FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628063 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1425 on: Mar 21, 2013, 04:28 PM »
I'll defer to more avid trout fishers for specifics.

I've been tying Ausable Uglies ;D

My thanks again to KP for Mr Scrat. They'll be along soon Buddy ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #1426 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Looking good RG. I know you're in possession of coyote so when do the sirloins come out?

1morefish10990

« Reply #1427 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:24 PM »
hey guys really getting into tying. were do you guys buy your meterials. also i keep finding lots of flys with grizzly hackle. is that a must or can it be substituted?

michfish

« Reply #1428 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:06 AM »
hey guys really getting into tying. were do you guys buy your meterials. also i keep finding lots of flys with grizzly hackle. is that a must or can it be substituted?

hookhack.com or jannsnetcraft.com  truthfully your better off buying stuff in-person cause you can judge it for your self like will it work by the way grizzly hackle  really has no substitution for it . I always by a size 16 hackle size for 14  dry flies and so on.  if you do not get why ask why...i find in "Michigan" there is only three color you relay need maybe four if stone flies count in black lol's.  but any ways  brown, grizzly, and like a medium dun. if you want to know how to grade hackle ask that too. i always by necks and saddles  if your using a lot of grizzly in a certain size try the saddles in the size specified. if tying small amount for personal stuff necks are best for this. they have fewer hackle in certain sizes but cover a wide range of sizes.  but hackle is  always best graded in person.    

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1429 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:56 AM »
Bartman, That's the next "ugly" on the list ;D

The list of places you end up buying materials from is endless. From Home Depot to Orvis. For specific materials like capes you'll need to go to a fly tying source. I buy from Jann's, J.Stockard, Mudhole, Feathercraft, Flyshack etc. Most of my materials, hooks, beads, thread, synthetics, fur etc. come from Ebay. With a little experience, you'll have a better idea what of you're looking at and then you can hunt for deals.

Capes have become a commodity item in short supply ever since stupid Steven Tyler put a grizzly hackle in his hair for TV. Fortunately for we tiers, that fad appears to be winding down. The end result is still the same though, short supply and way higher prices. At one point I could have sold 10 individual feathers for 3x what I paid for the whole cape. I just couldn't part with my stash.

Anyway, I like Janns for reasonably priced, decent quality Keogh capes. They're an investment, but you get an awful lot of flies from each. Grizzly hackle is just that. The mottled quality lends feature to a fly. I don't tie a lot of dries, but I have the stuff for it when I want to.

I'd suggest that you get a sample pack of 1/4 capes. Many suppliers offer them. You don't want to practice with an $80 Master Grade cape.

Lastly.......BUY GOOD TOOLS!  Nothing is more frustrating than a crummy fly tying tool.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Chuckles

« Reply #1430 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Fly tiers   aka  fly nutz,

Last evening after my grandson came home from school.  We watched some Youtube videos on fly tying.

He seemed to show some interest in fly tying so I got out my vice and showed him a few of the beginner steps.

Now I've got a slight problem. My sight isn't what it used to be so I need to buy a headband type magnifying glass.

For those of us suffering from  "Youth Deficiency"  what do you suggest?     I looked on Ebay and  there are  a bunch

of them.  What focal length do I need?  They have them from  8" to 20" and different  magnification powers.

Help !!

Later....Chuckles

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1431 on: Mar 22, 2013, 03:45 PM »
I use a 3.5 pair of "cheaters from CVS. They slide right over my glasses for instant bifocal power. Works for me.

RG

wiredstone

« Reply #1432 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Hot colared hares ear
wooo fish on. Never mind

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1433 on: Mar 23, 2013, 01:35 AM »
You tie some very nice flies my friend!

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1434 on: Mar 23, 2013, 04:15 AM »
everytime  i  tie  up a  nice  fly,some fish comes around and messes it all up!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1435 on: Mar 23, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Aaaaaaa....That's the general idea Trapper ;D

Hey, I'm on vacation the week of the 1st. I wouldn't mind a field trip for some gills if you're game.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #1436 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I'll defer to more avid trout fishers for specifics.

I've been tying Ausable Uglies ;D

My thanks again to KP for Mr Scrat. They'll be along soon Buddy ;D

RG
Very nice my friend! Thanks!--KP 8)

Great fly wired!! 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1437 on: Mar 23, 2013, 07:12 PM »
I've tied a dozen so far. They come out a but differently each time. They're just plain "Ugly"  ;D

RG

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1438 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:56 AM »
RG  I AM  GAME!!!!  hey  do ya  think  we  can  get  KP  to  carry  some  of  our  gear  ???? ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1439 on: Mar 24, 2013, 12:59 PM »
I like that pattern :clapping:

I had an idea for my bench to make it a bit more durable and brighter. I bought a poly cutting board for $4 at the Dollar store and mounted it under my vise. I like the groove all the way around. Beads won't roll off onto the floor any more ;D

Rick, Pm me your PH#.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.