Defeats any hope of Lake Sunapee access!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Any additional details you could provide?

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2017, 04:35 PM »

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Sununu has started a new commission to look at access for sunapee. Hopefully it comes to good result for us fisherpeople. I would say a good result for “all”, but I don’t think you can make everyone happy in this case.

In short people do think Lakes up there are their own “private” lakes. I haven’t ever gone to sunapee, but pleasant is just down the road, and I have had some very unpleasant experiences trying to get on, and while fishing that lake from the people who think they “own” the lake. My friends who live up there agree with what F&G is saying about a few individuals who Have deep pockets, and nothing but time to in their hands. Money talks, but I have hope access can get figured out, and in short order if a new approach is taken.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:43 AM »
The wheels of Government "progress" are as slow as an old lady in the fast checkout line at the supermarket.

You can hope for the best, but what you end up getting is what's best for the ones who PAY the politicians to lean their way!

If the Governor can't make an unbiased HONEST decision he should be called out publicly and made to answer.

Although I don't live anywhere near there, the problem is universal nation wide...people with money think they have more rights than anyone else, and figure that throwing their financial (if not their body) weight around will get them what they want.

OH, and of course these same a$$clowns will be the ones that don't want to pay increased property taxes because of the results.
If they will do nothing about granting public access, begin a petition to have ALL lakefront property assessed a "scenic view" tax.

Hope the Governor does the right thing, and SOON.
(just don't hold your breath waiting...)
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

dickbaker

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Trying to find out the membership of the Governor's Sunapee access committe.  I have my doubts that it will be an unbiased group and that they will comply with the March deadline?   
Dick

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:41 PM »
begin a petition to have ALL lakefront property assessed a "scenic view" tax.

I don't condone the governor's decision or lakefront property owners association in any way!
But, be advised that LFPO's along with many others have been paying scenic view taxes in NH for years.
I do applaud NHF&G for making the strong statement/stance that they did.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Disgusting to read but its the way it works.  I surfcast a lot and deal with access bs more than I care to admit even on shoreline held in the public trust.  This is a shame to read but it is the media so I take things with a grain of salt...

dickbaker

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:42 PM »
the media seems to condemn the Sununu action :P
Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2017, 05:33 AM »
To me Dick, It sucks to say but they can have their lake. Lack of launches hurts the local economy more than they understand.

I thought about really digging into this one but its quite the battle. Unfortunately, seems to be more of a game of whose wallet is the deepest.

Cuomo in NY and Lake George's Association pull some of the same bs but to a lesser extent.  Even having launches, Ive found them inexplicably closed...and its quite the effort to launch there...inspection, wash, lake sticker needed....

dickbaker

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2017, 06:53 AM »
I just used up all of black printer ink to print out the entire NHF&G study for the proposed Wild Goose Access.  I will take the time to read it carefully but I don't see any item that they could have missed and it was all approved by DES , DOT ,and approved by two State Court hearings!   
I understand that next month Hawkeye Outdoor Magazine will have letters to the editor as well a big add asking people to contact the appropriate Legislators !
Dick

dickbaker

« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2017, 07:02 AM »
First meeting of the new Sunapee access comm.  is supposed to be today 10/26 at 4:00PM.  Sununu has asked them to provide report and recommendations in March of 2018.  Glen Normandeau told me that he isn't optimistic about the board members or the end result but he will keep me up to date.
Dick

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:59 AM »
I know I'll catch hell for this but there is another side to this. I have customers that have pontoons at their docks, that repeatedly have the upholstery torn due to bass anglers in tournaments casting around their pontoons boats and accidentally snagging the seats etc. That's not cheap to fix and if you have to do it more than once being upset is understandable. I also know of lake associations that spend thousands of dollars spraying nuisance exotic weeds like Eurasian Milfoil that can pretty much take over a lake brought in by careless boaters.

And then there are those that leave beer cans, spent cigarettes, and other trash that make the rest of us anglers look bad.

Oh and there the anglers that whip it out and pee over the side of their boat in full view of the lake residents.

And yes I've been on the other end as an angler being treated poorly by lake residents.

I once saw a boy and girl make the mistake of crossing a lake resident's property to get to a fishing site. He came out and called them everything but a whiteman and acted like he wanted to do them bodily harm. The meanness and selfishness was unbelievable.

I would have taken them into my boat to fish but my boat at the time wasn't much more than kayak as it was a Sea Snark sail boat without the sail. Used it like a canoe.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

dickbaker

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2017, 10:55 AM »
???   Quiet!  Shhhhh!  No one has brought up the problems resulting from major bass tournaments??   
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.