FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628070 times)

big_guy_13021

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3360 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:33 PM »
I like the dubbing when you split the thread but takes me to long lol I think there's a flat thread out there that slot a guys use wish they sold it already split..I usually just pick mine out or the little guy pics it out

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3361 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Tied these sz.14 beaded brassie nymphs today, peacock hurl thorax, copper wire..... bead heads were 3 brass and 3 silver.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3362 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I like the dubbing when you split the thread but takes me to long lol I think there's a flat thread out there that slot a guys use wish they sold it already split..I usually just pick mine out or the little guy pics it out
I've been trying a loop and like the technique.  Need to make a hook. 
Nice brassies, SR!!
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

MattyP123

« Reply #3363 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Keep it up fellas. Nice ties!

boondox

« Reply #3364 on: Mar 27, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Tied these sz.14 beaded brassie nymphs today, peacock hurl thorax, copper wire.....

Very very nice better then I can do..

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3365 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:16 AM »
lot  being  said  now  about  the "mop jig"  or "mop fly"  it's a  fly you either  like  or hate ....  me personally it  catches  fish  so I like it ,  it's  made  from  artificial materials  and  it  represents some  type of  insect  larva or  natural food  source  for a  fish ......  it's  very easy to  tie   either  find a  mop  duster  or  car wash matt   or  I  just  twist  chenille....  heres   a  great  how  to  video that our  good  friend  the internet supplied .....which    I must take a  minute to say ...sometimes  I hate  and  other times I love the  internet but  this is true ,when I  first started  tying flies ohhhhhh a  few  years ago I  would  depend  on  fly shops  and  other  flyfisherman for  information  and  would  buy a  fly and  copy it  till I could  tie it  I would  go the to library or  wait   for  a  book I  ordered  to  come in the  mail ,I guess what i'm saying is  50 years ago   you put in  more  time  to learn ,now a  google  search and you have  the pattern  where to get the materials  and  it  can  be  next day shipped .....in away it's  great , in others it  kinda losses something

anyways  enough   time  to get off my soap  box  and   this  is a  great  how  to  video ...the  mop fly WORKS!  and  is  fun and  easy to  tie  great fly  for  youngsters to  try  and yes  it  makes a  great  jig as  well  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NhT6hSMOg
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3366 on: Mar 28, 2018, 12:10 PM »
lot  being  said  now  about  the "mop jig"  or "mop fly"  it's a  fly you either  like  or hate ....  me personally it  catches  fish  so I like it ,  it's  made  from  artificial materials  and  it  represents some  type of  insect  larva or  natural food  source  for a  fish ......  it's  very easy to  tie   either  find a  mop  duster  or  car wash matt   or  I  just  twist  chenille....  heres   a  great  how  to  video that our  good  friend  the internet supplied .....which    I must take a  minute to say ...sometimes  I hate  and  other times I love the  internet but  this is true ,when I  first started  tying flies ohhhhhh a  few  years ago I  would  depend  on  fly shops  and  other  flyfisherman for  information  and  would  buy a  fly and  copy it  till I could  tie it  I would  go the to library or  wait   for  a  book I  ordered  to  come in the  mail ,I guess what i'm saying is  50 years ago   you put in  more  time  to learn ,now a  google  search and you have  the pattern  where to get the materials  and  it  can  be  next day shipped .....in away it's  great , in others it  kinda losses something

anyways  enough   time  to get off my soap  box  and   this  is a  great  how  to  video ...the  mop fly WORKS!  and  is  fun and  easy to  tie  great fly  for  youngsters to  try  and yes  it  makes a  great  jig as  well  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NhT6hSMOg

Trapp,  You said it.  I too started tying a while back and now getting the grandkids into it.  Both my boys tie, but with their work, they don't get on the bench that often.  So, GP gets the teaching job. Actually my daughter ties better than all of us, but with her kids, job and busy life,  she doesn get to tie very oftn either. I get her tying when her boys are tying. I think they ( the boys) enjoy seeing mom tying flies.   I use the mops to give  them the confidence they need to try the more complex flys.   Oh yea, they do work, well.   Geo.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3367 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Some recent ties....3 of each sz18 beaded Gold Ribbed Hares Ear with a hotspot, smallest fly I've tied and sz14 Fuzzy Zebra Midge...Thanks for looking 8)

boondox

« Reply #3368 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:53 PM »
Very nice swamp rat!!  I see you figured out the macro mode of the camera for good reason!! I think cause small flies are not easy to see..

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3369 on: Mar 30, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Very nice swamp rat!!  I see you figured out the macro mode of the camera for good reason!! I think cause small flies are not easy to see..

Thanks Boondox...I wish my eyes had macro mode to see them  :o

timelydecisions

« Reply #3370 on: Mar 30, 2018, 03:22 PM »
What material do you all recommend for making the connection between tandem streamer hooks?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3371 on: Mar 30, 2018, 04:23 PM »
50 lb mono is what I always used. Haven't tied them in years though. I took a short piece of mono, burned the ends to form a small ball, tied it to lead fly, formed the fly then tied it onto the trailing hook. Then I'd place the trailer in the vice and wrap up that fly.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3372 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:35 PM »
This is all good stuff. I've been busy the past week so not at the vise bit keep it up.

boondox

« Reply #3373 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Thanks Boondox...I wish my eyes had macro mode to see them  :o

You to..  lol's .. oh by the way that brassie would be a awesome emerger type pattern done similarly if you used floss for body and a thin rib of gold round tinsel  as for the emerged wing a good loop wing of cdc and some dubbing to cover it up.. any colors you like those can be killer for trout when fished in the surface film..

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3374 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:03 PM »
.I been tying a ton of these had good luck from spring to fall with these..tons a different colors there strange but they really produce fish and lots of
them..browns and bows attack them and I tied a few bead head hares ear nymphs but I basically stick the this tie..

I've been tying mop jigs for at least 6-8 yrs and sol tons at bay bridge bait shop but i liked what trap said about twisting chenile for smaller ones...tried it on small jigs and tues caught lots of gills and crappie...thanks trap for a great idea...have to work on perfecting it.
icejohn

take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.