FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what if your buddy did this?  (Read 6850 times)

threeten

• I fish,therefore,I lie!
what if your buddy did this?
« on: Sep 04, 2013, 04:43 PM »
went to the marina Monday morning to clean up and cover my boat up. went by myself so I could take my time.
another friend rented a slip for the weekend(labor day).he came to get his boat and brought a third buddy with him. I had my gear on the dock
and was snapping the cover on when they got there. that's when it happened!! the third guy grabbed my tackle bags and walked them to my truck,he put two of the bags on the passenger seat and set the third bag next to the anteanna on the HOOD! I saw the two bags inside and closed the door and went back to the cabin.as I was packing up to go home,I noticed the bag was missing and asked him what he did with it.
we went back and looked but ya it was gone.  the bed of my truck was empty,the back seat of the cab was empty,and he set it on the hood?where you really can't see it?
the bag was a bass pro folder type bag for plastics,over stuffed with every gulp and plastic baits that I liked. >:(      I know he didn't do it on purpose
and he was bummed for me. I'm mad at myself for letting someone else grab my gear!  lesson learned,but sick over what It'll take to replace :'(

so lets hear some of your stories-maybe someone can make me feel a bit better,I need it

mr tip up

Re: what if your buddy did this?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2013, 05:33 PM »
he should at least offer you same money towards it
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

threeten

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2013, 06:19 PM »
he did.  I won't take it. 
he's going thru a rough time and just getting back to work. besides some tackle isn't worth a friendship.he's helped me with jobs at my daughters and sisters houses never charging any labor.just kinda venting and wondered what's happened to other guys.
that said-if it was my main tackle bag-I'd still be dunking him in the lake ;D

fontona19

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I have one for ya. I have a buddy with a Bayliner Trophy that we use mostly for trolling. We had just finished a day of trolling on a favorite laker lake, and packed up all the gear in his boat to start the trek back to the launch. As it happens he has vertical rod racks that hold all of his trolling rods, which are mounted dead center on the inside of the transom. That's when it happened!!! He got a bit over zealous with the throttle and I went straight back into that rack full of $300 combo trolling rigs. When the smoke cleared I had only officially destroyed two of the rods, and one of the reels, but at quite the cost. I felt horrible, and offered to pay for all of my destruction. He had none of that, instead choosing to throw it in my face at his leisure. I am still paying for those rods.  :laugh:

OTIS

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2013, 06:50 AM »
Accidents happen to all of us, you have to learn to let them go.  I've been on both sides of that coin, and it's just as unpleasant in either situation.  We've all unintentionally done some foolish things.  The quicker you can laugh it off, the quicker you can move on.  The lesson is in learning to forgive others and help them to forgive themselves. 8)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleye1

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Accidents happen to all of us, you have to learn to let them go.  I've been on both sides of that coin, and it's just as unpleasant in either situation.  We've all unintentionally done some foolish things.  The quicker you can laugh it off, the quicker you can move on.  The lesson is in learning to forgive others and help them to forgive themselves. 8)

Well said.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2013, 10:15 AM »
If it was not done with malice in mind, then his offer to help pay was sufficient.
As already stated, "Accidents happen" and they happen to the best of us, usually at the worst possible time!

I would consider it a learning experience for both of you.
You will be more mindful of your gear, regardless of who is helping with it. and he will be more mindful of other peoples possessions.

What I find ironically humorous is when you have the chance to see the roles reversed, and see how the other person reacts.

Anyway, hope you can replaceyour gear at minimal cost and loss of fishing time!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

threeten

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2013, 03:49 PM »
great thoughts and comments guys. didn't mean to come off like I am really mad at him,I'm not. I'm more upset with myself because I know better and am kinda anol about my gear. just wanted to share my loss I guess?
 good friends mean more than any material thing and would not let something like that ruin one. stuff can be replaced,friendships can't.
 he'll be getting some ribbing I'm sure,like  fontona19's buddy,but that's it.

