FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627880 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2190 on: Apr 25, 2015, 12:24 PM »
Actually, I didn't seal them with anything. Didn't want to add any weight. I need to float them and see how they act.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2191 on: Apr 25, 2015, 03:58 PM »
pretty cool RG
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2192 on: Apr 25, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Actually, I didn't seal them with anything. Didn't want to add any weight. I need to float them and see how they act.

Rg

Nice lookin' damsels/dragons Rg... Now I know what I can use those odd colors in my packets of foam for. I'm assuming that's Bucktail for wings and the furled leader extended body looks great. You could always rub some fly floatant into the furled section if you need to.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

KingPerch

« Reply #2193 on: Apr 25, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Great job bud! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2194 on: Apr 25, 2015, 07:24 PM »
The tail is Antron. Cut a piece about 6" long and clamp one end in the vise. Twist the Antron as tight as you can ( it helps to wet your fingers) then take your bodkin and place it in the center as you relax the tension it will furl itself into that nice tapered tail. The Antron will definitely float, but some payette paste or other flotatant will help I'm sure.

Makes a really easy and good looking tail. I was thinking about furling In some flash or something, but, that's another project.

And yes, the wings are buck tail from the base of the tail. More hollow than the longer hairs. I like the blue foam a lot, even though I don't really believe fish recognize colors.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2195 on: Apr 25, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Those are cool.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2196 on: Apr 25, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Kinda tricky getting the wings even though. Guess I'm just a fussbudget  :-\ The fish won't give a darn.

Rg

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2197 on: Apr 25, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Nice flys rg...hopefilly they will catch u a fish...

Out4Trout

« Reply #2198 on: May 09, 2015, 12:21 PM »
I've heard talk of a red & white fly called a "doodle bug" or "devil bug". So I looked it up and tried tying a couple. Fairly simple.

I also have a couple of Royal Wulfs on the left that I tied over the winter. The poster that mentioned the doodle bug said that dare devils are red and white and work well, so these attract trout in the same way. I hope to try them out this afternoon. I also tied a similar red fly, but it's my coworkers family secret design so I can't show a pic of that one.   :-X  I'll let you know if it catches fish though.   :D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2199 on: May 09, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Nice ties!

No such as a secret fly around here!

I like the doodle bug pattern. I have some tied with foam that work very well mid season. Kinda like a humpy but different.

Rg

Out4Trout

« Reply #2200 on: May 09, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Thanks RG.

I went to a little brook where I caught a few brookies a couple weeks ago. Couldn't believe how much the water level has gone down. Made my way to a little pool, I had the secret fly on and it looked good in the water, but no takers. So I tied on a doodle bug. I had a hard time following it in the water, it would lay just under the surface and would get lost in the little white suds on the surface. I didn't put any floatant on it, maybe I should have. I did get a few strikes, but very light, never did connect. I worked my way up the stream but didn't have any more strikes. I used to fish this stream with worms when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I could have produced a fish if I had worms............

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2201 on: May 10, 2015, 03:35 AM »
I was fishing gills yesterday morning on a stream near my house. I had a few flies I wanted to try. The gills were zeroed in on something and hitting the surface. I didn't have a seine and couldn't detect what they were feeding on. I threw a half dozen different dries at them. Had a few fish on the Wolff patterns but they wouldn't touch anything else.

Finally I tied on a pretty good sized foam popper. One of these

That they couldn't resist ;D

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2202 on: May 10, 2015, 04:47 AM »
They look like candy, "Bluegill Candy"

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2203 on: May 10, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Notice he didn't say what color...lol...h2l

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2204 on: May 10, 2015, 08:01 AM »
Orange is what I had with me for some reason.

Those little foam poppers are super easy to make and work better than any other  style I've tied. I tie some smaller ones for the 2 wt.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.