FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628010 times)

Swamp Rat

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3345 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Nice ties!  I need to work on some scuds too. Rumor is local trout like them a lot.
Thanks alot! good luck with yours, this was an easy tie...saw the video on youtube.

love those fuzzy ties! they work wonders. I like wood duck containing flies as well.
Thanks! Can't wait to fish them.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3346 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Green wire brassies on a size 20. awesome little caddis or midge imitation. Good little nymph, works awesome as a dropper off a dry.

Nice ties Matty, well done. I haven't tied past a size 16 but picked up some sz18 hooks today to tie some midges.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3347 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Last tie for tonight....sz14 frenchie nymph.

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3348 on: Mar 24, 2018, 10:00 PM »
Tied some sz.14 wood duck scuds today, nice easy tie.

Nice stuff. Gotta get my self to the vise. Geo.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3349 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:50 AM »
now  I might have  tied a  flie  or two so I hope a  few suggestions  might help someone ..... I have  found  the  best  scud  pattern is  a  lose tied  hares ear on a  scud  hook  comb the  bottom out ......  RG is telling you right the  tails   should  be  the  length of hook point to hook shaft ....and  a  big suggestion is a  good  note book.....  go back to your beginnings   and  take  your  time  and  enjoy yourself

http://www.flyfisherman.com/fly-tying/tying-flies-beautiful-flies/
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3350 on: Mar 25, 2018, 12:50 PM »
The best videos I've seen are Davie McPhail's. He's a master at proportion and economy of materials.

Trapper is right. Take your time and enjoy yourself.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3351 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Wanted try "split thread dubbing" because I had never done it before so I tied a dozen of these sz14 fuzzy critters. Bead head with 8-10 wraps of .020 lead free round wire will get them down quick. 6/0 Danville flymaster sure is tough to split....... :o Had to raid the Mrs. sewing kit for the smallest needle I could find ;)

boondox

« Reply #3352 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Nice ties!  I need to work on some scuds too. Rumor is local trout like them a lot.

For scuds..
Try some ostrich hear palmered like a hackle with either scud back or yellow latex glove strip color with either sharpie or a pantone pen I have even used flashabou for the scud back in pearl flashabou as for tails lemon wood duck or the points from the ostrich hearl?? Heck of a lot easier then working withostrich hearl  then dubbing and picking it out is...

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3353 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:15 PM »
now  I might have  tied a  flie  or two so I hope a  few suggestions  might help someone ..... I have  found  the  best  scud  pattern is  a  lose tied  hares ear on a  scud  hook  comb the  bottom out ......  RG is telling you right the  tails   should  be  the  length of hook point to hook shaft ....and  a  big suggestion is a  good  note book.....  go back to your beginnings   and  take  your  time  and  enjoy yourself

http://www.flyfisherman.com/fly-tying/tying-flies-beautiful-flies/
Great tips and info, thanks!

For scuds..
Try some ostrich hear palmered like a hackle with either scud back or yellow latex glove strip color with either sharpie or a pantone pen I have even used flashabou for the scud back in pearl flashabou as for tails lemon wood duck or the points from the ostrich hearl?? Heck of a lot easier then working withostrich hearl  then dubbing and picking it out is...
I've done a few like that and like the looks but the "shell back" material I'm using seems a bit stiff to work with in that small size 16 and pattern.  I'll have to give the latex glove material a try soon.  What I really need is for the weather to give us all a break.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3354 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:55 AM »
Try a plastic sandwich bag for shell back. I use it often. Cheap and stretches nicely. Try tying some like the ones in the middle with the red Bead. They're killers.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3355 on: Mar 26, 2018, 04:30 AM »
Try a plastic sandwich bag for shell back. I use it often. Cheap and stretches nicely. Try tying some like the ones in the middle with the red Bead. They're killers.

Rg
I'll give that a shot.  Back to the craft....I mean tackle shop.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3356 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Walmart has glass beads...
Cheap !

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #3357 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Nice assortment there RG. Have to ask what the white ones are at the top  that sort of look like a deranged octopus?

My tying is all over the place, I'm back at the salt stuff

Let's keep this going.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3358 on: Mar 26, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Nice assortment there RG. Have to ask what the white ones are at the top  that sort of look like a deranged octopus?

Let's keep this going.

Well done Bartman 8) Nice looking flies.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3359 on: Mar 26, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Nice assortment there RG. Have to ask what the white ones are at the top  that sort of look like a deranged octopus :thumbup_smilie:?

Let's keep this going.

That  my friend is my "Clump O' Spikes"  the gills like them.

Those flies look really good. I've never been able to produce that style of fly. Mine usually look like a road kill chicken on a hook.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.