FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Turtle Fishing Lures?  (Read 7322 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Turtle Fishing Lures?
« on: Jun 22, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Have any of you ever seen or fished with lures that look like a turtle, if so what type was it and how did it work? ???

The only turtle lure I have ever seen and used was a little rubber turtle, that was weedless. It was 3 inches long and blue/black, not sure of the name.

We don't have many turtles in Sask. but I would guess that the babies could be food for pike, pickerel, musky and bass yes, no, maybe so? :-\

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Turtle Fishing Lures?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2006, 09:00 PM »
That very well may be the weirdest thing I have ever heard of. I would love to see one. :o

archbishop

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2006, 09:03 PM »
i have seen a similar one in a bait shop down in indiana, probably for bass, i didnt pay much attention to it but it was just plain green and plastic just as you described, didnt notice if it was weedless or not though ???

just tried a search? just got mice, sand fleas(kinda looks like a turtle), and frogs ???

archbishop

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2006, 10:09 PM »
Here's a US patent for one.
Check it out.
Mac

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week34/OG/html/1297-4/US06931785-20050823.html

must not be that great since no one has heard of them?

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2006, 08:42 AM »
I've never seen one but I imagine it could work well if you're fishing an area with tons of em. I'll stick to my topwater frogs though.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2006, 02:43 AM »
Here in Indiana I have seen little turtles go near LM bass beds, the bass would suck it up, leave the bed and spit it out.

Might be something to try during the spawn if you are sight fishing bedding bass.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Hmm....I've caught turtles on bass lures, but never heard bass hitting turtle lures

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Interesting article slipbob. I see where they are comming from, it seem the bass were just removing the turtles from the spawing beds, where they might eat the eggs.
It would be nasty to have one of those little nippers in your mouth,they might bite or scratch the delicate gills on the way down or the stomach, in any case it would be a painful meal.
:pinch:

WW

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2006, 03:16 PM »
Here in Indiana I have seen little turtles go near LM bass beds, the bass would suck it up, leave the bed and spit it out.

Might be something to try during the spawn if you are sight fishing bedding bass.
Yes old friend you are right!!!!  We have a painted turtle here that start out small but dont grow to be very big.  My grandpa use to have a wooden lure painted up just like those turtles.  I am going to check around and see if I can find it.  If I do I will post a pic.  Funny thing though, I never saw him use it!

archbishop

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2006, 03:52 PM »
if the bass strike out of aggression and dont actually eat the bait, would it be feasable to use the lure and just set the hook as soon as there is any tension? or is this just a waste of time? it probably couldnt hurt if nothing else is working?

i am like a bass and they are the turtle, once a bass is in my mouth i just spit it out :laugh:

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2006, 03:55 PM »
I think I'll stick to bulky plastics for my bedding bass site fishing needs.

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2006, 06:16 PM »
if the bass strike out of aggression and dont actually eat the bait, would it be feasable to use the lure and just set the hook as soon as there is any tension? or is this just a waste of time? it probably couldnt hurt if nothing else is working?

i am like a bass and they are the turtle, once a bass is in my mouth i just spit it out :laugh:
I suppose it would...as long as turtles are harassing their beds.  Still looking for that lure...I know I got it...I kept all of grandpa's stuff!!!!!!

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Guys....think about this: A bass will pick up and move a live turtle, correct?  And why do they let go?  Because it's kicking around!  I'd be willing to bet that if a bass grabbed the plastic turtle, it would hang on plenty long enough to set the hook just because of the simple fact that it wouldn't be kicking around in its mouth.  ::)  But that's just my opinion.

-Zach

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Guys....think about this: A bass will pick up and move a live turtle, correct?  And why do they let go?  Because it's kicking around!  I'd be willing to bet that if a bass grabbed the plastic turtle, it would hang on plenty long enough to set the hook just because of the simple fact that it wouldn't be kicking around in its mouth.  ::)  But that's just my opinion.

-Zach

dont take this the wrong way but how do you know bass spit out turtles because there kicking around they eat crayfish and they have pinchers.......just a thought
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2006, 07:11 AM »
Maybe it has something to do with their shells?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.