FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627940 times)

perch-hound

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2445 on: Aug 05, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Looks like a great trout killer as well RG!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2446 on: Aug 05, 2015, 09:36 AM »
While I had the dubbing out, I decided to try some "Fuzzy Martinis"  ;D

Gonna add them to today's stream assortment.

Water is up and a little stained. Something in there ought to work.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2447 on: Aug 05, 2015, 03:05 PM »
I see some bead head wolly worms  ;D  one  of my  first flies I tied and  still one of my favorites ...  I like  olive  with  griz hackle  :thumbup_smilie:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2448 on: Aug 05, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Hit the stream this afternoon for a while. Everything came on the crayfish thing. Rockies and smallmouth galore. Spent 3 hours on a hundred yards of stream ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perch-hound

« Reply #2449 on: Aug 07, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Made an epoxy mixer out of an old dc motor(8rpm), the mixing cup uses two rollers to mix.
I simply hook it up to an ice fishing battery.

Here's a hand carved stick ready for paint, then epoxy..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2450 on: Aug 07, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Looks good. When it's mixed, pour it out on to a tin foil covered plate. It extends the pot life by 5x or so and allows any small bubbles to escape.

I have a mixer I made from a 10 rpm 120v motor I salvaged from one of those stupid Christmas reindeer that used to light up and move its head. I use a couple of big ball bearings. It's what I use for building rods.

Rg

Yachtzy

« Reply #2451 on: Aug 07, 2015, 12:48 PM »
How hard do you think this is to tie? I'm looking around to pick up a setup to tie some flies, as a winter night hobby. This one catches my eye the most, and there is more bass than trout in my neighborhood, that's why. Mostly all the mice around here are light grey to charcoal color, so would have to play around with the color too.

boondox

« Reply #2452 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:20 PM »
How hard do you think this is to tie? I'm looking around to pick up a setup to tie some flies, as a winter night hobby. This one catches my eye the most, and there is more bass than trout in my neighborhood, that's why. Mostly all the mice around here are light grey to charcoal color, so would have to play around with the color too.

see if you can locate chris helms video on spinning deer hair the first one in the series teaches how to add weed guards etc and spin hair I know they got them at this link... any how they make a gray suede  called ultra suede at this link ... and they sell some nice deer hair for dyeing but not sure if you in to that stuff along with lots of thread to use for it and the description's of the break strengths...  I bet you could get all the same stuff threw fish usa if you tried hard enough... nice thing about his video is you can watch it several times not one time and your done like a fly tying class... any how see link they are easy to do even shave and trim them I suggest scissors but a shaving double edge blade will do better also look up the mouse rat pattern that one is easier yet to tie and trim...  

http://whitetailflytieing.com/

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2453 on: Aug 07, 2015, 02:38 PM »
That's a pretty mouse ;D ....pain in the butt to tie....unless you have a knack for it like Trapper;D

My beady eyed corn fly :evil:

Gonna stream test it tomorrow.

Rg

Yachtzy

« Reply #2454 on: Aug 11, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Thanks for the info boondox. That may be a little tricky for me to do, but I'm going to give it a whirl.

Here is one probably more my speed, and I know it will work on the fresh stocked trout in my area. Used to find butts in almost every one we kept. ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2455 on: Aug 11, 2015, 05:19 PM »
I believe I'd go perch fishing for dinner :-\

Rg

boondox

« Reply #2456 on: Aug 11, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Thanks for the info boondox. That may be a little tricky for me to do, but I'm going to give it a whirl.

Here is one probably more my speed, and I know it will work on the fresh stocked trout in my area. Used to find butts in almost every one we kept. ;D

this is the one I would try the other is a real pain in the butt... no pun in tended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s2cFUZ2R9c

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2457 on: Aug 12, 2015, 05:46 AM »
fish don't eat mice or cigarette butts that's just silly talk
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Yachtzy

« Reply #2458 on: Aug 12, 2015, 08:40 AM »
I plan on using the mouse in a river for smallmouth, because I don't have much experience with trout, there are not too many spots around me that hold them.

The cig butt is a prop, but I know it will work at this trout place just for giggles. Believe it or not, there are slobs that throw their cig butts in the water, and out their windows, I see it all the time and it drives me crazy.

One of my friends father had an old time small jitterbug that had a black leather body (the rough side of the leather, not the smooth side) and it was a SM magnet. That's why the mouse really attracts me.

I'm impressed with the mouse on the Youtube link boondox posted more than the picture I had.

boondox

« Reply #2459 on: Aug 12, 2015, 11:11 AM »

I'm impressed with the mouse on the Youtube link boondox posted more than the picture I had.

it is a real easy tie cause you don't have to shave the mouse's butt to look like a mouse on this pattern make things a lot easier but that just me and you said your new to tying deer hair so just a suggestion...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.