FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What is the most versatile fishing boat you've had?  (Read 10889 times)

JoeGG

Re: What is the most versatile fishing boat you've had?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2015, 07:23 PM »
I have a 16.5 sea nymph with a 15 hp 4 stroke Honda that's bullet proof. Trolls down to 1.6 mph  and can handle any conditions Winni throws at me. I have been in 14 foot Lunds and the bow gets tossed around. I can troll 2 full days on 3 gallons.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Your 3hp should have no troubles mounting right to the transom, and the boat will draw like 4" with the short shaft, haha.   Boat won't plane out with a 3hp, so you're fine:

My boat is console steering with controls and the steering slide piston makes it impossible to mount a kicker. The 3hp even has a single clamp mount and it doesn't fit unless I lock the wheel to the far left so the piston doesn't contact the clamp. And on the other side the steering cable is just totally in the way of the transom. So I can mount it on the side with the slide piston but it makes my big motor un-useable. It can be worked around with a trolling motor bracket though.

I like what you have done with your SF14! I always struggle with the choice to rip mine apart and rebuild how I like it, but there are things I would need to change so much it becomes better to just sell it. For example, one of my biggest gripes is no power trim on the motor, so if you factor in a new outboard or a CMC powerlift along with what it would take to rebuild, I question how much it's worth me spending the time and money. Plus it's basically all original now, it would probably sell better that way- maybe not... I don't know. You can see how tormented I am about this!

One thing that I do love about the boat is how easy it is to tow and launch/retrieve. And yes, it can get in some skinny water while still being able to handle some big water. I think I just need to finally take this boat to the salt and see how it does. If I am happy with how it performs, I will keep it until I hit the numbers or something.

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2015, 08:19 PM »
A big pontoon....with a bar........and plenty of room for friends ;D

Rg

yup

:w00t:

youp50

« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Have to agree, the ultimate versatile boat has not been made.  Buy lots of them.  I have 4 now.  A Tyee with a 4 cyl Mercruiser I/O and 15 hp Honda kicker, a 16 ft Crestliner johnboat with a 18 hp 4 stroke Tophatsue motor, a 10 foot pram with a 6 Evinrude, and a 10 fan boat.  They all have there place,  If I had to choose one, it would be the Tyee.

IFF

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2015, 09:55 AM »
When it comes to fishing, if its too ruff out for my StarCraft (Metal) 18.5 foot 140HP, then there would be a lot of boats that shouldn't be out either.  I really like the deep sides, for the Grandsons, I took out the folding bench seats, added a front platform, and live well.  1979 model, total invested, $1,700

*¿*  Bud

stripernut

« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2015, 09:36 AM »
A FISHING MACHINE!!!

cabrolet

« Reply #21 on: Jun 29, 2015, 02:53 PM »
2003 Lund Alaskan 1800SS, still have it, great rugged, safe boat.  I have made quick and easy on and off attachments such as duck blind, stern mounted rod rack, bow casting plat form, 25 gal live well.  Been meaning to post up some pics.

greensider

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2015, 04:51 AM »
i have been in over 50 boats in the northeast i fish big lakes and small ponds also the hudson river i have owned a few power boats for the last 13 years i have owned a 17 foot v hull alluminum boat with a 75 horse merc best boat i have ever fished from its 90 inches wide you should stay at that width or wider it makes all the difference in rough water i would take an alluminum over a glass boat any day

jeffro9023

« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2015, 08:57 AM »

This rig is a walleye catchin, duck shootin, river scoutin, puddle jumpin machine....Dont believe me? come out with me some time.
Where can I catch a crappie? Thanks in advance

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.