FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What do you do? C&R or Catch & Keep?  (Read 15675 times)

Cider

What do you do? C&R or Catch & Keep?
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I saw this topic in the NJ board and thought it was pretty cool...

I release 80-90% of the fish I catch.  I mainly keep my possession limit of 10 trout (12-15" brookies and bows) for the season, a couple lakers & landlock salmon which we consume when we get them, a reasonable number of cusk/eelpout (about 20), and the same for yellow perch (no limit on cusk or perch in NH).

charlie

Re: What do you do? C&R or Catch & Keep?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:18 PM »
Everything goes back except the crappie and the perch.Deep fried perch and crappie are favorites at my house

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Mostly catch and release now. I do keep some fish, a handful of bass each year becuase my wife likes them maybe 5 tops 10 bass (usually 13-16 inches long)

I personally will keep some perch to eat, some crappie to eat, walleye to eat and the occasional pike.

If someone puts in a request for me to keep fish I will do that also, my Dad eats alot of fish. My neighbor a older man disabled asks for fish and deer as well So I give him some.

But I would have to say 80% C&R for sure, could be higher.

I have zero problem if a person wants to keep all there take as long as it is within the law.

Jon

"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:20 PM »
if i'm fishing for walleye, i will keep the daily limit for eating, perch varies with lakes here (25 on most) with lake winnipeg, manitoba and winnipegosis no limit. it depends on the size being caught, but enough for several meals. lake trout is a maximum of 2 and thats the most i keep; they dont freeze well for extended periods.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:45 PM »
reelinrolly  send them to me, and i'll clean them for you. ;D ;D no guarantees how quickly you'll get them back.  ;D ;D

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:46 PM »
I only keep Perch, Crappies, Catfish, Walleye, Smallmouth Bass & Some Trout & maybe 3 Salmon & 2 to 3 Largemouth Bass a year.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2004, 04:14 PM »
I'll keep some fish during ice season, but only crappie, yellow perch, and some of the stocked trout if they are good eating size (pan size but not too small).  I usually will only keep a dozen or less a few times each season.

All my predators go back, especially bass.  They are my buddies.  Each one that I catch tells me that if I let him go, he'll grant me a wish.  So, I tell each bass that offers me that wish that I wish to catch more and bigger bass.  It works too ;) ;D.

However, I might keep a walleye or two each year from now on if they are not too big or too small (no breeder size).  I've only kept a few of them in the past, but they are becoming more common around here so a few won't hurt the fishery at all.

sparkie

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 04:17 PM »
keep the walleyes,perch,crappie, and bluegills all the rest go back for someone else.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2004, 04:20 PM »
I keep some to eat at different times of the year. I like fish!

Most are released to bite another day.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seaweed01

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:27 PM »
I keep perch, walleyes, a few crappies and some
smallmouth bass. All the rest go back. I like to eat fish
and so do my grown children.

eyedoktr

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:30 PM »
I only keep walleye and perch. I return most of the perch I catch and it depends on where I catch the walleye if I keep them or not. Lake Erie walleye taste great when prepared properly, even the bigguns. I may start keeping a few bass as I hear they make great fertilizer. :) :)
Pete Lewis

Riverjet

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:39 PM »
Only keep 1 or 2 stripers some perch and a few walleye a year rest are free to swim again
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:01 PM »
CPR on the bigger fish. panfish we fillet and eat, but only enough for a meal or two.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Fish Stick

• Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Most go back. I like to eat fish, but my wife and kids don't. I usually keep perch from 8" - 12", mostly when ice fishing.(my own personal slot limit) Maybe 1 or 2 trout a year. I'm much more inclined to keep fish when the water is cold, they just taste better.

I agree with BuckShotJon, as long as you are legal keep all you want.
If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails.

mongo

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Catch and release everything during the summer, perch and trout are kept during ice fishing season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.