FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Life time PB  (Read 2473 times)

Knot there yet

Life time PB
« on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Got to go out on last day of Tuna season to stellwagan bank yesterday. It was a combined tuna shark trip.
  12hours 5-5 was the plan. So 1hour steam to get there and one to get back left 10 hrs to fish.Lots of hook up on radio so hopes were high. 4 hours go bye when I spot pink ballon moving. Thinking it’s dogfish nobody got excited. Captain start reeling and says this heavy. Then we see a fin and think oh no bluedog. So I look and say that it’s a white shark but it was Porbeagle shark.
 One hour on the rod we get get chance to dart but don’t get a shot. Hour later we get a chance and bend harpoon. Another hour to get a dart shot before we can and do dart him but snapped leader. Left with only the dart now.
 2.5 hour hand lining 3 people to get him.estimated weight 500. Getting it in boat was as hard as catching it.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Life time PB
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Congrats on a great fish. Hope you celebrated with some steaks and that miller light.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:53 AM »
That's a big fish! Any ideas how old that fish would be?

Are they good to eat?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Actually now that I did some research, I believe the state record porbeagle shark for MA is 495 lbs. I wonder if you guys had a new state record and if so, why it wasn't actually weighed to confirm by your captain. This is of course, assuming you were on a paid charter boat.

A memory for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Great catch.  That much have been one heck of a workout to get on the deck.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Actually now that I did some research, I believe the state record porbeagle shark for MA is 495 lbs. I wonder if you guys had a new state record and if so, why it wasn't actually weighed to confirm by your captain. This is of course, assuming you were on a paid charter boat.

Do state records need to be landed by a single individual or can others on board help out?
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Knot there yet

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Actually now that I did some research, I believe the state record porbeagle shark for MA is 495 lbs. I wonder if you guys had a new state record and if so, why it wasn't actually weighed to confirm by your captain. This is of course,
assuming you were on a paid charter boat.

Private trip and all are phones died at sea we didn’t get pics till on dock. Yes after my research world record is 507. So we probably should have weighed in.

Knot there yet

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:29 PM »
That's a big fish! Any ideas how old that fish would be?

Are they good to eat?
age I have no idea. Regarded as the best tasting sharks. Taste just like swordfish

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:53 PM »

That’s awesome 🎣🎉

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Since we are speaking of sharks can you guys verify or deny something I was told about sharks?

A guy I knew from Florida said some restaurants down there would dice out circular pieces of shark meat and pass them off as scallops? Any truth to that?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Since we are speaking of sharks can you guys verify or deny something I was told about sharks?

A guy I knew from Florida said some restaurants down there would dice out circular pieces of shark meat and pass them off as scallops? Any truth to that?

I have never heard of this here in RI or MA. And to be honest, I am 99.9% sure that I could tell a scallop apart from shark meat.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:41 PM »
age I have no idea. Regarded as the best tasting sharks. Taste just like swordfish

Enjoy it, you deserve it after that battle.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:51 PM »

I have heard of people doing that with skate but have never heard of it confirmed. If all of your scallops are the same exact size I would be a little leery if they are truely scallops.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Swampking89

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Cheek meat from walleyes taste like scallops,just saying!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I have heard of people doing that with skate but have never heard of it confirmed. If all of your scallops are the same exact size I would be a little leery if they are truely scallops.

I've eaten a pile of skate cheeks. Smoked. They are amazing.

Congrats on the fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.