FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627844 times)

Bartman44

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4320 on: Oct 25, 2023, 11:51 AM »
Bart those are perfect.  I like to use them in the spring or in deeper faster runs.  Pairing those with a more natural offering on the dropper.

If you guys want a challenge, look up harvey pusher, tie me a few!  (I need them for night trout but they dont seem to be available).

Ha, never heard of that one so I looked it up. I might have all the ingredients except for the big neck feathers. I need to look through my completely unorganized fly bench, will give me an excuse to clean things up.     

Bartman44

« Reply #4321 on: Oct 25, 2023, 11:56 AM »
Are you guys fishing that on a Euro setup?

I’ve seen those jig nymphs for a couple years now but always thought they were mostly just for Euro nymphing

I do not have a Euro setup but I believe Jon does. I've been entertaining the thought of purchasing one but I already have more rods than Cabelas and need to pull the trigger when my wife is not looking.  ;D

Still, I can give them I shot using my old-fashioned methods that have worked well for me, time will tell.     

westernmas

« Reply #4322 on: Oct 25, 2023, 12:30 PM »
You don't necessarily need a euro rod to euro nymph.  You can put a mono-rig on any old fly rod.  The difference is that you can't really cast a euro line or a mono rig like a traditional fly line.  It really almost like tenkara fishing where you are using a shorter, straight line to feel the nymphs and limit slack in the line/system.  Granted a longer more sensitive rod gives you better feel and a longer reach since you can manage more line.  You will also hear it called contact nymphing the thought is to stay in complete contact with the flies in the system and reduce drag so the flies are presented more naturally.  I'd argue its not technically fly fishing but it definitely works and is what competition fly fishing has exclusively become as it is so effective....And here comes Jon's thoughts.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4323 on: Oct 25, 2023, 12:58 PM »
Are you guys fishing that on a Euro setup?

I’ve seen those jig nymphs for a couple years now but always thought they were mostly just for Euro nymphing

Yes I have 4....various lengths all work pretty much the same.

Id echo what Pat said and add its nothing new. Mono rigs and fly fishing have been around forever.  Before I bought a euro rod I built a mono leader and put it on the 5w 9ft and it worked just fine. 

My thoughts pat....that day in May opened your eyes haha!  Time and a place for it.  I still prefer fly line for chucking big meat flies....but when it comes to pure catching...be hard pressed to beat euro.

Also by definition in most of the states I fish in its fly fishing if I have a competition line on.

ECobb91

« Reply #4324 on: Oct 26, 2023, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I’ve seen others Euro nymph before and considered getting into it but never tried

62 & Done

« Reply #4325 on: Oct 27, 2023, 08:28 AM »
Not really sure what Euro Nymphing is

lowaccord66

« Reply #4326 on: Oct 27, 2023, 08:20 PM »

Im short...generally longer rods, long leader, a colored sighter and weighted flies, mostly beadheads.  No additonal weight added like split shot.  Depth control is handled by beadsize. Only the tippet and flies are in the water below the sighter.  No fly line on the water.  Just another way to catch trout in moving water. 

KingPerch

« Reply #4327 on: Oct 28, 2023, 07:19 AM »
Heres a diagram of a euro nymphing set up. https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/data/657/medium/nymph_rig.jpg
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

lowaccord66

« Reply #4328 on: Oct 28, 2023, 09:22 AM »
Heres a diagram of a euro nymphing set up. https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/data/657/medium/nymph_rig.jpg

Close but no split shot or indicators generally.  The idea is to have direct contact with the flies as you lead them through a drift.

Doesnt mean you can use shot or indicators on a euro rig, I do that occassionally.  Also hopper dropper rigs work nice too. 

My formula is competition nymphing line, no more than 40" of 20lb maxima, then a blood knot to sighter, a tippet ring and then varying lengths of tippet.  (This setup is for fly fishing only areas)

The other rig is 60ft of 20lb OPST Lazar line, blood knot to white sighter material then another blood knot to tri-color sighter material, tippet ring and then tippet.  The lazar line shoots really well and has zero memory.  Horrible in the rain though, sticks to the rod blank.  This rig is typically called a mono rig.  Again been around for years and years.

62 & Done

« Reply #4329 on: Oct 28, 2023, 08:11 PM »
with the euro setup, it sounds like we're making very short casts. That sounds good to me.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4330 on: Nov 02, 2023, 09:42 AM »
with the euro setup, it sounds like we're making very short casts. That sounds good to me.

Its a lob for sure.  The opst casts and shoots like fly line.  Im usually drifting a rod length maybe 1.5 lengths from the tip.

62 & Done

« Reply #4331 on: Nov 02, 2023, 06:41 PM »
Typical brook trout fishing

oatkasut

« Reply #4332 on: Nov 02, 2023, 07:52 PM »
That was what I was thinking but I never called it Euro nymphing.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4333 on: Nov 04, 2023, 05:20 PM »
Typical brook trout fishing

To each is own but by definition definetly not typical brook trout style fly fishing.  Id dare say not suitable for that style, where id prefer a 7'6 5w, floating line, dries and or maybe dry dropper....but hey if it feels good to say typical brook trout fishing more power to ya.

62 & Done

« Reply #4334 on: Nov 04, 2023, 06:48 PM »
What do I know? I've been fly fishing for about 6 months. Everything I know I've learned  from right here on this sight or from my own mistakes . You guys keep writing , I'll keep reading.   :bowdown:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.