FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628184 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2310 on: Jun 12, 2015, 06:00 PM »
You could throw some rubber legs on it too John :w00t:

I was looking at it thinking that if one was to use polypropylene yarn instead of chenille it might float better.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2311 on: Jun 13, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Well fellas...

It was another productive day of trolling the yard sales for the Mrs. and I. After basically nothing but the usual crap at the first three or four we stopped at, I got lucky and bought an Orvis leather and canvas tackle/gear bag at a sale for $2.00. The man told me just prior to my spotting it that he had sold the rods and reels he had already so I figured there wouldn't be much to see. Well, this bag was hanging on a rack with some misc. men's and women's coats and at first I walked past it. Something about it made me go back and when I turned it around, I immediately saw the name "Orvis" and a price tag of $5.00 so I snatched it up. When I walked up, the man said, "just gimme two bucks for that". Done deal!! I knew it was  worth a lot more but I had no idea how much. The one I bought doesn't show any signs of ever being used so when I got home I started snooping to find out what it might be worth.

I found the exact bag I bought today listed on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ORVIS-Fishing-Tackle-Bag-Canvas-and-Leather-1970s-/321756335604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aea2c0df4

Personally I thought it was a pretty good score!  ;D  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2312 on: Jun 13, 2015, 09:13 PM »
^^^^^^^^^Nice Score!!!!!!! I gotta start hitting yard sales in your neighborhood.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #2313 on: Jun 13, 2015, 09:28 PM »
You could throw some rubber legs on it too John :w00t:

I was looking at it thinking that if one was to use polypropylene yarn instead of chenille it might float better.

Rg
Good idea Bob....already tied a few but will tie a few with legs

i tried the link from "trout" to the maine website and it said i need a "plug in" to view the video.....don't know???
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2314 on: Jun 13, 2015, 10:30 PM »
^^^^^^^^^Nice Score!!!!!!! I gotta start hitting yard sales in your neighborhood.

Yea... it was definitely the highlight of the day. We stopped at another big sale only to find out that it had been going on since Thursday. Bummer was... the fella who's stuff was being sold (he was deceased) apparently had been an avid fly fisherman most of his years because there were a number of fly fishing books, stream maps, and some misc. fly fishing related items but the lady told me his fly rods and reels as well most of the rest of his stuff went the first morning. I did however pick up three hardcover and four paperback books (four by NY author Nick Lyons) that were about fly fishing, although they're not instructional type reads, they're written more like a novels or recollections by the authors. I also got a brand new Weksler stream thermometer, a leader straightener on a retractor, a brand new combo nipper/nail knot tool, a Ketchum release retractor, and various PF&BC embroidered fish patches all for $10.00

Another stop produced an antique fish spear that's pretty cool for $2.00 and at the last stop I bought three ice jigging rods for $6.00. Wish I knew that sale with the fly gear started Thursday and got there early... God only knows what kind of stuff that old fella must have had.

WK

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #2315 on: Jun 15, 2015, 08:08 AM »
Good idea Bob....already tied a few but will tie a few with legs

i tried the link from "trout" to the maine website and it said i need a "plug in" to view the video.....don't know???
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2316 on: Jun 16, 2015, 04:41 PM »
So.....I've been playing with the Doodle Bug pattern.

I kind of settled in on a variation of the Cooper Bug, a Devilbug imitation.

I'll name it "Bob's Foam Body Silly Bug" .......for lack of a better description :-\

It floats like a cork and lands hook side down. I think the gills are gonna love it. Hopefully I'll get to test it out tomorrow.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2317 on: Jun 16, 2015, 04:51 PM »
I like it.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2318 on: Jun 16, 2015, 05:22 PM »
It has some redeeming qualities eh?

;D

Rg

Out4Trout

« Reply #2319 on: Jun 16, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Nice looking Doodle Bug variations rg. Sorry the link didn't work for you icejohn.

I believe a green body works well also.

Has anyone tied/fished with a Lafontaine Sparkle Emerger? A friend told me the trout are hitting them now. It looks a bit complicated and I don't have all of the materials. Looks quite fishy though.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Tying-the-Lafontaine-Sparkle-Emerger/

oatkasut

« Reply #2320 on: Jun 16, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I don't tie but two guys were the only guys catching trout in the Beaverkill the 3rd of June with that pattern!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2321 on: Jun 16, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I think any fly sipper swimming would take that!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2322 on: Jun 16, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I think any fly sipper swimming would take that!  ;D

Yea... it has Bluegill bug written all over it!!

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2323 on: Jun 17, 2015, 03:06 AM »
Nice looking Doodle Bug variations rg. Sorry the link didn't work for you icejohn.

I believe a green body works well also.

Has anyone tied/fished with a Lafontaine Sparkle Emerger? A friend told me the trout are hitting them now. It looks a bit complicated and I don't have all of the materials. Looks quite fishy though.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Tying-the-Lafontaine-Sparkle-Emerger/

I'm not a huge Orvis fan, but their tying videos are some of the very best. That pattern looks a little fussy, but, easy enough.

I've got a bunch of different color deer hair to play with. I'm gonna tie up some other variations. Fun pattern anyway ;D

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2324 on: Jun 17, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Bob....I likey!!!  The gills are going to be all over that.  Going to steal that pattern from you.  My Gurgle pops may be taking a back seat.  Foam bottom, deer hair top, right?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.