FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Did I make a mistake?  (Read 4251 times)

OTIS

Did I make a mistake?
« on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:39 AM »
I went shopping over the weekend to pick up a new higher end fishing reel for walleye.  I'm a Shimano guy, so I was thinking of getting the Stradic 2500.  While at the store I was comparing the Stradic to the Sustain when the sales kid brought out the Quantum Energy E20PTiA.  Try as I might I could not find a reason to dislike the Quantum, and after quite a few minutes of comparing I purchased it.  I tried it out and I really like it, but the little voice in the back of my mind is still saying “You should have bought a Shimano”.  So, did I make a mistake?  Does anyone use these reels and what do you think of them?
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

killitandgrillit

Re: Did I make a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:43 AM »
I've never had good luck with Quantum gear. The Stradic is an awesome reel, and would have been my choice. Just MHO.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

Slimechaser

• A sconni lawn ornament.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:44 AM »
Nothing against Shimano, they make a good product.
But the Quantum is a step up. No mistake, I think you'll be very happy with your purchase in the long run.
Rockbass - not just another pretty fish!
Got nymph?         I do!

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:53 AM »
OTIS-
You made a mistake. Take it back while you still can.
There is no reel that compares with the Stradic in that price range.
I have the 1000 and the 2500.
And, yes. I have fished with the Quantum.
JMHO

blaque

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2006, 08:57 AM »
I have one and have a problem getting the bail open if i dont direct it in just the right direction. Other than that, no problems. The drag is phenomenal ,  But its the first higher end reel ive purchased in a while.........So not a whole lot to compare it too. If nothing else, it sure is a handsome reel

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:01 AM »
I've had very good luck with Quantum spinning and baitcasting gear.  Never had a shimano.

fishboy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:02 AM »
Get the Shimano man.  Quantum will not hold up.  I've got several Saharas and they are clutch!
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:06 AM »
Thanks for the honest replies, keep them coming!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:31 AM »
These are obviously all very subjective opinions, but I've never been happy with Quantum.  I too am a Shimano man.  I'm interested to see how it turns out for you.  I've never felt a need to stray from Shimano, but if it turns out to be a good reel, then I guess there's no reason why I need to be SO brand loyal.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I  like Shimano and Daiwa and that's all I'll use......I've got reels from both manufacturers that are pushing 20 years old and I fish alot!  Starting to show some wear, but I have always bought the best equipment I could afford and now none of it owes me a dime.  Just my 2 cents

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:41 AM »
I hear ya Xrhino.  I have to have 15 - 20 Shimano's and only one other Quantum.  But in the store side by side the Quantum was a lot nicer than the Stradic.  It is heavier, but I'm putting it on a larger rod so the balance is ok.  I'm bothered because it's not a Shimano more than anything else.  I'm concerned with how the reel will hold up over time.

devil-man

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I'm concerned with how the reel will hold up over time.

I'm telling you, man.
The Stradics hold up on the ice!  :o
I've had the 1000 for 2 1/2 years, and she's still smooth.

Pikeguy

« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:49 AM »
I'm telling you, man.
The Stradics hold up on the ice!  :o
I've had the 1000 for 2 1/2 years, and she's still smooth.

I'm currently very unhappy with a Rapala reel I have and was thinking about switching. I'm going to have to look the Stradics up....I've heard alot of good things between D-man and Slipbob. Good sources IMO

OTIS

« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:50 AM »
I can vouch for that D-Man.  The reel it is replacing is a 15+ year old Symetre.  It doesn't look as good as new but its still going to be in service this fall when the walleye run.  The big reason for the replacement is now the majority of my reels do not have the fast cast option, and I don't like switching between reels that have it and reels that don't.

Ya, I'm waiting to get yelled at by Slipbob. :-[

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Nothing against Shimano, they make a good product.
But the Quantum is a step up.

I have yet to own a Quantumn fishing reel that has survived more then a few months...even their top notch stuff seems a bit 'off' if not overpriced.  Heck, ask my buddy Tom, he went and bought a bunch of accurists (7) for bass tourney fishing a few years back, and NOT ONE SINGLE ONE lasted an entire season of hard fishing.  The frames were actually snapping - how bad is that??

Sorry Otis...hey I hope you have better luck then me and have ZERO problems with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.