FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nothing doing on the North Branch, Sweet success on the South  (Read 959 times)

bogtrotter

I fished from about 10 AM to 1 PM today.

Mostly cloudy (although it got sunnier as the day progressed), with temps that started out in the mid 60's but crept up to about 70 by the time i finished.

I started by driving to the North Hoosic in North Adams (by the Natural Marble Bridge State Park), but one look told me there was no point. 

The stream bed of the North Branch is pretty steep, and it doesn't take much water to make it flow fast and turbid.

So I spent about an hour trying to fish Hudson Brook (which runs down through the Park and into the North Branch).  While a bit lower, the water levels were still pretty high, and I couldn't find any fish, even in the backwaters and relatively slow-moving spots.

Next, I drove to a private pond where I went from an excess of  water to its opposite.

For the first time I can ever recall, the pond was drained (with the stream that feeds it diverted into a side channel) - - although I did learn it's much deeper (about 6' or 7' deep) than it looks when it's full. 

Finally, I headed to the South Hoosic in Adams, which is not as steep as the North Branch and so less sensitive to changes in stream level.

After waiting to hear the end of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on my car radio, I started fishing near the Old Stone Mill around 12 noon, and fished downstream a little ways past Elm Rock.

I caught a total of 7 rainbows (in the 12" to 16" range) and 2 browns (one 9" and one 10") in a little over an hour. - - two of them (the 9" brown and a 13" rainbow) below the small waterfall downstream from Elm Rock and the rest at Elm Rock itself.

Swampking89

Re: Nothing doing on the North Branch, Sweet success on the South
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Way to stay with it!! Nice job!!

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Sounds like some great on the water time.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Great job Jim.  In going to head out in a few.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.