FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie fishing picking up yet on the Sally an Missi areas?  (Read 4295 times)

taxid

Seems to warmer temps should kick start things soon.

I'm waiting for a fellow taxidermist to give me the call to come down. Haven't her anything from him yet.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jbmfish1

Re: Crappie fishing picking up yet on the Sally an Missi areas?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:17 PM »
It's on in the rivers. Fished the missy river above the lake this week and it's fast and furious. A lot of white bass also. Crappie seem to be in very specific spots. But once you find the spot it was every cast until you got tired. I didn't keep any just fun fished for them. Fact is I'm to lazy to clean a bunch of fish anymore unless I have a good reason and some help. The white bass were everywhere. But once I found the crappie hole I caught very few whiteys. The crappies were a nice average size 10 to 11 1/2. No giants but no dinks either. Before I found the honey hole I caught some 14" white bass which has a very high fun factor especially in the current! I seen a lot of boats heading toward Sally today so my guess is it's warming up there. 1/16  white roadrunner with a black and chartruse Mr. Crappie slabilicious tail was the ticket. Go get them!!

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Yes sir Tax, picked up, but they haven't put on the feed bags heavy yet, the fishing is improved, and if mother nature doesn't flood us out again this year, the bite will be awesome. There has been some recent stability in the two river systems. I know the heats been slow to arrive this season, but we have a real chance of hitting it big this year. We are on the cusp of a fish awakening My fellow fish people! ;D

Big Buck

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I cant find any thing  steady-one day limits next  day not so much...oh well got to love it!!!

bigr

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:28 AM »
Indiana slabmasters will be fishing both resi's this weekend. Saturday on sally Sunday on Missy. They'll be some big fish caught in that tourney. Crappie usa returns on the resi's in two weeks which should produce some hogs also.

RobertFitz

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:06 AM »
I've been doing good at Sally in the river. Fished with a john boat though because they seem to have been mostly on the west side of the river. Posted in the other Sally thread but we fished in between Etna and Lancaster. I'm south 40 minutes from muncie so going to check out summit lake this weekend to see how the weeds have done with this better weather.

indianahooker

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:38 AM »
hogs?  if i remember rite last year was won with 4#.  unless they are only weighing in 2 fish thats kinda sad.  they have to be there but you dont hear of many "hogs" from down there.

mite have to go check out that weigh-in there.  i have never been to a national crappie or bass tourney.

bigr

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Hogs come when conditions are right and as of yesterday conditions were right. After this storm system goes thru we will have to see. Sally fish have grown up and it's not that hard to get 14+ inch fish right now. We saw a lot of big fish thru the ice as well as the large numbers of smaller fish. Even the smaller fish are now for the most part harvestable. Missy always has a good avg size fish and hogs mixed in. Again we have seen some real nice fish caught from there this spring. This years weigh ins could show some surprising fish. Without any big condition change and peak of the spawn I expect winners to be 11+lbs in both tourneys. That's for seven fish.

Big Buck

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Plenty of big crappie in missy i cant speak on sally but i dont think it is peak spawn from what i see water temps are still pretty low and she isnt going to clear up any time soon but the weekend weather doesnt  look bad

bigr

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 08:41 AM »
From my experience the really big girls always spawn well before the majority on resi's. Water clarity on resi's is not near as big of deal as on natural bodies of water. Clarity is very good right now where the fish are spawning. Remember 12 to 48 in's is were you'll find them.

indianahooker

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:04 AM »
i must be mistaken then about the weight last year.  11# is far from 4#. lol  i also thought it was a 5 fish bag so i could be way off my memory.  a sack of pound and a half fish seems reasonable.  i will have to look at their web site and see if they give past results on there.  that would be interesting to compare from year to year.

lovetfish

bherr24

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I fished missy river up near 688 sunday. Must have just hit it right as we caught crappie nearly every cast for 4 hours straight. Went back tuesday and couldnt buy a single bite lol. Moved up river a bit and caught a few crappie but a lot of white bass.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Conditions change quickly on the flood control resi's. 4lbs can be right just as often as 11lbs. If it were held yesturday 11 would have been very possible, tomorrow who knows. I hope the small amount of rain and the dry conditions we've had hasn't change things. At this point my guess is we still will have very good conditions.

tater140

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04 PM »
7 fish weigh in I think.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.