FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Too much line on your reel.....is that a reel problem?  (Read 26430 times)

sperrin

Hey guys, just thought I would post the qestion....

Whenever I go fishing with my Dad and someone has there spool right full with line he always says thats way to much line, your just asking for problems.....We normally just fish with spin cast reels.

Is it true, can you put "too much line" on your spin cast reel ? I never really seem to have a problem with mine, but I never put to much on, but just thought I'd see whatever one else thinks about it?

Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
Re: Too much line on your reel.....is that a reel problem?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2009, 01:34 PM »
I think sometimes it has alot to do with high memory mono..... when it comes off the package reel which is much bigger, then gets placed onto the smaller fishing reel.... which can cause it to coil off the real ...........thats my theory anyway. But too much line can be a bad thing and cause problems when you cast.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

burgerunh

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Yes if you put too much line on your spinning reel you will have issues with it coming off the reel and tangling.  As a rule of thumb I only spool mine 2/3 to 3/4 full which is plenty of line for fishing.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Try this;
I'm a pretty frugal guy...cheap, in fact. I spool my reels 1/2 - 2/3 with backer and only what I consider to be tha maximum amount of line I could expend on a particular specie of fish. What's that mean?

My ultralights get about 40 - 50 yards of mono. My medium reels get about 100 yards. I don't have any real heavy reels. My bait casters get 50 or so yards.

Why, you may ask?

So I can control the amount of line on my reels and change it as often as I like without re-spooling the whole reel. Saves money, insures fresh line when I need it and keeps the spool filled to a proper level. I always fill to about 1/8 inch of capacity.

Never had a problem.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2009, 06:10 PM »
RG, now I know how to stretch the dollar...good advise, I always hate to spend the $$ for new line....

BBK

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2009, 06:20 PM »
How can someone see how much line you have on a spincast reel?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2009, 07:17 PM »
Spools on most reels are marked with the maximum line capacity for each weight line. If you fill the spool 2/3 - 3/4 full with backer, you can approximate the amount of mono you're adding.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MasterAngler

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2009, 07:40 PM »

;D  I was thinking someone would mention something like that eventually.  I'd bet he probably meant a spinning reel, not a spincast.  Too many people tend to mix the two up. 
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

Gambler

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2009, 08:04 PM »

Unscrew the nose piece and look at the spool.
Sometimes you have to push the button to expose the spool but it is in there.
Take Care and God Bless!

Rick

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Baitcasters yes... problem is if you ahve too much line then you will run the line on the guide as you reel in.... Open face spinning reel, YES!!!!!!  A lot of times the line with just freely fall off of the spool if you have the spool jack right full of line.  This can cause BIG problems.  Expecially if you use mono, its has lost of memory and will freespool off your reel sometimes even if you dont have too much line on......
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

BBK

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Unscrew the nose piece and look at the spool.
Sometimes you have to push the button to expose the spool but it is in there.

"Whenever I go fishing with my Dad and someone has there spool right full with line he always says thats way to much line, your just asking for problems.....We normally just fish with spin cast reels."

How can his dad see the line inside the spincast reel? I'm thinking he meant to say spinning.

infectedtoe1952

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2009, 05:17 AM »
the ist time that i fished with my brother in law, he kept casting short. finally i looked at his reel and he only had 10 yds of line on it!!!!!! i asked him why and he said that he went to kmart and bought a 100 ydspool of their best line. he bought it for his 10 reels and only put 10 yds on each reel!!!!!!!! yup its true lol

walleye1

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2009, 08:10 AM »
the ist time that i fished with my brother in law, he kept casting short. finally i looked at his reel and he only had 10 yds of line on it!!!!!! i asked him why and he said that he went to kmart and bought a 100 ydspool of their best line. he bought it for his 10 reels and only put 10 yds on each reel!!!!!!!! yup its true lol

;D ;D ;D

sperrin

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Ya thanks for the correction I did mean Spinning Reel...

8)
Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2009, 11:04 PM »
the best way to do it is put enough line on the spool that it comes to withing about one millimeter of the edge of the spool, that way you have plenty of line, but there isn't so much that it pulls off in a big wad. to me too much line is anywhere beyond the edge of the spool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.