FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What got you started?  (Read 6961 times)

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
Re: What got you started?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:11 PM »
My friend John's, uncle Roy (18 at the time), found the time to take us fishing when we were 11 yrs old.  From that point on we were hooked.  My dad taught me the fine art of crabbing, but didn't care much for fishing. :(

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:22 PM »
My grandfather got me hooked and is still with me on every outing. Fasination turned to amazement when he put a night crawler between his lips and his cigarettee on a hook and proceeded to catch a bass!! ;)

. . . and smoked worm?   :)

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

nehusker13

« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:19 AM »
I got a late start at fishing. My father was, and still is, a dead beat. I never really had anyone to take me out. My mom then got me involved in the Big Brother program and the guy that volunteered his time took me fishing. I had a blast and have been fishing since. I owe a lot to him, cuz he also got me interested in sports. If I hadnt gotten into fishing and other sports, who knows how I would have ended up. All I do know is that a lot of people I grew up with in the neighborhood I was in are now either dead, in prison, or addicts. When I wasnt fishing I was playing football, baseball, and a little basketball. It was later in high school that a friend and his father got me into hunting. So I actually owe everything to my mother, without her I probably would have never gotten into any of these activities. Oh yeah and thanks to my father for showing me how to be a terrible dad, and setting the example of what not to do. Still dont believe I owe him anything though ;) .

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2004, 11:53 AM »
My grandfather on my mother's side got me started on "the farm" where me and my 2 brothers spent most of our summers as kids. Man that place was cool, I could drive by the time I was 10 and would take an army surplus '55 Willy's Flying "A" Jeep down to the pond whenever I wanted.  Every once in a while I Next Day Air a cooler of frozen fish to him to say thanks.

gator_hunter

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2004, 12:38 AM »
I dont remember how old I was but every summer we stayed at my grandparents cabin.My brother and I would row an old boat to a cluster of fallen trees across the channel and sit there for hours, filling stringers with perch.It was the only time we got along back then and MAN we were hooked(sometimes litteraly :o) Then we got to go with my uncles at night for walleye and it was all over.Who in wisconsin remembers five pike a day no size limits? Ohhh man those were the days. :'(

madbomber

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:45 AM »
My grandfather got me started (rest his soul) when we were very young. He would take my brother and me to a lake in theresa NY where he had a camp.We would fish for largemouth bass. My grandmother would promply fillet and cook them for our lunch. Then back out again in the afternoon.I still think about it often . I just hope I can give that kind of love for the sport to one or all of my kids.                                                                                                                                                nehusker13-   (there is a saying that kids that hunt,fish and trap dont steal little old ladys purses)
MADBOMBER

mongo

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:26 PM »
Booted the girl friend to the curb, now I have all the free time in the world.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:38 PM »
My dad always took me when I was little, about 2 years old. Now I'm 15 with about, oh 10 years of serious river fishing in. It's an excellent sport as well as a rewarding one. (yum!!!) ;)

bud

• never put off what you can catch today to tomorrow
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2004, 07:04 PM »
my dad.  we fished for trout and pan fish from the shore.  sure wish he was still here to go out in the boat now.  man i'd love to see the look in his eyes the first time he hooked into a decent smallie!  miss ya dad!
the fishin pug is my favorite fishing partner!
favorite place the conneticut river from walpole to the thetford area.

wny angler

« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:30 AM »
my grandfather on my mothers side took me fishing just about  every weekend .my father didn't care to much for fishing or hunting,he'd rather stay out all night and get drunk.the first time i remember fishing with my grandfather i was 5 or 6 yrs old we fished for calico bass (crappie) in the canals and docks in the spring.to this day fishing crappies in the spring is still my favorite.  ;D  these days i take my son fishing with me every chance i get and i rarely get drunk  thanks to my grandfather   ;D

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:35 AM »
It's very interesting to read what got everybody started fishing.  I like a lot of you got started fishing with my Grandfather.  The most patient man in the world.  To this day, when ever I'm home we still go out and cast a few.  He also got me started night crawler hunting.  What would I have done without him.  The funny thing is, I beg as a child for my Dad to take me and now that I've moved out, he doesn't miss a weekend.  Leave it to the Ole Man. >:(
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

Jigwiggler

« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2004, 09:14 AM »
     My father started me fishing as soon as I could walk and ever since took me with him whenever he could.  Now that I have little fisherman of my own, we still manage to hit the water together quite often.  I have some great memories thanks to him including catching a 37 lb. King Salmon and a 47" Musky both at the age of 9.  Niether of those have I since topped by the way ;D .  My son is now 4 and has been my fishing buddy for over 2 years.  My daughter will be 2 in May and will most likely have her first fishing trip in by then.  Take your kids fishing, they'll love you for it!!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Started fishing off my dock when just a little kid. Gramps was a guide and I was in awe of all the big muskies. My dad continued on and I did for a while too. Just love it. Had my 1st son out on the ice at 3 1/2. While in Nam, I used to relax while thinking of ice fishing, dock or boat fishing. Never did any over there with a rod but we popped a grenade in a river and got a few. Fish that is. Caught hell for it as well.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

Riverjet

« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Birth :D
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:27 PM »
I owe it all to my Mom, my Grandma, and my Aunts for getting me started. These ladies loved to fish!!! From the time I was about 3 or 4 they would drag me with them ( whinin' and cryin' ) the whole time to their favorite bullhead pond or their favorite spot on the creek and we fished.  I didn't wanna be there, but I had no choice. Well, little by little, it started to sink in and now I am the am the MONSTER THAT THEY CREATED!!! Thanks Mom, Grandma, Aunt Addie, and Aunt Annie for gettin me started. I love it and I owe it all to you.  ;) WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.