FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628040 times)

boondox

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3375 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:23 PM »
For those coming to michigan on vacation there is a emergence schedule book under the river refrence tab  at this link below..  that list the hatch of the time frame and what imitation works best weather nymph dry emerger spinner etc.. for stone flies caddis and may flies .. to bad there nothing like this for new York just a suggestion to check it out and the shops do stock some good local pattrens to if not knowNing what to tie but the book I am referencein will help you figure out what your useing and how to fish it.. any how best of luck..

http://www.challengechapter.org

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3376 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:55 AM »
You to..  lol's .. oh by the way that brassie would be a awesome emerger type pattern done similarly if you used floss for body and a thin rib of gold round tinsel  as for the emerged wing a good loop wing of cdc and some dubbing to cover it up.. any colors you like those can be killer for trout when fished in the surface film..

Thanks for the tip....been tying mostly subsurface stuff so some emergers and dries are a good idea.

oatkasut

« Reply #3377 on: Mar 31, 2018, 12:46 PM »
There is an excellent  book, called "Pocketguide to New York Hatches by Paul Weamer published by Stackpole books (2013)  which covers catskill, Adirondacks andWestern region of New York hatch charts, photos,  flypatterns,etc. It is a paraellel to his Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches (2009) coauthored with Charlie Meck. The New York guide is small in size so you can carry it around while you fish to identify insects. Enjoy!

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3378 on: Mar 31, 2018, 03:13 PM »
There is an excellent  book, called "Pocketguide to New York Hatches by Paul Weamer published by Stackpole books (2013)  which covers catskill, Adirondacks andWestern region of New York hatch charts, photos,  flypatterns,etc. It is a paraellel to his Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches (2009) coauthored with Charlie Meck. The New York guide is small in size so you can carry it around while you fish to identify insects. Enjoy!

Great looking book, thanks.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3379 on: Mar 31, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Tied some more sz18 beaded gold ribbed hares ear fuzzies today, used some more tan and lighter colors than before though....Thanks for looking 8)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3380 on: Mar 31, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Sounds like a great reference!    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=0811731707&cm_sp=mbc-_-0811731707-_-all
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

oatkasut

« Reply #3381 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Another priceless guide is entitled,"Hatch Guide For New England Streams by Thomas Ames, Jr. published by Frank Amato Publications, Inc.(2000) at www.amatobooks.com  I picked my copy up at an Orvis shop years ago. It's touted as an insect hatch and fly pattern guide for New England and Adirondack streams. Works here in Western New York too.

MattyP123

« Reply #3382 on: Apr 01, 2018, 05:15 PM »
The lake run bows like Tim Flaglers mop N  glo 2.0  :thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3383 on: Apr 01, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Tim is a great tier. I pay attention to his videos and especially his techniques. He and Davie McPhail are in my opinion two of the very best.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3384 on: Apr 01, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Tim is a great tier. I pay attention to his videos and especially his techniques. He and Davie McPhail are in my opinion two of the very best.

Rg

I have  to  disagree RG I think you and  I are  the two best  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

MattyP123

« Reply #3385 on: Apr 01, 2018, 06:13 PM »

Rg
Agree 100%

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3386 on: Apr 01, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I have  to  disagree RG I think you and  I are  the two best  ;D

Well...the best we've got anyway.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3387 on: Apr 03, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Put some time at the bench and tied up these sz.16 Olive, Red and Black BWO's, Thanks for looking ;)

Bartman44

« Reply #3388 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Those are nice Swamp Rat. Well done.

I finally got to some ant patterns, Also been tying a few fatty chernobyl  ants,  and I'm experimenting with blending plain old regular yarn  to make some cinder worm flies.

If it ever stops SNOWING, maybe we'll get to use some of this stuff soon???

boondox

« Reply #3389 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Swamp rat nice!

And Bart man very nice too I Like the buggy fuzxy looking body on the hopper my self my hexes have similar look...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.