FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627920 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1410 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Thanks everyone. My B-Day was great.The Family came for dinner, terrorized my Grandson,  smoked up a nice turkey. tipped a few toddies......Life is good!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #1411 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:11 PM »

;D
Ummmm? This picture needs to be re-sized!! :w00t: LOL!! Your package is on it's way. Left you a text today as well!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1412 on: Mar 20, 2013, 01:58 AM »
Thanks Larry. Mr Scrat will come back around.

Bought a huge bag of Coyote belly fur patches for $12 on Ebay. Turns out the furriers trim off the exact fur we use and sell it as scrap. if anyone needs any let me know or I can pass along the source. I'm just waiting on a raccoon pelt to arrive and it's gonna get UGLY! Ausable ugly that is  :w00t:

There's just never enough stuff. :-\

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

1morefish10990

« Reply #1413 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Since I'm new at tying have a question for you guys. What's the difference between elk hair and whitetail hair.also is copper wire considered ribbing

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #1414 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:08 AM »
Since I'm new at tying have a question for you guys. What's the difference between elk hair and whitetail hair.also is copper wire considered ribbing

elk hair has bigger hollow areas in the shaft of each guard hair, which means its easier to spin and 'puffs out' more readily when spun. 

michfish

« Reply #1415 on: Mar 20, 2013, 11:31 AM »

and yes copper can be used as a rib  so can floss and tinsel. elk hair is a thicker heavier hair like said over that of deer hair and flairs just as well.  there are different part of a deer belly hair rump hair next to the tail that can be fairly long etc..  so it really depend on ware it came from the grade of deer hair is grade on length and thickness of the hairs.  Chris helm is real big in to this he is a master tier from Ohio. well known threw out the world of fly tieing deer hair bass bugs... some deer hair can resemble that of elk hair because it is so course compare to that of very fine deer hair.. and that rump hair can be longer like buck tail is longer then the belly hair most of the time.  which make it very good option for hair bass bugs at least big ones the hair closer to the rump does lol's.   so if you hunt it is a added plus to get the pelt if you can any ways wish you the best...

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #1416 on: Mar 20, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I tie a Egg Sucking Nymph using medium copper wire as thread. Wrap shank of hook with the wire , apply dubbing wax and dubbing to the wire(black body/red egg), taper the body in a stone nymph fashion, add a half hitch, pull tight and just snap it off. Fast, easy fly to tie and catches fish too.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1417 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:37 PM »
What is it you want to tie? You can often substitute materials that are more readily available.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1418 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I'd like to thank my good friend KP for sending me a care package. You and JR will have some new bugs to play with ;D

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1419 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Thanks Larry. Mr Scrat will come back around.

Bought a huge bag of Coyote belly fur patches for $12 on Ebay. Turns out the furriers trim off the exact fur we use and sell it as scrap. if anyone needs any let me know or I can pass along the source. I'm just waiting on a raccoon pelt to arrive and it's gonna get UGLY! Ausable ugly that is  :w00t:

There's just never enough stuff. :-\

RG
Your welcome!  ;) I saw a dead hawk on the side of the road today...was going to stop for it...wasn't sure if I should of taken it...then decided to call the DEC and let them know where I saw it. Also, asked them if I could have it, they said...NO!! Man, there were some cool looking feathers on that bird!!--KP 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1420 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Yeah, birds of prey are  verboten . I'll admit to tying with road kill. My favorites are geese, turkeys and squirrels. I thought about a fox once  :sick:

I carry a knife and plastic baggie with me when I go out to run in the morning. I have a good stock of squirrel tails ;D

Ya see 1More.... this is an incurable disease.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1421 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:57 PM »
There is no known cure...... ;D

1morefish10990

« Reply #1422 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:05 PM »
im already feeling it. i keep wanting to try more flys. its hard to decide which ones to go for this early in testing

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1423 on: Mar 21, 2013, 01:13 AM »
My order in the teaching/learning process would be;
First, choose a specie of fish you're going to pursue
Second, consider the water you want to fish i.e. lakes, ponds, streams, rivers etc.

Once you've decided, choose 2or 3 standard patterns  and tie some up until you get a good fishable fly.

Most of all, get on the water with your flies and catch some fish.

We can help you with choosing basic flies and materials. Are you new to fly fishing too, or just tying flies?

RG

1morefish10990

« Reply #1424 on: Mar 21, 2013, 01:49 PM »
basically both i did ok on stockies last year and on bluegills but that was first year with rod. and started tying this past week. im realy interested in stocked trout right now mostly in lakes but a river every now and again

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.