FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: FireLine question  (Read 4196 times)

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
Re: FireLine question
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:00 AM »
Thanks.  Think I'll try it this year.
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

Pikeguy

« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:06 AM »
2)  Guide damage.

I haven't had any problems yet and I'm using Cabela's Pro Guide Series rods and St. Croix Premier's for icefishing.  I have heard of people having guide issues but I personally haven't had trouble. 

Slipbob, I'm really glad to hear you haven't had trouble with your guides with Fireline. I took your advice and got a Cabelas Pro Guide IM6 and was worried about the guides. Now I won't even think about it  ;D

carpcatcher

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2005, 10:46 AM »
They claim the 20 lb. fire line is 12 lb. dia. of mono.  I havent had any guide wear either and some of those 40" stripers in the tide can realy make the drag sing for a long time.
     Jim
Love 2 fish

beerman

• mmmm..........Beer!!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2005, 12:26 PM »
I just started using fireline this year and i love it.  casts farther and the no stretch is great. I didn't use the mono backing and had no problems so far.  was that just for spooling it on your reel that you need that mono??
I'll have a double Jack and Coke!!

cnyfishing

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:00 PM »
I use fireline and I love it. i like to use a fluro leader just for confidence of the fish not being able to see the line, and so if I get snagged it will break off.
2)  Guide damage.

I haven't had any problems yet and I'm using Cabela's Pro Guide Series rods and St. Croix Premier's for icefishing.  I have heard of people having guide issues but I personally haven't had trouble. 

Slipbob, I'm really glad to hear you haven't had trouble with your guides with Fireline. I took your advice and got a Cabelas Pro Guide IM6 and was worried about the guides. Now I won't even think about it ;D
I've never had problems with guide damage, using a $20 rod.
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:02 PM »
  I will be catching mostly pike and walleye this season, so the store owner recommended the 10lb FireLine to me, he said for most fishing situations that is heavy as you need to go, anything heavier and it makes it real hard to feel the smaller lures.
  Slipbob, does FireLine now come in hot pink or was that a different type of line you were talking about? If so it must have just come out this year as I have not see it in the shops or catalogs. 8)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

treed942000

• Bailee and Sandee
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:21 PM »

Slipbob, does FireLine now come in hot pink or was that a different type of line you were talking about? If so it must have just come out this year as I have not see it in the shops or catalogs. 8)

Water Wolf

Water Wolf,

Cabela's and Bass Pro are now carrying hot pink.  I ordered that for all my Whisker poles.
Tight Lines,
TReed

Open Water @ www.myfishfinder.com Icy Conditions @ www.iceshanty.com Hunting @
www.myhuntingforum.com

turkeyhunter10ga

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:35 PM »
I've been using Fireline for quite a while now , and haven't had any problems with it . I do the same as Caprcatcher when spooling it on , either tie the knot and then place some tape over the line to let it start winding  , or put some tape directly on the spool , tie the line and sart spooling. Have never had any slippage since doing it this way.

Also haven't had any probs with cutting into ceramic guides.

When i get a snag i'll use a pr of needle nose pliers to wrap the line around to pull with , otherwise you'll get a deep nasty cut .

killitandgrillit

« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2005, 07:09 AM »
I dont use fireline, but other synthetics probobly work much the same way, as far as reel slipage. I use spiderwire (the woven kind, not fusion or any of that crap). What I do is throw a couple of rubber bands over my spool before I wind it up. I've tried the mono backing gig too- but  what's the use of having a 20 pound test line if you get into the mono backing? The mono will snap way before the spiderwire will snap or cut. Yes, i've had it dig down into the spool before, but not often. It's worth the headache of unravling a few messes- it's high strength, it's low memory, and I can cast a country mile!
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

walleye1

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Thanks Slipbob!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2005, 01:41 PM »
  Devil-man, I read that fire line will dig in if it is not spooled on the reel tight enough. The article stated that a person should keep it under a lot of tension when spooling it on. :)

Water Wolf
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

FingerLakesBen

« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2005, 04:49 PM »
i've been running 14lb fireline on my baitcaster for the past fews years or so.  the stuff is good thats for sure, but one thing i realized real quick was to back the drag off.  the first few fish i pulled the hooks right out of them.  once i backed the drag off no problem.  i don't run any mono leader for toothy critters, but it really sucks when you get hung up.  don't grab the line and try to pop it by hand.  i think i still have a scar from that LOL   :laugh:

FingerLakesBen

« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2005, 08:27 PM »
hey slipbob,
 have you played with fireline for jigging eyes?  just curious because last spring in canada i talked to a guy in camp who was complaining about missing a ton of fish.  just made me think that the forgiveness of mono while jiggin (especially vertical) outwighed the sensitivity of fireline.

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Definately depends what you are fishing for. I love fireline for all my icefishing rigs but when I go salmon fishing and I launch into a 55 lb salmon the fireline does dig into the rest of spool and get messed up. Maybe its because I'm casting a fair ways out into the river and there is a little tension on when reeling in. But when a big salmon strikes the tension is much more and it digs in. I fished a day with fireline on the river then went back to mono, and have had no problems. On my icefishing rigs I also put on a leader.

devil-man

« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2005, 12:45 AM »
When the stuff does dig in it's not like you can just clip out the knot and keep fishing, either.
You need a d**n machete!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.