FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Using braided line on baitcasters  (Read 33594 times)

JamesK

Re: Using braided line on baitcasters
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:47 PM »
every cast will vary in distance as you do a change over, or wind gets up. The line will loosen up on the reel no matter how tight you first spooled it on.

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:37 PM »
True to some extent, James. Only the line that is cast and retrieved will be loose(r). If your lure puts enough drag on the line it should still spool up pretty tight. If not it's easy to occasionally let some out the back of the boat or down current and tighten it back up.

The trick is getting the whole thing tight, from the arbor up, then if things get funky it can only dig in so far..........

/m

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:44 PM »
I just use 50lb and 65lb power pro and never worry about it.  I've never once had a problem with it.   I use it on my flipping rods, my frog rod, and one of my utility rods.   

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:37 AM »
I'm with bigredfishing. 50lb test braid and no issues

pascoag icefisher

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:07 PM »
I just took my old 12 pound braid off and replaces with 50 lbs power pro braid. I hope that does the trick. So i can spend more time fishing and less time messing with my gear.

ClearCreek

« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2013, 09:53 PM »
I use 30 lb PowerPro on my Cardiff 201 and NEVER have a "digging in" problem.  I must be lucky.

ClearCreek

dagfish

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Thanks for this discussion, I've had the problem with some small braid and didn't realize that the diameter of the line was the problem.

dagfish

slipperybob

« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2013, 06:51 PM »
The trick to avoid backlash with braid on baitcasters is that every once in a while doing a long cast to clear up the loose loops on your spool does an excellent job of avoiding backlash.  Furthermore you just have to pinch the line and crank it on snug.  Sometimes, you have to pull some line off the spool to and then pinch the line and crank it snug.  I do that on other lines as well, but more often is needed on braids.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.