FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628086 times)

fishgalore

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1665 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Steelhead will hit anything that pisses them off ;D They're territorial buggers. I always favored egg sucking leeches for steelies. I did a lot of that fishing. Drift a hunk of sock on a hook through their hole and they'll attack it.

Mcginty's are good for sure. Don't forget to go really tiny too. A mosquito pattern in #18 will make them crazy when you see them up towards the surface. I had some serious fun with the 2wt last year tossing teeny tiny stuff to the gills. Man that's fun.

RG

According to some Delaware river guides I spoke to recently Browns do the same thing! The method of choice in high turbid water (which moves them away from their comfort zone) is to throw streamers let 'em sink and then strip baby strip!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1666 on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:15 AM »
You guys have me in full blown spring fever mode :-\

Man I'm tired of winter.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1667 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Ditto on that RG.  Sheepshead on the Oak, right?  They're such a strong fighting fish - I've got to come out & try that.  June?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1668 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Yup...June. They're a hoot on a 5wt. Take your wooly buggers.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #1669 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Ditto on that RG.  Sheepshead on the Oak, right?  They're such a strong fighting fish - I've got to come out & try that.  June?

you guys should try for the gar that hang around the lower river closer to the lake (between the metal bridge at narbys and the beginning of the marinas)  huge schools of them  not sure but I think they are a little bit later then the sheepies. 

fishgalore

« Reply #1670 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Here's a few recent ties:-
Blk Beauty

Midge Emerger

Sulphur Emerger

Drake

Just extended my time on the Upper Delaware from 4 to 7 days. I'll be tying more Sulphurs & Drakes instead of Hendricksens & Red Quills.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1671 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:55 AM »
Nice ties. I should book a spring trip and get my feet wet in the Delaware.

RG

Bartman44

« Reply #1672 on: Feb 21, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Steelhead will hit anything that pisses them off ;D They're territorial buggers. I always favored egg sucking leeches for steelies. I did a lot of that fishing. Drift a hunk of sock on a hook through their hole and they'll attack it.

Mcginty's are good for sure. Don't forget to go really tiny too. A mosquito pattern in #18 will make them crazy when you see them up towards the surface. I had some serious fun with the 2wt last year tossing teeny tiny stuff to the gills. Man that's fun.

RG

When I was a steelhead addict many moons ago, we used to tie and drift Sneaky Pete look-a-likes (complete with rubber legs) that we drifted with lead subsurface. They would clobber them and the kings liked them even better.  Steelhead like rubber legs more than bass do.

Nice tying everyone. I'm working on some redfish and snook flies  ;D     

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1673 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Don't be bragging about your suntan when you get back ;D

But, have fun and...let's see some of those flies.

RG

Bartman44

« Reply #1674 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Don't be bragging about your suntan when you get back ;D

But, have fun and...let's see some of those flies.

RG

So far, in looking at redfish and shrimp patterns, many are tied with brownish or root beer colored materials and I'm short on those so I'm winging it with the materials I have.

Gump

« Reply #1675 on: Feb 22, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Well I haven't tied much.....but that's because I've been working on my first rod build.  A 6'3" glass  (4)piece #2/3 wt.  Can't wait to chase some specks !!!

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1676 on: Feb 22, 2014, 02:21 PM »
That is very nice...   Some awesome talent on this thread...   Wish I had some... :(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1677 on: Feb 22, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Judging from that elk mount, you're right in there too Dom.

Very nice Gump. A classy build for sure. Enjoy your newest friend. 

Bart, Have you ever messed around with Loon UV coatings? Some of those ties are crying out for clear UV heads. Looks like you're in for some serious fun.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1678 on: Feb 23, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Well,  a friend asked for some Hi-Vis Parachute Adams. He's getting on in years and has trouble seeing the fly on the water. So, I dug out some dry fly stuff. I don't tie dry very much but they seemed to come out OK.

Just for the sake of reality, my bench is not always neat and pretty...

Starts like this;
TMC100 # 12>18, I also use 200R N-curve hooks
Uni 6/0 olive
Adams Grey Superfine Dubbing
Grizzly hackle fibers (tail)
Grizzly hackle
The post can be what you like. I used calf tail, antron, egg yarn or polypro yarn

Start your thread and stop about 1/4 the way down the hook shank

Tie in your indicator facing forward

I use my home made parachute gizmo to hold the indicator while I wrap the post

Wrap in front and back and up the post to stand it up straight. Then taper a body with thread.

Tie in the tail fibers

Dub a small noodle and begin wrapping forward forming a tapered body and covering the post base.

Prep a hackle thus

Tie the hackle in in front and up the post. Notice I left a good bit of bare shaft to start the wrapping.

I'll use the gizmo again to hold the post upright while I wrap the hackle down

Pass the thread under the hackle parallel to the hook and capture the end. Take 2 or 3 good wraps to tie it off.

Trin the excess hackle off and pull everything back to get the thread towards the eye. I use another small noodle of dubbing to hide the thread. Whip finish at the eye.

The 2 in the middle are Stacker Hackle Adams.

RG

kc

« Reply #1679 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:18 PM »
nice, I like the post holder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.