Lundin-loading

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Year before last during the end of ice season, my buddy had been leaving his gear in my sled at my place since we always fished together. One morning we agree to meet at a local lake, i load up the sled head to lake, were fishing for salmon and i have all the gear we needed, so were only into my tackle all day. At the end of the day we kind of mention not having his tackle on the ice with us and dont think much of it, when we get back to the truck its painfully obvious his tackle is long gone, either bounce out of the truck, or was left and somebody helped themself to it. I felt pretty crappy/responsible about it and offered to replace it, he wouldnt have anything to do with it, last season i put in a large order for both of us at PK lures, i payed for it and told him it was my share of his lost tackle and told him to enjoy.
Beauty

threeten

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2013, 09:21 PM »
I'm hoping some kid finds it on his way to the lake and it launches his career as a fishing addict!! ;D
wouldn't that be a hoot!

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I've fumbled my buddy's 100$+ downrigger setup into lake ontario with fish on, and had my best friend run over my favorite rod with a mitchell 300 reel that worked mint with his new caddy, as well as had tackle boxes stolen from my truck. my buddy threw a caulk gun with a full tube in it on my favorite walleye rod and snapped it in two, and i have lost 2 rods to the river becuz of my short attention span, and my kids have broken numerous expensive poles. You handled it like a champ just never let him forget and he should be good for at least 10 beers and a couple favors by the sounds of it ;D  ya gotta bust them chops but its all in good fun, at least we're all still alive and fishin! when that drag's screaming it's all good :thumbup_smilie:
done dirt cheap!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:05 PM »
All in one go my buddy casted my baitcaster, got the worst backlash I've ever seen then snagged my favorite lure and snapped my brand new rod trying to horse the snag out

Poot

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Sucks threeten. I hate when other guys use or touch my stuff. If you're like me you can't really afford to replace gear once. I buy nice stuff and I'm very protective of it.

But, here is my story. I have a friend that lets me borrow anything. Reason being is everything I borrow returns in the same condition if not better. I used both of his wire set ups for a Striper derby. This was a charity event so everyone was here "to give back"....
So I had both my leadcore set ups, 2 nice spinning setups and my two tackle bags on board along with the two wire setups I borrowed from him as I have another friend that just bought a boat and I have lots of gear and said if he covers gas I'll bring gear. We had a great day the 1st day and stopped back at the dock to gas up and run up to the store at the marina to grab a sandwich and head back out. Now mind you there are boats everywhere, all of which are participating in this event...but in the time it took the two of us to run up and grab a sandwich (probably 4 minutes) someone lifted one of my buddy's wire set ups. Unbelievable that we are there for a charity event, we are surrounded by both boat owners and charter boats all who have their gear all over the place and someone lifts this. well, it cost me $475 to replace it.

It could have been worse in that they could have taken more but it never ceases to amaze me that there are dinks everywhere.

threeten

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2013, 06:02 AM »
great stories guys!!
remembered one that happened a few years ago.my buddy(not one in my first story)bought four new trolling rods with line counter reels,7' diawa rods.as we got back to the launch he put them in the rod holder in the vertical position.well it was the first time we fished out of this launch and he was showboating his new set-up with it being really jammed with guys that day.as he pulled the boat out he pulled through the lot to get out of the way and right under a low branch and snapped off two rods!

Special

• Who wants to go fishing!!!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Got a couple of errrrs but this one was the best. I bought me a bran new rod and reel. A 14ft pole for shore fishing.  We get to the lake and start setting up the poles. Unknown to me my very good fishing partner picked up my pole and leaned it on my tail gate when I was not paying attention. It was in his way for some reason. He still to this day can figure out why he moved it but it just needed moved. And bam I closed the tail gate right on my new pole snap and we both just looked at each other.  And he just started laughing at me. Fishing Partners and our funny punch lines.
No one left behind  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.