FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Strange and Unusual Phenomenon  (Read 1142 times)

bogtrotter

Strange and Unusual Phenomenon
« on: Dec 03, 2017, 03:59 PM »
I fished the South Hoosic for a couple hours or so today, and saw something strange and unusual.

Mostly cloudy, 45 degrees, water levels just about perfect.

I started by the Cheshire Harbor dam. There is a stilling basin below it, and foam tends to form in a backwater on the right hand side (as your facing upstream) of the dam.

Today, there was a perfectly circular "cake" of foam swirling around below the dam. It was about 10" high and 3 feet in diameter, capped by a "crown" (about 5" high and 8" in circumference) in the middle surrounding a small concave bowl in the center.

While I was standing on a rock trying to puzzle out the physics of how this strange conglomeration formed, I had a sudden strike, which proved to be a feisty 13" rainbow, which managed to slip the hook just when I had reeled him in to within 3 feet of my rod tip.

I blame my losing the trout on my reluctance to step down into the water and get my tootsies cold, and thereby lessen the angle required to land him.

Fortunately for me, a kind and forgiving deity gave me the chance to redeem myself.

After leaving the Harbor, I drove north to Mullen Mayflower and fished downstream from there to ALADCO.

On the way, I was fortunate enough to hook and land an 11" rainbow by the footbridge downstream from the Burnett Bednarz Bridge.

Other than those two fish, I did not have any other action. But, at this time of the year, I count myself lucky to have any action at all on the "main" streams around me (as opposed to the little ones where I can usually count on landing a brookie or two even in the depth of winter).

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Strange and Unusual Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Can't see it if your not out there.
Sounds like a great time...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lowaccord66

Re: Strange and Unusual Phenomenon
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Thats odd Doug.  Good weather to be out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.