FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Haddock regs?  (Read 2079 times)

Bass to mouth

Haddock regs?
« on: Mar 07, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Last year on May 1st the creel for haddock went up. What is the creel now and will it change this May? I like getting out mid April but for 3 haddock just isnt worth it.

Dana

Re: Haddock regs?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2018, 12:56 PM »
It's rumored that the bag limit for haddock will go up and cod will still be closed. The regs come out around May 1st.
Don't hold me to it...like I said rumor!
Glenn, get the net!

s fontinalis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2018, 02:29 PM »
the bag limit is 12 fish... reopens april 15. If things change it won't be until May.

https://www.greateratlantic.fisheries.noaa.gov/regs/infodocs/multscharterparty.pdf

Bass to mouth

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2018, 04:04 PM »
the bag limit is 12 fish... reopens april 15. If things change it won't be until May.

https://www.greateratlantic.fisheries.noaa.gov/regs/infodocs/multscharterparty.pdf
Ty. I go on a party charter so 12 would be perfect.

rdhammah

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Ty. I go on a party charter so 12 would be perfect.
which one do you go on?

Bass to mouth

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2018, 06:51 PM »
I got a great Groupon deal for Al gauron. All day trip for 2 people rods included for $74 after a promo code. Before the promo its $99 which is still good. Only catch is you can only use it monday-friday. When they start to slow down they will honor the groupon on weekends. Not the sexiest boat but they are one of the better crews IMO.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2018, 01:16 AM »
The Al gauron is a great boat for the money. my cousin used to go out on it all the time and caught a 50lb cod on it a few years ago before all this cod bs.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:43 PM »
The Al gauron is a great boat for the money. my cousin used to go out on it all the time and caught a 50lb cod on it a few years ago before all this cod bs.

When you could fish the Isle of Shoals area in May and June  every boat caught 50 pound cod.
 My biggest was 45 pounds but I saw fish up to  62 pounders caught.
Thank god they put a moratorium in that area so they could breed undisturbed.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:55 PM »
When you could fish the Isle of Shoals area in May and June  every boat caught 50 pound cod.
 My biggest was 45 pounds but I saw fish up to  62 pounders caught.
Thank god they put a moratorium in that area so they could breed undisturbed.
My cousin said it was some area called the dump i think.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:01 PM »
My cousin said it was some area called the dump i think.

Ya
That is south of the Isle of Shoals.
 Now closed for Cod both in Federal and NH state waters. You can keep one cod in Ma waters 19" or greater.
The Gulf of Maine Cod Spawning Protection Area (CSPA) is located in both state and federal waters south of the Isle of Shoals and is closed to all fishing, as well as take and possession of groundfish, in April, May and June, 
You can fish for haddock after June but they recommend circle hooks to prevent fish mortality.

porkpiehat

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2018, 05:25 PM »
I’m confused...you can keep one cod in MA or it is closed? I know it is open south of the cape.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:27 PM »
I’m confused...you can keep one cod in MA or it is closed? I know it is open south of the cape.

Effective today after the end of April cod will be closed in Ma.

April 4, 2018 MarineFisheries Advisory

Regulation Changes Affecting Recreational Groundfish:  Gulf of Maine Cod Prohibition and Status Quo Haddock Rules  Pending Georges Bank  Cod Measures

The Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) is announcing the recreational fishing limits for Gulf of Maine (GOM) cod and haddock and pending rule changes for the Georges Bank cod caught in southern New England and Georges Bank. Rule changes will be implemented by emergency regulation on May 1, 2018 for a period of 90-days. A public hearing will be held this summer to implement these regulations beyond the 90-day emergency period.

The GOM cod and haddock rules apply within all state-waters north of 42° 00’, as well as all state-waters of Cape Cod Bay and the Cape Cod Canal. The Georges Bank cod  rules apply to all state-waters east of Cape Cod south of 42° 00’ and waters south and west of  Cape Cod   and the Islands. You may review NOAA Fisheries recreational fishing information sheet to see where these management area boundaries exist in federal waters. 

GOM Cod The prohibition on the retention and landing of GOM cod by all anglers in federal waters and by anglers on board for-hire vessels in state waters will remain in effect. Effective May 1, 2018, DMF will also be prohibiting the retention and landing of GOM cod by private recreational anglers. Accordingly, it will be unlawful for any recreational angler to retain or land GOM cod while in state or federal waters. 

GOM Haddock Rules governing the harvest of GOM haddock by recreational anglers will remain unchanged. These limits are described in the table below:

Georges Bank  Cod DMF anticipates emergency regulations will also be filed to increase the recreational minimum size from 22” to 24”for Georges Bank cod stock in southern New England. This will complement
2018 Haddock Rules Private Angler
Aboard For-hire Vessel Minimum Size 17” Bag Limit 12 fish
Open Season Year-round
Jan. 1 – Feb. 28 Apr. 15 – Sep. 16 Nov. 1 – Dec. 31

David E. Pierce, PhD. Director

Charles D. Baker Governor Karyn E. Polito Lieutenant Governor Matthew A. Beaton Secretary Ronald S. Amidon Commissioner Mary-Lee King Deputy Commissioner

federal rules currently under consideration by NOAA fisheries. Pending a final decision by NOAA fisheries, a subsequent notification will be made to update anglers on final rule changes. 

For more information regarding the management of groundfish, please visit our website at www.mass.gov/marinefisheries or call us at 617-626-1620. If you wish to obtain a copy of these regulations, please contact Jared Silva directly ([email protected] or 617-626-1534).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.