FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What I will miss that only happens on the ice!  (Read 3208 times)

finatic

What I will miss that only happens on the ice!
« on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:21 PM »
 Every year at the end of the season I do a finally tally from my log book. I always realize I have a record of my catches and something that over the years means more too me than anything and that is the friendships made when you walk over and start a conversation with the guys set up around you! This is something you can't and don't do in a boat, if you get to close to someone, they get upset like it's their lake or your gonna steal their secrets or something... I always try to start conversations at the dock loading or unloading the boat...I usually surprise them by showing or even giving them the plastics that worked for me... Most think it's BS but this past summer when I threw a youngster the hot color ribbed worm and gave him the rig to fish it  I got the coolest response.... I was down the lake a bit and heard the young fellow yelling to me " Hey mister look what I caught on that worm" It might not have been the biggest fish, but he thought at the moment it was!
    Another time this couple where headin out and said " they didn't know why they hadn't caught anything in that lake"  I ask where they fished...She exclaimed same old spot, same old nothing...I pointed them towards a small flat with a good weed edge  and she said let's go there and he rolled his eyes and ...Well later in the parking lot while tying down  the lady came running up to me with 4 of the nicest walleyes and a smile and a hug... sure made her day and mine too!

So I got a little side tracked there but wanted to say.. Let's all try to be more friendly on the water, maybe you'll learn something in return..I fish for fun and try to keep it that way, I do fish the local tourneys and have done well, but always try to share info...on IS I contiguously got blasted by the locals for saying anything but you know what..tuff...I learned to keep it general info but did not lie about anything cuz you will get caught up in it...

So do more than wave!    Good fishin...and enjoy the summer and practice CPR...please for the kids sake!

icechunk

• The eyes have it
Re: What I will miss that only happens on the ice!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Met a lot of great people out on the water talking on the ship to shore. Sometimes the fishing is slow and the radio is a great way to kill time and meet new people.
And God said "Let there be Fish"

Cubefisher

• Trout through the ice..... Now that's nice!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Every year at the end of the season I do a finally tally from my log book. I always realize I have a record of my catches and something that over the years means more too me than anything and that is the friendships made when you walk over and start a conversation with the guys set up around you! This is something you can't and don't do in a boat, if you get to close to someone, they get upset like it's their lake or your gonna steal their secrets or something... I always try to start conversations at the dock loading or unloading the boat...I usually surprise them by showing or even giving them the plastics that worked for me... Most think it's BS but this past summer when I threw a youngster the hot color ribbed worm and gave him the rig to fish it  I got the coolest response.... I was down the lake a bit and heard the young fellow yelling to me " Hey mister look what I caught on that worm" It might not have been the biggest fish, but he thought at the moment it was!
    Another time this couple where headin out and said " they didn't know why they hadn't caught anything in that lake"  I ask where they fished...She exclaimed same old spot, same old nothing...I pointed them towards a small flat with a good weed edge  and she said let's go there and he rolled his eyes and ...Well later in the parking lot while tying down  the lady came running up to me with 4 of the nicest walleyes and a smile and a hug... sure made her day and mine too!

So I got a little side tracked there but wanted to say.. Let's all try to be more friendly on the water, maybe you'll learn something in return..I fish for fun and try to keep it that way, I do fish the local tourneys and have done well, but always try to share info...on IS I contiguously got blasted by the locals for saying anything but you know what..tuff...I learned to keep it general info but did not lie about anything cuz you will get caught up in it...

So do more than wave!    Good fishin...and enjoy the summer and practice CPR...please for the kids sake!
Nicely said my friend. I also get sad when the ice melts and my IceShanty friends go on with thier open water lives. That is one of the reasons I don't fish much from my boat anymore. I would rather wade a stream and meet fellow anglers and perhaps make a few new friends along the way.

woodfolks

• woodfolks.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I love the cooking and not getting lines caught up
on the bottom or trees

Ill be taking my little 14 foot boat out but
will miss just walking out and dropping a line.

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:13 AM »
this was my first hardcore icefishing season (went every weekend for 2 months) and had such a blast... One thing is for sure... going fishing during the coldest nastiest part of the year your only going to meet true diehard fishermen which in my experience has been very helpful and enjoyable, compared to some of the recreational boaters/jetskiers you run into during the summer...but with the seasons changing theres nothing that can be done except get out and enjoy the best we can  :tipup:

Chuckles

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:44 AM »
I'm really going to miss   "snotcicles" .....LOL
and the fish warden sneaking up behind me.
On soft water they gotta use a boat.    LOL

skulldugary

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:50 AM »
Walking on water.... ;D

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Nicely said my friend. I also get sad when the ice melts and my IceShanty friends go on with thier open water lives. That is one of the reasons I don't fish much from my boat anymore. I would rather wade a stream and meet fellow anglers and perhaps make a few new friends along the way.
well said!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
hard core fanatic!

fish_finder

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Cookin on the ice and having to run for a flag every time i try to take a bite and the socializing, like ya said not as much of it goes on as on teh hardwater
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

Drifter_016

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:15 AM »
The thing I miss the most is the access to hundreds of lakes that are either fly in or canoe and portage in during the open water season.

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2009, 01:15 PM »

Very well put!  I like your style!  Tightlines to you!
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

lil-skipper

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2009, 01:35 PM »

Finatic, that's a great act of good ole fishing sportsmanship and great acts of commaraderie, I actually would enjoy talking to you sometime on a boat dock. LOL this coming year on the open water , I would like to think everyone who fishes for enjoyment could run into many people like yourself, it sure would make for a much better world.

fishmich

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2009, 02:21 PM »
I'm going to miss everything about the hardwater. But I have a few friends that are new to ice fishing
and watching their faces when a huge crack erupts  :o is priceless

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2009, 04:02 PM »
I'll miss the solitude of the ice. None of my buddies will venture out on the ice with me. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to fishing with my buddies again.  ;D
Drifter, I'm jealous. That topo map looks like a sponge. But you still have lots of ice don't ya? Another reason for me to be jealous.  >:(

Drifter_016

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I'll miss the solitude of the ice. None of my buddies will venture out on the ice with me. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to fishing with my buddies again.  ;D
Drifter, I'm jealous. That topo map looks like a sponge. But you still have lots of ice don't ya? Another reason for me to be jealous.  >:(

Ice we got!!!
Ice out is in June in these here parts.  ;D :'( >:( ???

Here's a TOPO version of that Sat Photo (more or less)  :D
We ain't short of water to wet a line in.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.