FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627844 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2145 on: Apr 14, 2015, 02:24 PM »
does tying egg sacs get you on this board?  :D

put a little  glow bug yarn in them and your all good
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2146 on: Apr 14, 2015, 05:21 PM »
I tie carp sacs in the summer. Mix of creamed corn, powdered milk and corn meal. Tie them up and carp away ;)

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rp dog

« Reply #2147 on: Apr 15, 2015, 08:14 PM »
    Just wondering if any of you guy's know of hook dealer or wholesaler in your area out east. Looking for specialty hook 14 or 16 horizontal stile jig hook with eye turned opposite direction from normal. I guess what I'm trying to say most jig hooks have eye in same direction as hook. I'm looking for hooks with eye turned side ways. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i could i would post pictures of what I'm looking for but we are working on that. Was hoping I could do it of my phone but haven't figured it out yet.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2148 on: Apr 15, 2015, 09:43 PM »
    Just wondering if any of you guy's know of hook dealer or wholesaler in your area out east. Looking for specialty hook 14 or 16 horizontal stile jig hook with eye turned opposite direction from normal. I guess what I'm trying to say most jig hooks have eye in same direction as hook. I'm looking for hooks with eye turned side ways. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i could i would post pictures of what I'm looking for but we are working on that. Was hoping I could do it of my phone but haven't figured it out yet.

Where did you buy the hooks to begin with or is this something you've seen but not been able to find?

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rp dog

« Reply #2149 on: Apr 15, 2015, 10:03 PM »
 I usually buy everything from jansnetcraft out of toledo but they don't carry these and i don't know if anybody does anymore. Last time i bought them was probably ten years ago. It might be a long shot but i would like to buy a couple thousand if i could find them. I don't build a lot of this style but they do work pretty good for ice fishing.
           ...thanks.  R P

boondox

« Reply #2150 on: Apr 16, 2015, 12:43 AM »
try googling this place...

captain hooks discount hook ware house

rp dog

« Reply #2151 on: Apr 16, 2015, 07:59 AM »
try googling this place...

captain hooks discount hook ware house
Just looked there boondox thanks going to have to keep looking it is a pretty small jig hook.

trapper2000

« Reply #2152 on: Apr 16, 2015, 01:38 PM »
if  you remember the  hook manufactor  call them direct ,they at least could  set you up with a  dealer

rp dog

« Reply #2153 on: Apr 16, 2015, 02:00 PM »
if  you remember the  hook manufactor  call them direct ,they at least could  set you up with a  dealer
  Thanks trapper I'm afraid thats where I'm at I was hoping might be someone on that worked at a fly shop. Not a common hook that i use but a drop of solder some paint and a touch of maribou makes pretty good wiggler imitation. With the weight forward 
Thanks rp

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2154 on: Apr 16, 2015, 10:32 PM »
So...

Instead of the hook eye being on the same side of the hook as the hook point (the underside), it's on the top side, correct? I'll ask several of my associates if they're aware of such a hook and where to get it. One of my associates is a devout center pinner who ties a lot of his own "micro" jigs (1/50th - 1/100th oz.) and he gets a lot of his materials out of Canada so maybe he knows. The other fella I have in mind is a fly fisherman/tier that has tied for over 50 years so he's kind of a resource junkie so to speak and knows where to get a lot of hard to find stuff.

If I come up with anything that can help, I'll post it.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

boondox

« Reply #2155 on: Apr 16, 2015, 11:12 PM »
if using lite wire hooks like Aberdeen hooks the bottom hook in this  photo is possible with juts bending with two pair of pliers  no flame the flame will wreck the temper of the hook for sure .. but it is possible to bend them so they look like what you want if you can find the hook in a 14 then turn the eye around it should work for you just don't twist it to much cause they can anneal like copper can and brake or crack..

rp dog

« Reply #2156 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:06 AM »
So...

Instead of the hook eye being on the same side of the hook as the hook point (the underside), it's on the top side, correct? I'll ask several of my associates if they're aware of such a hook and where to get it. One of my associates is a devout center pinner who ties a lot of his own "micro" jigs (1/50th - 1/100th oz.) and he gets a lot of his materials out of Canada so maybe he knows. The other fella I have in mind is a fly fisherman/tier that has tied for over 50 years so he's kind of a resource junkie so to speak and knows where to get a lot of hard to find stuff.

If I come up with anything that can help, I'll post it.

WK
what it actually is called is a 60 degree bend flat eye . The eye is up same as regular jig hook just turned. The 60 degree bend lets me get weight in right position to make it swim better.
Thanks again rp

rp dog

« Reply #2157 on: Apr 17, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I do have a catalog coming from barlowstackle see what they have. Don't even know where there located but looked like they might have them but won't know until I get the catalog.

trapper2000

« Reply #2158 on: Apr 19, 2015, 05:07 AM »
seems like I seen some English patterns using hooks like that ! 

flytying has been interrupted bye fishing .will be  back soon  ;D

gaspumper

« Reply #2159 on: Apr 19, 2015, 07:03 AM »
[Google mustad 60 flat eye hook is that the type of hook you are looking for?If so  luremaking.com carries them./quote]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.