FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Winni - Ice related  (Read 4591 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Lake Winni - Ice related
« on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Hey all,

For those of you that Ice fish Lake Winni in NH, has there been a resent year where the lake has not frozen over? To get to the point, I am interested in renting a house on the lake around the time of the derby (Early February) and just wondering if pulling the trigger on a house now is a bad idea. I mean, I know its never a guarantee but I am in the middle stages of rigging up my atv for the ice and looking forward to bringing the little guy along as well. The house price is prime right now. I know there is no such thing as "safe ice" but I am assuming Winni freezes up year after year and is pretty much passable all around.

Any advice or info?
Wicked Wec

Roccus

Re: Lake Winni - Ice related
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:30 AM »
a couple years ago they moved the derby date due to unsafe ice conditions... in fact a few lives were lost from snow machines going through... some of the bays and coves always freeze... the broads are never a given..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2018, 09:00 AM »
a couple years ago they moved the derby date due to unsafe ice conditions... in fact a few lives were lost from snow machines going through... some of the bays and coves always freeze... the broads are never a given..

Thanks for the info Roccus. Where I am planning on staying is only about 5 minutes east of where I was last time. To see full sized trucks out on the ice was life changing to me. We do not have that around my parts. As long as the ice is good it will be nice to have the ATV for my old man to get around. That is off course, if there is not too much snow.

If you are looking for any company for the tourney, let me know. I know last years tourney was a bit rough for you but if we set a game plan I am all in and dedicated. Hopefully I will see you up there this year.

If it were you Roccus, would yo say yay or nay for the house rental?
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2018, 09:06 AM »
No it does not freeze every year. Especially safely. Last year was the exception for the last several years, and not the norm.

I would say it is safe to assume you will be able to find some ice to fish, but I wouldn’t bank on the whole lake being iced over.

From the Ellacoya area to Welch island/the broads is almost always the last to freeze, and sometimes doesn’t at all. That being said I wouldn’t hesitate to book a place. You’ll be able to find somewhere to fish.

Roccus

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for the info Roccus. Where I am planning on staying is only about 5 minutes east of where I was last time. To see full sized trucks out on the ice was life changing to me. We do not have that around my parts. As long as the ice is good it will be nice to have the ATV for my old man to get around. That is off course, if there is not too much snow.

If you are looking for any company for the tourney, let me know. I know last years tourney was a bit rough for you but if we set a game plan I am all in and dedicated. Hopefully I will see you up there this year.

.. Lots of water/ice  to fish on close to where you want to stay.. I already have my room booked... snow more than ice is usually the prohibitive factor.. there's always safe ice somewhere even if the big lake is "iffy"...some years you need creepers.. some years you need snow shoes.. some years you need both on the same weekend!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2018, 11:44 AM »
zwiggles/Roccus,

I am going to reserve that house tonight and fly with it. My thoughts were the same that if the big lake is unfishable, plenty of water else where in the general vicinity. My old man loved it so much up there that we have to give it a go and with 7 days worth of time to fish, I am sure we will cover a lot of water. I will keep in touch with you Joe. Would be nice to fish together again.

I am in the market for a flip over now suitable for 3 of us, at the very least 2.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2018, 11:49 AM »

LOL...rough...OH yea... I just made a bad choice of who I brought with me...as they say.. that's going to leave a mark!

Roccus

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2018, 11:53 AM »
zwiggles/Roccus,

I am going to reserve that house tonight and fly with it. My thoughts were the same that if the big lake is unfishable, plenty of water else where in the general vicinity. My old man loved it so much up there that we have to give it a go and with 7 days worth of time to fish, I am sure we will cover a lot of water. I will keep in touch with you Joe. Would be nice to fish together again.

I am in the market for a flip over now suitable for 3 of us, at the very least 2.
pretty good chance I will be on my "home" waters...we had a lot  of fun that rip... we defiantly need to do it again... fishing with you took the sting out of that  awful derby partner.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2018, 02:31 PM »
LOL...rough...OH yea... I just made a bad choice of who I brought with me...as they say.. that's going to leave a mark!

Yeah I did not want to comment about how ROUGH it really was for you just in case they were a member on here. After hearing your story I am surprised you let me tag along. LOL
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2018, 02:42 PM »
pretty good chance I will be on my "home" waters...we had a lot  of fun that rip... we defiantly need to do it again... fishing with you took the sting out of that  awful derby partner.

OK well keep me posted Joe. If you stick to the home waters I know where to find you. Yeah I definitely had a blast fishing with you as well. You definitely know your "stuff" and we were able to get into the fish after drilling 2 holes. I did forewarn you that I jig like a mad man but it did pay off! I am glad there are people like you in this world. Took a complete stranger out fishing and now because of you I am addicted to that place. Not too mention thanks for the lift both ways as well. And lets not forget your wife's cranberry walnut bread Mmmmmm mmmm mmmmm!

I have made it a mission to help a youngster out my self as you did. Hard to explain how something simple like that can be life changing when the passion is real.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Yeah I did not want to comment about how ROUGH it really was for you just in case they were a member on here. After hearing your story I am surprised you let me tag along. LOL
nah.. he believes that fishing web sights are dead and that the world revolves around fake book.. which was 1/2 of his problem during the derby... anyhow... you have to have faith... I've helped/taken a lot of people fishing in the last 45 years... I can truly say I've only had 2 negative experiences. I'll be in touch!

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Joe and Mike I want in.  :tipup:  I've been wanting to fish with you Joe since I met Jimmy and Mike its only a matter of time.  If not the derby then maybe we get together on that rainbow spot you mentioned Joe.  Ive met a ton of people from finder and shanty...the record is still going strong...no issues.

Mr.Harry

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Location, location, location.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Joe and Mike I want in.  :tipup:  I've been wanting to fish with you Joe since I met Jimmy and Mike its only a matter of time.  If not the derby then maybe we get together on that rainbow spot you mentioned Joe.  Ive met a ton of people from finder and shanty...the record is still going strong...no issues.

If you want to fish the derby and need a place to stay, you are more than welcome to crash at the rental home. We can talk about that more on the side. As of now it seems like its my old man and I, and possibly a buddy or 2 as well that want to tag along for the derby ( i will be up there fishing for 3 extra days afterwords with just my old man). This also helps me since a few extra $$ in my pocket allows me to pay the kennel that will be watching my 3 pointers while I am up north. I bring plenty of venison, pheasant, sausage, kielbasa and anything else i want to pull out of my freezer to feed an army for 2 weeks so no worry's there.

Joe - Since I possibly have 2 buddies that want to tag along I am not sure if you want us to join you on your home waters (i would still love to). Last thing i want to do is make you feel uncomfortable in your location with people you do not know. However, I can tell you that you have my word that your home waters would remain your home waters and would never be fished unless you approved, I am not about spot burning what so ever and know how much time is spent finding productive waters....actually the appropriate wording is CONSISTENT productive waters. The 2 guys I fish with know "the deal" and that's why I keep them around and only them. Again, your call and we can talk as the time gets closer.

What I do know is I plan on catching around 100 cusk in the few days I will be up there. That is my personal challenge.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2018, 06:42 AM »
FYI.. rental is official. I will be up there February 8th and leaving wednesday Feb 13th. Time to buy a laker rod.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.