FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your Two Scents Worth  (Read 7425 times)

eyedoktr

Re: Your Two Scents Worth
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2004, 08:48 AM »
Terrygone fishing, she already knew I did that.   :D
Pete Lewis

wyogator

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:09 AM »
Hey Livin4ice and Fatboy, have you smelled fish attractant? It would take a week of scrubbing to get that stuff off your hands.

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Just rub your hands with salt, it removes the smells quickly. Be sure and rinse your hands before you handle small minnows....although sometimes I think it attracts the fish as well. I have a chunk of old kosher salt in a ziplock bag that works very well.
FTD

Cider

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2004, 10:54 AM »
Lemon juice will remove the smell of almost anything from your hands.

reubenpa

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:04 AM »
rotten worms smell terrible, maybe that would help the scavenger fish , like bullheads, bite if we washed our halds in rotten worms before we handle the hook!! lol
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Hey Reubenpa how old is your little fishin buddy? my little girl is 15 months old she'll be going out this summer! 8)

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:44 PM »
Trophy369 is correct. L-serine which is produced by mammals including humans has shown to repel fish. The salmonoid family can detect this amino acid in as little as 1 part per 8 billion. That is why some people can't seem to catch fish as they give off more L-serine than others do. Studies have shown that people who give off very little L-serine can stand in fish ladders and fish will continue to move through, whereas those who give off lots of this chemical will stop all upstream movement through the ladders.
Their are lots of masking products availible out there, you just have to find the one that works best for you ;)
Just my 2 sense worth ;D

Terrygonefishing, excellent post, but you messed something up. Not all mammals produce L-serine.

Bears produce a lot of this, and the salmon must smell it and know that, hey, there is a bear up there and he's gonna eat us! it is the salmon's natural defense against bears.

Also, one of your facts must be incorrect, or you assumed something that is incorrect. You said that the salmonoid family can detect it up to 1 part per 8 billion, but you also said that some people's L-serine levels are so low that the fish will not detect it. Something is wrong with one of these facts, because human beings, ALL, give off more than 1 part L-serine per 8 billion.

reubenpa

« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Hey Reubenpa how old is your little fishin buddy? my little girl is 15 months old she'll be going out this summer! 8)

He is 6 months and was out at the water with me yesterday, not fishing unfortunately, just sitting on his moms lap
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:41 PM »
reelcharacter..alot of expertise on this post...and a little humor..poke it back when you get a chance!!!   ;D ;D ;D  grump

Thanks Grump!

I agree with almost everything you post, but to give recognition for expertise here may be a bit of a stretch . . .   :)

Be sure to add my two scents to the humor department of this smelly topic, but can recognize when I know I am out-fished, out-smelled and out-matched    ;)

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:29 PM »
TroutFishingBear: You are right, not all mammals produce this chemical. Bears and seals produce alot. I think the salmons urge to spawn however is driving it further upstream even if it detects some danger. It may take a detour around a high producing person/bear, and vere more towards the low producing person/bear.  Yes there is hope for all us high producing L-serine fisherman, and low producers as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.