FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First time on the ice this year and first trout through the ice  (Read 1448 times)

timeflies

Went out on a local pond yesterday with a friend of mine and between the two of us we managed a few perch and a rainbow each, never caught trout through the ice before so that was a nice bonus on the first trip of the year, there was a decent 3.5-4” where we were with it thinning out a bit in the deeper water

https://youtu.be/kAZL72QVHuw

s fontinalis

Nice!

timeflies

Thanks!

james1981

The trick to trout fishing through  the ice is very close to shore, right when you think you are too close take another step closer... Salmon eggs down each hole and just wait til they come around.  Also jig  the holes Ive caught more on jigging rods than tipups.  Worms or night crawlers on spoons or jigs, kills them. Catch tons in the winter dozens more than regular fishing season.  I prefer sandy bottoms or near outlets, but really any trout pond they will be cruising. Caught them in 20FOW but mostly in the 3 inch to 2 ft depth.

Acme rainbow trout, 2 hook red devil, anything shiny. Open water trout spoons, spinners, caught them on just about anything I put down the hole. TONS of fun... 

timeflies

Wow thanks for the tips!! Usually jig the holes but with the ice being on the thinner side of safe we figured it was best to spend as little time out there as possible, will defenitely be giving it a go as soon as we have a few more building days, thanks!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Nice...
Are you a member on iceshanty.com  ?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

timeflies

I am, i’m timeflies over there too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.