FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Using braided line on baitcasters  (Read 33592 times)

JamesK

Using braided line on baitcasters
« on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:36 PM »
I use a baitcaster probably more then spinning rods but each has there place. My question is everytime i spool with braided line after several casts the line will dig it self into the spool. I have tried several different brands and they all do it. I use shimano and they tell you you can use powerpro. The only thing different is i opt for light line 12 to 14 lb test. I was told that is more for spinning rods. Am i using to light of line? Dont want to throw away another 25 dollars on a spool if its all for nothing.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
Re: Using braided line on baitcasters
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:45 PM »
You gotta back the spool with monofilament then tie the braid onto that. I used power pro braid with the diameter of 12lb test never had a problem with it digging in.

JamesK

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I do that. Do you use 12 lb test or 12 lb dia. Big difference

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:50 PM »
12lb diameter/50lb test. Smaller the diameter the line on a baitcaster the more it digs in. So for braid you probably want to run 50lb test and up.

JamesK

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:51 PM »
thanks for the reply it just saved me money for more tackle lol

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Not a problem. Just out of curiosity what are you using braided for, flipping/pitching/punching and top water?

JamesK

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Jigging for walleye with swimbaits in the spring of the year as well as frogging and topwater. Just find the baitcaster works so much better the spinning rods when tossong plugs or frogging

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Ah I agree with the baitcaster, I just spool with 12lb flurocarbon for jigging and swimbaits but with frogs and top waters and pitching I like the braids. Quicker hook sets I feel.

jtk2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:31 PM »
when you spool the braid on you have to make sure you put it on very tight so its solid enough that the braid wont dig in. i have them do it at the tackle shop with the machine. i havent had a problem. i think i use 15lb on 2 bait casters, 25, on one and 50 on the last. powerpro is what i use. backing is a must to stop slippage but i dont think it would help with the digging in. best prevention is a super tight wrap of the braid from the start of spooling it on.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:07 PM »
A baitcaster made for braid is a plus. They typically have line guides/ level-winds that move faster back and forth across the spools so that the line is more "criss-crossed" on the spool rather than wound neatly "side by side.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:17 AM »
Seems like most of the new baitcaster's are pretty braid compatible.

jibbs

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2013, 04:22 PM »
I don't use alot of braid on baitcasters... Only for my buzzbaits, frogs and swim jigs ...I use 30 or 40 lb...they boys are right...heavier poundage will reduce the dig in
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2013, 01:57 AM »
Yup! I learned real quick with the dig in when I spooled up with 8lb test.

mr tip up

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I put mono on first then the braid 10 lb dia 40 lb test no problems use it for flipping top water,and swim jigs I use bass pro shop brand and love the stuff
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:20 PM »
when you spool the braid on you have to make sure you put it on very tight so its solid enough that the braid wont dig in.

x2!

This is the answer to your problem. Adding backing or tape prevents the line from slipping on the arbor, where it seems like your drag is loose. When I spool superline, and that's all I use on my baitcasters, I use a glove and put it on as tight as I can possibly get it. I never have issues with "digging in".

/m

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.