FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Do fish feel pain???  (Read 4375 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Do fish feel pain???
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Fish are not cute enough for the animal rights people to worry about. ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2008, 04:19 PM »
Don't be too sure about that Skipper.
This , from a PETA website.

"As you would expect from animals who we now know to be intelligent and interesting individuals with memories and the capacity to learn, fish can also suffer from fear and anticipation of physical pain. Researchers from universities across America have published research showing that some fish use sound to communicate distress when nets are dipped into their tanks or they are otherwise threatened. In a separate study, researcher William Tavolga found that fish grunted when they received an electric shock. In addition, the fish began to grunt as soon as they saw the electrode, clearly in anticipation of the torment that Tavolga was inflicting on them."

They'll go to any length to get donations.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2008, 07:27 PM »
 ::)

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2008, 07:35 PM »
P.E.T.A people eating tasty animals. Animals were put on this earth for one reason only to work and provide for man. Well actualy thats two but you get the point!
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Animals were put on this earth for one reason only to work and provide for man

Animals and PETA!!!  Peta should have to work and provide for "man" also, as they're a completely different breed......
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2008, 11:43 PM »
can i say it?

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Steelie Slayer

« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2008, 11:53 PM »
GO POOLEY!
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:09 AM »
Just remember we're "G" rated here.

I didn't intend to divert this thread from the original topic. Let's get back to "Do Fish Feel Pain".

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rayhakfish

• Don't know the cause, but fishing the cure!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Hmmmm? I have grandkids who I e-mail my fishing pics to and they all want to fish with grandpa. It has been so long since I first took my own kids fishing that I can't remember how I might have answered "does it hurt the fish?" or "what do you mean the fished died?" Better ask if that subject has been explained yet.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 2008, 09:02 AM »
"Do fish feel pain?
The world's foremost expert on the subject is Dr. James D. Rose of the University of Wyoming. He's spent 30 years working on questions of neurology, examining data on the responses of animals to painful stimuli. In 2003 Rose published a landmark study in the journal Reviews of Fisheries Science, concluding that animals need specific regions of the cerebral cortex in order to feel pain. And fish do not have them. "

On the other hand.........from a vegitarian web site ::)

"There is actually rather a lot of science to back up the fact that fish do feel pain. Recent research published in April 2003 by The Royal Society investigated the sensory system of trout through their responses to injections of bee venom and acetic acid around their mouths. In effect the research was trying to find out whether fish possessed the same kind of pain receptors that have already been identified in amphibians, birds and mammals including humans. And secondly, whether the response to the pain producer (i.e. the bee sting etc) was not just a reflex response which might be akin for example to pressing the belly of a talking barbie doll; but rather an actual adverse reaction to the pain stimulus."

No definitive conclusions though....self serving opinion at best.

RG

Eye Hunter

« Reply #25 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I sure hope so. I still have the scars from a northern pike that ripped me up once when I was trying to remove the hook. ;D

Steelie Slayer

« Reply #26 on: Aug 31, 2008, 08:33 PM »
I sure hope so. I still have the scars from a northern pike that ripped me up once when I was trying to remove the hook.

LOL! Get revenge on them buggers when they prick me with their dorsals!!! TAKE THAT........
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Everybody is allways worried about the animals feelings, what about the plants ? The poor trees, carrots and heads of lettuce. I wonder if they feel any pain ?

Yes thats how rediculous I think a topic like this is. I sure they feel pain, but if we, over the course of our exsistence didn't inflict pain upon these animals to consume them, then we probably wouldn't be here. It's called survival of the fittest. When  is the last time anyone heard of a pack of wolves stop eating deer because they were worried about the pain they were going to cause them in the process.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:55 PM »
good one Mickey! i feel their pain too! all the way to my freezer! ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: Sep 04, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Personally I have to wear earplugs when I'm making a salad. All that GHASTLY din...the screaming heads of lettuce...slashing knives..the moan of the celery...the incessant sobbing of the onions.....bleeding tomatoes ...and the cucumbers..the peeled skin.................I CAN'T TALK ABOUT !

THE HORROR.....THE HORROR....
rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.