FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Male and Female Yellow Perch  (Read 39277 times)

taxid

Re: Male and Female Yellow Perch
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2011, 12:03 AM »
On average how long do the live and which one lives longer, male or female??

Not sure as I sell the females when they are about 4 to 6 years in age. I've been told they should live up to 11 years in age but that is wild slower growing fish that may live longer.

Many of the perch I sell to BPS end up being pike or musky food not by BPS' choice.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

eyepoker

« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2011, 05:16 AM »
MOBY PERCH!!!!!!!!!!

pikeslayer

« Reply #32 on: Mar 20, 2011, 02:46 PM »
is there any way you have control the water temp or anything or do you just let it be normal

taxid

« Reply #33 on: Mar 20, 2011, 06:14 PM »
is there any way you have control the water temp or anything or do you just let it be normal

Outside no. Inside yes.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

pocketperch

« Reply #34 on: Mar 21, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Great pics!

Aaron072

« Reply #35 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:48 AM »
looks like a fun hobby ;D

davejohnson2

« Reply #36 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:12 PM »
As I said in a previous post the goal in my grow out pond is ALL females.  Unfortunately I did drop one male in there accidentally when sorting a couple of years ago.  Another way to control perch numbers in a pond is to place brush in the shallow water next to the shore in bundles spaced evenly around the pond. The females will lay their eggs on the brush and one can periodically remove any eggs one sees as soon as they appear.  I do this every year due to that one male I dropped in.

man that one male must be having a good time  ;D

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:23 PM »
man that one male must be having a good time  ;D

Hopefully he died with a smile on his face.  :D

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #38 on: Mar 22, 2011, 02:25 AM »
Outside no. Inside yes.

Not quite sure what ya mean by that comment? Do ya also have some perch that are strictly grown indoors with water temp. controlled also? Hmmm. gets me thinking! :o

taxid

« Reply #39 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:43 AM »

Not quite sure what ya mean by that comment? Do ya also have some perch that are strictly grown indoors with water temp. controlled also? Hmmm. gets me thinking! :o

I started bringing in some young of year feed trained perch that I had hatched and feed trained in a pond this winter into one of two recirculating aquaculture systems I build for the basement. That way I get a few more inches on them over the winter before planting them into the two outside ponds in the spring. There's virtually no growth under the ice in the winter so this allows me to get them up to size a little faster.

If you're interested, my system is modeled after the system in the following book that is available on Amazon.com for about $25.00 by Steven Van Gorder. Everything you need to build the system is available at a local building supply store except for polystyrene plastic sheets which are available at plastic supplier.

If anyone is interested in building one I'd be happy to help. You could easily hold and feed a 100 lbs. of minnows in one of these systems. Probably spawn them in another tank.

My tanks are only about 6 foot vs. the 12' swimming pool in the book, and I've made some modifications, as in putting the rotating biofilter in a separate tank vs. in the fish tank itself. I also made a center drain and spray bar that makes the tank self cleaning (the spray bar causes the water to rotate with a circular flow and automatically removes feces and uneaten feed down the center drain).

If anyone is interested in building one I'd be happy to help. You could easily hold and feed a 100 lbs. of minnows in one of these systems.

Original set up before moving the biofilter out of the fish tank and doing some modifications. A small pump pulls water from the top of the clarifier tank to turn the rotating biofilter by dropping water on baffles in the center of the drum. The rotating biofilter has 600 square feet of surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow on.

A view of the clarifier which is nothing more than a 55 gallon drum packed with deer fence netting to collect suspended and settleable solids from the fish tank.  A siphon made of PVC perpetually pulls in fish tank water to the bottom.

If you curious what the iron tank is on the right it's an iron filter I rented. However I wasn't very impressed and built a mechanical iron filter myself which was simply two 55 gallon drums side by side with the water being pumped to one and going back to the other via a siphon. In one drum was filter material where the iron got trapped in. Crystal clear water in 24 hrs.!

This may look complicated to some of you but it's really a simple concept. Basically a large scale aquarium. If I can do it anyone can as I can be mechanically challenged at times. The hardest part was building the biofilter as it was a PITA to cut the fiberglass roofing plates and line them up!

Fishtail

« Reply #40 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I live in Michigan and we have the yellow perch but we also have what I call lake Michigan perch. I always wondered if they are a different species? You can tell them apart when you catch them. They are whiter and they come in bigger schools and you mostly catch them over rocks when spawning. I just thought i would ask if you had any kinda info on that. Thanks i like the info you have been giving use its very interesting.

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Mar 22, 2011, 07:25 PM »
I live in Michigan and we have the yellow perch but we also have what I call lake Michigan perch. I always wondered if they are a different species? You can tell them apart when you catch them. They are whiter and they come in bigger schools and you mostly catch them over rocks when spawning. I just thought i would ask if you had any kinda info on that. Thanks i like the info you have been giving use its very interesting.

My perch are of Lake Erie stock 30 + generations removed.  No difference as far as I know in appearance other than environmental color differences you observed. The perch probably spawn on the rocks due to a lack of weed growth. Next best thing.  Mine do fine in a pond environment or a tank.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #42 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Great info. taxid, thanks a ton for all your valuable feedback. I'm getting very interested in this operation. Given the size of my two properties, (2 and 4 acres), I could never have an operation like yours...but a smaller scale coud be possible..maybe.

taxid

« Reply #43 on: Mar 23, 2011, 12:29 AM »
Great info. taxid, thanks a ton for all your valuable feedback. I'm getting very interested in this operation. Given the size of my two properties, (2 and 4 acres), I could never have an operation like yours...but a smaller scale coud be possible..maybe.

My property is only 3 acres total. Each back pond is 1/10th acre and the front pond is .62 acres. Small ponds are easier to manage, require less water, and easier to drain if necessary.

The pond directly behind the house grew out brooks to over 6 lbs., browns to about 12 lbs., and a rainbow just over 9 lbs. by running in a well 7 months of the year.

Here's a brown my twin is holding:

steeda9

« Reply #44 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:24 AM »
great pics and info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.