FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627802 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2070 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Well I'm a long ways from the surf...unless the wind is really howling! The pike sure seem to enjoy them!

lol  I  use  similar  myself  I  find  pike  attracted  to poppers also  ..... I  think anything that  looks  like a  bait  fish  is  on their  menu ...nice  flies
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Bartman44

« Reply #2071 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:45 PM »
We've got some tying going on now boys!  Nice work.

Thanks for the foam purchase tips fellas. $$ saver.

trapper2000

« Reply #2072 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:50 PM »
hey  bart  another  dollar  saver  ...that  thin  white  some  times black,  thin  foam  they use  packing and  shipping  ...save  that  great  wing  material .....

Bartman44

« Reply #2073 on: Mar 24, 2015, 08:05 PM »
hey  bart  another  dollar  saver  ...that  thin  white  some  times black,  thin  foam  they use  packing and  shipping  ...save  that  great  wing  material .....

Good one, thanks, my wife likes on-line shopping, seems like a new package arrives every day.  :o

The best part of tying is that the possibilities are endless. I remember getting yelled at when I was young when I "borrowed" some tail material from my mom's tri-color collie.  ;D   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2074 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:13 AM »
Read Pat McManus' "Rubber Legs and White Tail Hairs".

Tie up some "Hoppercators" Bart.

Use a cricket pattern and add a loop of mono front and back.

Use it as an indicator in line with a nymph dropper.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2075 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:17 AM »
took a trip to  bass pro yesterday ,I needed head cement and  the assistant recommended a water base producted called hard head clear by loon outdoors ...this stuff sucks it cost me 3 times what  a bottle of waspa head cement would have cost , takes  about a hour to dry and is messy ...... don't buy this  ,mine has now been neatly stored in the trash and I will be calling bass pro to tell them it sucks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2076 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:09 AM »
Dang California EPA treehugger approved junk I'd say. Well, lesson learned and thanks for the heads up. I still use Hard as Nails or superglue or nothing at all.

Don't use epoxy any more either. Just Loon UV clear. The stuff is awesome. Just don't buy their light. It's worthless and overpriced.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2077 on: Mar 25, 2015, 06:44 AM »
they were out of head cement and the guy said it was good .....  good for nothing ...I'm headed to all seasons right now ..... nice hoppers 

boondox

« Reply #2078 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:46 PM »
they were out of head cement and the guy said it was good .....  good for nothing ...I'm headed to all seasons right now ..... nice hoppers  

tried sally Hansen's hard as nail's clear nail polish? Works awesome dry quicker then loon etc.. etc.. basically the same stuff but they thin the loon etc brands  that come in liquid head cement bottles. they thin it so it take more to use and sink in to the warps a little better... if you got a walmart or rite aid or wallgreen's or some kind of other pharmacy by you stop in and get some clear sally's nail polish i bet you guy switch...  they use a lacquer thinner to thin the nail polish for easier application...    by the way i not talking the epa approved head cements by loon there junk like said

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2079 on: Mar 25, 2015, 05:57 PM »
Amazing that we....the real men of the world....get hooked on fly tying and then spend our time in the women's cosmetic section at Walmart and scouring the shelves at craft stores. Funny how we get over the embarrassment so easily :P

If our wives asked us to pick up some feminine hygiene products for them we'd have a seizure.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2080 on: Mar 25, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Amazing that we....the real men of the world....get hooked on fly tying and then spend our time in the women's cosmetic section at Walmart and scouring the shelves at craft stores. Funny how we get over the embarrassment so easily :P

If our wives asked us to pick up some feminine hygiene products for them we'd have a seizure.

Rg

But we still pick up dead animals along side the road -  my wife would never do that.   ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

boondox

« Reply #2082 on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:48 PM »

Rg

if mine ever did that to me i make her get some glo in the dark condoms for tying flies of course! for like the latex caddis.... if wondering the recipe i will  post it all it has is hook 31760 mustad for trout or a eagle claw hook sold at cabelas i forgot the model # for steel head off hand if you need it just ask i will look it up...   then you use the  glo in the dark latex cut in to strips wrap around a hook and brown hackle Palmered up it. tie in a shell back of carpet yarn or even some thing similar in tan the lay latex naturally is a yellow color and the bug when finished look like a hex nymph...  then at night you shine a uv light on them and catch more fish so the fun does not stop there...   fair is fair as far as i am concerned.. ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2083 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:43 AM »
So as not to sink too far into the depths of fly tying depravity, I'll forego asking why you might have such a thing or where you may have acquired it.

Passed a lot of pretty fair looking streams on our way to pancake heaven yesterday. Our breakfast club made the spring trip to Cartwright's for buckwheat pancakes .mmmmmmmmmmm!

Not much snow left down there other than on the hills. Passed a DEC stocking truck from Bath on 390. Looks like the trout boys will be in business for the opener.

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2084 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Rg...one question about the Hoppercator.  I understand the mono loop in the back so you can tie on a dropper.  Why the loop in the front?  Perhaps some way of rigging it so you can vary the depth of the dropper?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.