FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: dog fish  (Read 6585 times)

broken rod

• CPR
dog fish
« on: Mar 26, 2004, 08:59 PM »
   anybody here eat these thing just kinda courious  :o
tight lines, chuck

raleigh

Re: dog fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:10 PM »
I could be wrong, But from what I understand a dog fish is the same thing as a Eelpout or ling. I have never eatin one, or caught one for that mater. But I guess people do eat them. I would imagin they tast kinda like catfish.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Naw Raliegh,  Dogfish in the midwest are actually "Bowfin" and in the northwest they are a form of shark.
Can't say I would stick a fork in one!  Everything is edible if you have a cast iron stomach, I mean someone had to eat the first egg right?

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:24 PM »
 im guessing there got to be someone who tried. getting them to idmit to it mite be one thing ;D
           i caught one on the wisconsin river last year i didnt know what i had at first ;D seen all those teeth and was like you can have that hook  ;D
tight lines, chuck

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:45 PM »
Brokenrod,  I don't blame you for gettin scared! ;D  They are pretty spooky fish up close. :o   Gotta believe that someone on the forum has eatin' one of these dino-fish.  I would think those critters would dull the ol' fillet knife pretty fast.  Gotta get past that  prehistoric face though.... :-\ 

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2004, 09:51 PM »
 aint that the truth ;D
tight lines, chuck

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:53 AM »
In Ma. and the Northeast "dogfish" are sand sharks quite a few are caught while bottom fishing for cod and haddock. In England they use dogfish for fish and chips.  :)
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2004, 04:53 PM »
Ok, the dogfish mentioned here are not sharks, but a primitive form of fish found in weedy freshwater waters. They can breathe air and are quite vicious predators. They measure from 1-3 feet long and weigh up to 20 pounds. Their real name is bowfin. There are dogfish in the ocean, which are in fact small sharks of no relation to the bowfin. Some people confuse them with mudpuppies, which are 5 inch long salamanders.  As for eating, i have heard of someone eating them, but wouldn't if you paid me, that is if you can kill them. ::) I guess their flesh is a bright blue. Pictures will follow. ;) 

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2004, 06:45 PM »
My Wife and I used to spend a week every summer on North Hero Island VT. with some friends and we caught Bowfin up to 10 lbs. They are very hard fighters and will attack lures with the tenacity of any Pike or Musky. They will eat anything and we caught a lot of them on cut bait. I've even seen kids catch them off docks on a chunk of hot dog. As far as eating them, some of the natives told us they were'nt bad when the water was cold but I have never tried one. And yea...THEY'RE UGLY!!!!....WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:12 PM »
POSSIBLE GOATBOY SIGHTING!
A picture of a Bowfin and a possible Goatboy. We are certain about the Bowfin- please advise on the Goatboy

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Saw a guy with a bowfin/dogfish on a stringer once and called it a mudfish. He was going to eat it. Not me. A buddy caught one when we were fishing the 1000 Islands for muskies. Hit a big diving bait in 40 feet of current. We thought it was a big walleye. Can't remember the length but it was 13 pounds. They have a face on 'em like a blind date I was fixed up with once.  I need a beer...........
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

slacker

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2004, 10:45 PM »
yeah those are nasty fish. i think they got a red spot on there tails here.  lol i dont think i've seen that goat boy before. :D

skulldugary

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:53 AM »
Yep bowfin,I think they are a member of the water turd family......

FishDaddy09

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:17 AM »
Here in Mich, In.  when we catch a dog fish we slit it's belly open and throw it back in. The only good thing you can say for them is they do fight hard!

Cider

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Okay, here we go...

The mudpuppy, or waterdog, is an amphibian that is found in freshwater rivers and streams throughout the eastern United States and southeastern Canada.  They are unique in that they exhibit neoteny.  Meaning, that proteids retain larval characteristics throughout their entire adult life.  Adult mudpuppies have lungs and a set of bushy, red, external gills located on either side of its head.  They are reddish-brown on top and white-grey underneath with black spots.

Proteids can reach lengths of up to twelve inches (30 cm).  They walk river bottoms by means of short stout legs that develop early in life.  Mudpuppies feed primarily on crawfish and aquatic vegetation.

These amphibians are close relatives of the European Olm (Proteus anguineus).

In North America, there are five species of mud puppies classified as such:

Phylum: Chordata
Sub-phylum: Vertebrata
Class: Amphibia
Order: Urodela
Family: Proteidae
Genus: Necturus
Species:

N. punctatus (Dwarf waterdog)
   N. maculosus (Common mudpuppy)
   N. lewisi (Neuse River waterdog)
   N. beyeri (Gulf Coast waterdog)
   N. alabamensis (Alabama waterdog, Black Warrior waterdog)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.