FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing redds  (Read 1524 times)

slamber

Fishing redds
« on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I'm curious what folks think about fishing for spawning fish on their Redds. In the catch and release trout world there are a lot of folks that think it's as bad as poaching (Raping the Redds). I’m a fisherman that fly-fishes (not a fly-fisherman), and have no issues with using whatever legal method catches fish, including bait (gasp!).

If fishing the Redds is so detrimental why is it legal? Does it really have any impact on the spawn? Searching around on-line, the only people that say it actually hurts the spawn are fisherman and guides. I couldn’t find any biologists that say it has an impact on the overall population.

appleye

Re: Fishing redds
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2018, 01:48 AM »
I sure don't have a problem as long as it's legal. My buddy's from back east are blown away that we can fish for walleye during the spawn. I think if it was a real threat G&F would not allow use to fish for em like the Kokanee in the Gorge were the spawning creeks are off limits for 3 months.

Sure with I could fish for some spawning walleye, Keyhole still covered with ice.

reelrusty

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2018, 09:46 AM »
 :-\ Hmmm..... Many "fishing" shows feature catch and release of spawning fish off of beds(bass, bluegills etc.). I know there have been many telemetry studies that demonstrate how quickly these fish return to or re-establish a spawn site. I can't recall the exact results but I believe the studies show there is not significant disruption to the spawn. I believe that a quick catch and release of spawning females can be done ethically and there are usually enough tending males to warrant a limited take of a few. I DO believe that wading through or boating over redds and beds does cause a significant disruption to the spawn and should be avoided and maybe even restricted. That being said I will soon be doing my best to take a few tending males and catch and release a double digit female walleye at Mcconaughey! :thumbup_smilie:

Shoe

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Most of the criticism of fishing redds seems to come from catch and release trout fly fisherman.  Most of my fishing is with fly gear and for trout (wish we had better populations of warm water species).  I have no problem with fishing redds, if legal.  I personally don't find fishing redds very "sporty" and would prefer to fish for non-spawning trout.  I think that some a catch-and-release trout mentality take it too religiously, and consider it sacrilege to fish the redds.  I think that they take both catch-and-release and fishing the redds too seriously.  I see their posts, and their pushing of these simplistic messages.  Recently, someone posted that they were upset when I posted a photo of some trout kept legally from a LAKE that were gravid with eggs.  There is no natural reproduction in this and most lakes in our area.  There are things that are categorically wrong ethically, but these are not.

s

slamber

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Thanks for the input guys; Good points.

Anyone feel differently?

I'd like to hear from the G&F on this also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.