FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye opener  (Read 6433 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Walleye opener
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2022, 06:24 AM »
Getm Fred!!!

X2 Fred, make em hurt!

iceman260

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Good luck to all who go on the opener, I don't fish weekends so won't go until Thursday or friday.

Old Timer

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2022, 07:12 AM »
Just wondering how long Oneida Lake can continue to hold good numbers of Eyes with the new 5 per day limit and perch with the 50 a day limit.  Then there is the explosion of Sheepshead that everyone releases and the sturgeon sucking up the Walleye eggs, the advances in electronics and the increasing numbers of fishermen… I read about “the science” yet the DEC uses a survey (in most cases) of fishermen to determine limits and seasons .

gotagetm

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2022, 07:42 AM »
I keep all sheep head I catch, my labs eat raw meat and fish I filet them and dogs love them!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2022, 10:23 AM »
Just wondering how long Oneida Lake can continue to hold good numbers of Eyes with the new 5 per day limit and perch with the 50 a day limit.  Then there is the explosion of Sheepshead that everyone releases and the sturgeon sucking up the Walleye eggs, the advances in electronics and the increasing numbers of fishermen… I read about “the science” yet the DEC uses a survey (in most cases) of fishermen to determine limits and seasons .

An average fisherman with advanced electronics will likely always remain an average fisherman. 

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2022, 11:17 AM »
You don't have to keep 5  ;D....h2l

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2022, 01:41 PM »
You don't have to keep 5  ;D....h2l

People always chicken little bag limit increases...ironic in this case because you'd need 50 years experience to bag a limit from Sac consistently.

Fishin-Mission

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2022, 03:22 PM »
Years ago the limit on Oneida was 10 walleye, later reduces to 5 and then 3. Also there were some size changes, I remember 13 inches, then there was the 18 inch size limit and then back to 15. It all depends on the population and predominate size of the fish.  My only b***h is about changing the walleye opener from the first Saturday in May to May 1st. I would always have some of my friends from up north come down for the weekend to fish walleye.  We celebrated it for over 30 years. I even sent out invitations since the 1990 when I got a computer.  It can't be Walleye Weekend if it opens occurs any day of the week. They ruined my annual event. I guess we could wait for the first weekend after the opener but it just would not be the same.  The spot we usually fish will be all fished out.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2022, 04:11 PM »
the  first  sat in may  made it  so the  average  working  guy would  get  opening day  off  this  year it  is  on a  sat.    next  year  a  monday  ......do i think the 5  walleye  limit will lower the  walleyes  yeah......but be honest it wasn't to  hard to  fill your freezer anyways......if the  numbers go below  what they want then what ....stock more fish and go back to 3 .....truth is Oneida  is  a very well managed  walleye fishery
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

oneida1

« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2022, 04:12 PM »
Well old timer from my understanding they want to knock the populations down a bit on the eyes thats why they went to 5 i would guess if that is acomplished maybe back to 3, as far as perch i dont think the 50 limit hurts anything  and if walleyes are reduced a touch more perch...As far as fishing pressure yeah theres alot at times other not so much May -June  is usually busy as is first ice , Im not sure who i feel about the new 5 fish would still like to see a slot limit. Think the lake is in good shape always will be highs and lows...

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #25 on: Apr 30, 2022, 06:20 AM »
People always chicken little bag limit increases...ironic in this case because you'd need 50 years experience to bag a limit from Sac consistently.

You make me feel young...lol. As a non-fish eater I keep very few. My daughter likes a fish or two when she goes out with me and I have an older couple (older that me) that I take a few to....h2l

Old Timer

« Reply #26 on: Apr 30, 2022, 04:05 PM »
I’ve seen it all. From 25 per person/12 size limit. To 3 per person 18 inches.  Opening from May first to the first Saturday.  Good spawning years to terrible and sometimes a couple in a row. 
Just my opinion.. Don’t get your panties all bunched up……..   The hatchery does nothing for Oneida Lake.  Yes they dump a few million fry back into the lake for the perch to gobble up but how many do they ship out ? If they knocked the dam out at Scriba Creek and let the eyes run up it and spawn , in my opinion, there would be a lot more eyes in the lake..  I’m sure there are a lot of eyes they net and strip that would have spawned on the rocky areas in the bay. 
Oneida Lake is not “put and take”  more like take and take. 
So they say there are too many eyes in the lake . Skinny fish ? There are always some skinny fish, like people.  The thin ones used to be called pin pike.   
So now they nearly double the limit. Being an old grouchy conservative I was in favor of holding the limit at 3 but would have been ok with 4 ( a number never considered) but open the gate Jenny, fill the live wells.   
I’m probably too old to see the full impact of this jump to 5 fish PP.   I hope it does not kill it for y’all.     
Rant over.   Enjoy opening day.. 

trapper2000

« Reply #27 on: Apr 30, 2022, 05:18 PM »
i rather  eat perch  anyways

filetandrelease

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30, 2022, 05:33 PM »
i rather  eat perch  anyways
I keep some eyes but for my table fare I’d take gills and perch first , but that just me , I do really enjoy that shore fall eye season , keep that water level up this fall 😃

trapper2000

« Reply #29 on: Apr 30, 2022, 06:37 PM »
i like  the  fall  bite  you know  that  and  my brother loves  the  fish  ......blue  gills  and  perch   on my  table  with a  few  trout mixed  in  .......  oneida  i  will say this  it's  a  lot easier to   get  a limit of  eyes  then it  ever  has  been....i  don't  even  fish for them threw the ice  and  catch them.....

hope everyone  has a great time and stays  safe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.